From: Robert Macy on
On Jun 8, 12:38 pm, "Tim Meddick" <timmedd...(a)o2.co.uk> wrote:
> If you are having problems with "simple" programs taking up to 1 minute to
> load in XP - then I would seriously investigate what programs are
> automatically loaded into memory at start-up.

....snip....

What gets me is that the applications is extremely small <1MB, doesn't
use much memory. And the load time is not consistent. Sometimes 5
seconds, sometimes a minute. have no idea what makes it variable.

> Also, to see exactly what is auto-loaded at boot time, try "AutoRuns" also
> from Microsoft.
>
> http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip
>
> ==
>
> Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)

thanks for the URL, will try this out.
From: Mike S on
On 6/8/2010 2:33 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
> On Jun 8, 12:38 pm, "Tim Meddick"<timmedd...(a)o2.co.uk> wrote:
>> If you are having problems with "simple" programs taking up to 1 minute to
>> load in XP - then I would seriously investigate what programs are
>> automatically loaded into memory at start-up.
>
> ...snip....
>
> What gets me is that the applications is extremely small<1MB, doesn't
> use much memory. And the load time is not consistent. Sometimes 5
> seconds, sometimes a minute. have no idea what makes it variable.
>

>> Also, to see exactly what is auto-loaded at boot time, try "AutoRuns" also
>> from Microsoft.
>>
>> http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)
>>

> thanks for the URL, will try this out.

I like Startup Control Panel by Mike Lin too

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

From: Tim Meddick on
My primary advice, if you take the time to re-read my post-before-last, was
to begin by simply starting Task Manager. Then, in the "Processes" tab,
re-arrange the running processes in order of "Mem Usage" (largest at top,
to smallest). To try to discover if there are any loaded applications
"hogging" resources (especially at times when loading "simple"
Notepad-style apps takes ages).

To this end I also advocated the possible using of some other tools :

"Process Explorer" :
http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

"AutoRuns" :
http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip

....However, the most important thing is to first investigate Task Manager's
process-list, at the time the PC is acting unusually "slow" to load
applications.

==

From: glee on
Thanks Tim.

From: glee on
>> snip
>4. superior in every way? then someone should have paid attention to
>what I can see, for example, the long delay between transitions. 1
>minute to start up a simple application, when Win98 starts it
>immediately, those kinds of things, what I see.
>
>It's just that I've given up precious 'time' for not much. But in
>deference, a friend of mine said he uses WinXP because of its ability
>to recover from a blown install. Too difficult with Win98
> snip

On what hardware are you trying to run XP? If you try to run any newer
OS on older hardware, you are going to see delays. What processor,
chipset, amount of RAM, and so forth, are you basing this 'evaluation'?
I've never seen anything you describe using XP on adequate hardware.

I have seen Win95/98 crawl on Win3x/DOS-capable hardware, and XP run
slow on hardware suitable for Win98 or 2K