From: glee on
Robert,

If the email addy you are using here is legit, I can email you a .zip
file with an older version of Process Explorer that works with Win98.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

"Robert Macy" <macy(a)california.com> wrote in message
On Jun 9, 7:23 pm, "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > svchost
> > jqs
> > SMAgent
> > svchost
> > avgrsx (more of the AV)
> > avgemc (and more AV)
> > avgcsrvx (yet more AV)
> > alg
> > explorer
> > avgtray (and more AV)
> > hkcmd
> > MSASCui
> > Monitor
> > jusched
> > CTFMON
> > Taskmgr
> > cmd
> > ntvdm
> > explorer
> > avgnsx (last bit of AV)
> > iexplore
> > mscorsvw
> > cisvc
> > cidaemon
> > wuauclt
> > ServiceLayer
> > wuauclt
>
> > "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>
> >> LOL! Tim! Are you seriously going to discuss how XP runs all these
> >> background processes, and that post a task list full of third-party
> >> processes as proof?! Please tell me you are joking!
>
> >> Every one of the processes I have copied below from your list are
> >> third-party processes you have added (some are NT Resource Kit or
> >> XP
> >> Power Toys processes), not XP processes:
>
> >> RapportMgmtService.exe
> >> timeserv.exe
> >> RapportService.exe
> >> BlueSoleil.exe
> >> TaskSwitch.exe
> >> Monitor.exe
> >> LUNABAR.EXE
> >> WZQKPICK.EXE
> >> SAVER.EXE
> >> ZOOM.EXE
> >> PrvDisk.exe
> >> tclock.exe
> >> Diskmon.exe
> >> CLOCK.EXE
> >> UnlockerAssistant.exe
> >> TimsMGR.exe
> >> ServiceLayer.exe
> >> DATALAY.EXE
>
> >> NO WONDER you take so long to log on!
> >> As I stated, it isn't from XP serives and processes.
>
> >> These are AVG anti-virus processes:
> >> avgwdsvc.exe
> >> avgrsx.exe
> >> avgemc.exe
> >> avgcsrvx.exe
>
> >> The only XP processes there that I would eliminate are cisvc.exe
> >> and
> >> cidaemon.exe, and that is done by turning off Search Indexing.
>
> >> Windows XP may run slowly and you may see multiple symptoms in
> >> Windows Task Manager
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899869
>
> >> Then you can right-click the C: in My Computer, then click
> >> Properties, and uncheck "Allow indexing service to....."
>
> >> Cheers!
>
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

I found 4 different versions of Process Explorer previously downloaded
on this machine [Win98]; one is labeled specifically for the WinXP
none of them appeared to do anything, so...

Process Explorer 11.3 software download - Windows - VersionTracker
Feb 16, 2006 ... Find Process Explorer downloads, reviews, and updates
for ... Windows XP; Windows 2003; Windows 2000; Windows NT; Windows
98; Windows 95 ...
www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/32005 -

downled that version, ran it, again, nothing what's it supposed to
do?
I did find an entry in the ctrl-alt-del listing showing procexplorer,
or such, was running, but other than that, nothing going on.

What is it supposed to do?

From: Tim Meddick on
It is.

Please do.

Thanks.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: glee on
Sent.

....glen

From: glee on
"apistomaster(nospam)" <apistomaster(a)clearwire.net> wrote in message
On Jun 9, 3:39 pm, "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> PC Luddites.
>>
>> Pity you don't have a newsreader, so you must post via Google Groups,
>> and using Quoted Printable as well, so quoted replies are fubar'd.
>>
>> XP SP3 is still a supported OS under the MS Lifecycle. You think
>> because someone uses or supports an older OS that they don't also use
>> the newer ones? My Windows 7 system boots faster than XP, but not by
>> lot....and the XP system is a multiple-boot so there's a delay added
>> from going through the third-party boot manager.
>>
>> You think using ClearWire all-wireless makes you "progressive"? LOL!
>> It performs poorly in my area, with frequent down time as well.
>> Everyone I know who was using it has switched to cable internet for a
>> more reliable and high speed connection. "Antiques" has nothing to do
>> with it.
>> PC Elitists. ;-)
>
>Dear Glen,
>Over about 6 years I have posted less than 10 times so I never
>bothered to set up the newsreader. Where I live, there are only 3
>choices for ISP's.
>1. clearwire.net not to be confused with clear.com, the erratic, short
>range high speed wireless service which is not available here.
> I was not clear. I run all 3 PC's on a home wireless network using
>a dual channel("G" and "N") wireless router which keeps up with the
>input and doesn't
> drop the internet connection. I get clearwire's highest speed
>package at their lowest speed price and I have never had any problem
>with them.
> Service is much it cheaper by far than Qwest and Cableone.
>2. Qwest Only marginally faster speeds are available here but at a
>much higher price than my present deal with clearwire.
>3. Cableone By far the fastest available speeds in the area. But it is
>the cable company, I do not like the way they do business and they
>charge much more for
> the same speed I am getting from clearwire. Ever try to negotiate
>with a cable company? They can double my speed for almost 4 times the
>price. As long as
> .video streams I can afford to wait for clearwire to increase it's
>local speeds.
>
>In any case, I always enjoyed this newsgroup. It never fails to
>entertain and I have learned a lot about XP from subscribing to this
>group. I expected the curiously sarcastic style many use in their
>answers so I don't think I was far from the norm by basically saying
>better results are to be had by upgrading one's hard and software as
>things evolve. I imagine it must be cool to be writing an extra $60 a
>month to the cable company for truly fast internet speeds but what I
>have beats dial up about 10 times over. I will miss this group if for
>some reason it doesn't survive the changes because my ISP doesn't
>somehow stay connected to one of the alternative providers. At least
>I've never cross posted or top posted; things that seem to bring out

I hear you.
Can't disagree with you about dealing with cable companies either.....I
had high hopes for ClearWire when they came to my area, but they were
just not reliable here, so most of us ended up back on cable of Internet
access. I'm glad for you that your area has better service. I meant
ClearWire, not Clear...which I've never seen.

No need to explain or defend any sarcastic style....I was doing the same
thing, especially with the Elitists response to your Luddites. We're
all just having a little fun....at least till the flamers and biters
come back out.

Cheers!

From: Rasta Robert on
On 2010-06-11, Robert Macy <macy(a)california.com> wrote:
> On Jun 10, 11:59�am, Bob I <bire...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > What is it supposed to do?
>>
>> See herehttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
>
> nice pictures, but that version runs on WinXP and higher, doesn't run
> on Win98

A couple of alternatives:

<Prcview: http://www.teamcti.com/pview/prcview.htm>

Wintop, part of the Microsoft Kernel Toys for
win95 and win98; some download locations with information
about the program:

<http://www.dewassoc.com/support/useful/wintop.htm>
<http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/wintop_info.htm>
<http://misweb.cbi.msstate.edu/~rpearson/tips/wintop.html>