From: Tim Meddick on
"Robert Macy" - It's no shame to have cross-posted to the WinXP group, it
was YOUR cleverness to have successfully got your answers by posting to
those groups YOU chose.

"glee" - I myself have a "Made for WinXP" XP-compliant PC, with Pentium4
and 512Mb RAM

Although it takes no time to boot to the Welcome screen, it does take an
age to logon to my profile.

Whereas Win98 had only relatively few Microsoft-originated background
applications / processes, nowadays, XP had bundles of them (background
processes).

....and seemingly more and more with every "Windows Update" and added
"Hotfix"!!

But, once going, as long as I respect what [background] processes are
active and competing with the current user-focused application, we get
along just fine.

Even Microsoft admit that XP (and previous Win OSs) takes too long to boot,
as they addressed this very issue in the currently running advertisements
for Windows 7!

Windows will NEVER be as fast as some other computers and their operating
systems, but I will always prefer the "usability" of Windows, and the way I
can make it do the unorthodox in the way I want.

So, with home computers, it's a case of speed and "slickness" versus the
overall "versatility" of Windows (especially XP)!

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Jose on
On Jun 9, 6:55 pm, "Tim Meddick" <timmedd...(a)o2.co.uk> wrote:
> "Robert Macy" - It's no shame to have cross-posted to the WinXP group, it
> was YOUR cleverness to have successfully got your answers by posting to
> those groups YOU chose.
>
> "glee" - I myself have a "Made for WinXP"  XP-compliant PC, with Pentium4
> and 512Mb RAM
>
> Although it takes no time to boot to the Welcome screen, it does take an
> age to logon to my profile.
>
> Whereas Win98 had only relatively few Microsoft-originated background
> applications / processes, nowadays, XP had bundles of them (background
> processes).
>
> ...and seemingly more and more with every "Windows Update" and added
> "Hotfix"!!
>
> But, once going, as long as I respect what [background] processes are
> active and competing with the current user-focused application, we get
> along just fine.
>
> Even Microsoft admit that XP (and previous Win OSs) takes too long to boot,
> as they addressed this very issue in the currently running advertisements
> for Windows 7!
>
> Windows will NEVER be as fast as some other computers and their operating
> systems, but I will always prefer the "usability" of Windows, and the way I
> can make it do the unorthodox in the way I want.
>
> So, with home computers, it's a case of speed and "slickness" versus the
> overall "versatility" of Windows (especially XP)!
>
> ==
>
> Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)
>
> "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote in message

> > < clipped >

Windows 7 was my idea.
From: glee on
"Jose" <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> < clipped >
>
> Windows 7 was my idea.

ROTFL!
Man, I can't stand those commercials! :)

From: glee on
"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick(a)o2.co.uk> wrote in message
> snip
> "glee" - I myself have a "Made for WinXP" XP-compliant PC, with
> Pentium4 and 512Mb RAM
>
> Although it takes no time to boot to the Welcome screen, it does take
> an age to logon to my profile.
>
> Whereas Win98 had only relatively few Microsoft-originated background
> applications / processes, nowadays, XP had bundles of them (background
> processes).
>
> ...and seemingly more and more with every "Windows Update" and added
> "Hotfix"!!
> snip

If it takes an age to log onto your profile, it isn't because it's XP.
I work on a lot of XP systems regularly, including my own, with all
updates installed, no tweaking of services or anything out of the
ordinary, and the log-in is quick. I'm using a 1.58GHz Sempron 2300+
with 1GB RAM, but it originally had 512MB RAM with no appreciable
difference in log-in time. I think your long log-in time is coming
from elsewhere.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Tim Meddick on
You don't think it's because of background processes loaded and you think
"think your long log-in time is coming from elsewhere"....

At this moment, all I have open is a CMD Prompt, 1 Internet Explorer window
and OE.

Here's a reproduction of the current output of Tasklist.exe on my machine :

Image Name PID Session Name Session# Mem Usage
========================= ====== ================
System Idle Process 0 Console 0 16 K
System 4 Console 0 44 K
smss.exe 612 Console 0 44 K
csrss.exe 688 Console 0 1,580 K
winlogon.exe 712 Console 0 3,012 K
services.exe 756 Console 0 1,580 K
lsass.exe 768 Console 0 1,680 K
svchost.exe 932 Console 0 1,580 K
svchost.exe 1052 Console 0 1,684 K
MsMpEng.exe 1120 Console 0 20,952 K
RapportMgmtService.exe 1176 Console 0 10,388 K
svchost.exe 1220 Console 0 23,756 K
svchost.exe 1304 Console 0 4,616 K
spoolsv.exe 1576 Console 0 1,324 K
svchost.exe 1748 Console 0 628 K
avgwdsvc.exe 1792 Console 0 2,556 K
svchost.exe 108 Console 0 1,560 K
jqs.exe 212 Console 0 1,388 K
SMAgent.exe 456 Console 0 48 K
svchost.exe 488 Console 0 2,084 K
avgrsx.exe 396 Console 0 176 K
timeserv.exe 320 Console 0 44 K
avgemc.exe 684 Console 0 656 K
avgcsrvx.exe 2072 Console 0 52 K
alg.exe 2584 Console 0 780 K
explorer.exe 3308 Console 0 12,968 K
RapportService.exe 3348 Console 0 22,076 K
BlueSoleil.exe 164 Console 0 2,776 K
avgtray.exe 276 Console 0 4,200 K
hkcmd.exe 436 Console 0 224 K
TaskSwitch.exe 2484 Console 0 1,680 K
MSASCui.exe 3824 Console 0 3,164 K
Monitor.exe 2720 Console 0 472 K
jusched.exe 2520 Console 0 52 K
LUNABAR.EXE 3876 Console 0 1,152 K
WZQKPICK.EXE 3568 Console 0 260 K
SAVER.EXE 4048 Console 0 496 K
ZOOM.EXE 3964 Console 0 280 K
PrvDisk.exe 1492 Console 0 388 K
tclock.exe 1476 Console 0 976 K
Diskmon.exe 2008 Console 0 2,348 K
CTFMON.EXE 1128 Console 0 460 K
CLOCK.EXE 2644 Console 0 492 K
UnlockerAssistant.exe 3244 Console 0 232 K
TimsMGR.exe 3452 Console 0 1,864 K
cmd.exe 2380 Console 0 1,080 K
ntvdm.exe 3792 Console 0 56 K
explorer.exe 3572 Console 0 1,732 K
msimn.exe 2708 Console 0 14,864 K
avgnsx.exe 1652 Console 0 348 K
iexplore.exe 3684 Console 0 10,852 K
mscorsvw.exe 6064 Console 0 736 K
cisvc.exe 3440 Console 0 124 K
cidaemon.exe 4532 Console 0 200 K
wuauclt.exe 2928 Console 0 2,260 K
ServiceLayer.exe 5120 Console 0 2,920 K
DATALAY.EXE 3712 Console 0 3,168 K
wmiprvse.exe 4996 Console 0 5,932 K
tasklist.exe 3272 Console 0 4,904 K

P.C. Details :

Fujitsu Siemens Computers Model: Scenic T (i845GL)
CPU = x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~1.7 GHz
BIOS = Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 4.06 Rev.1.03.1421; 23/07/2002
Hardware Abstraction 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
Total Physical Memory Available = 512.00 MB

==