From: Bob I on

Robert Macy wrote:
> [...]
>>mscorsvw if you install .NET Framework on Win98.
>>
>>Tim Meddick" <timmedd...(a)o2.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>Yes, some of those processes are of my own choosing...
>>
>>>Quick, aren't you!
>>
>>>However, the discussion was started with one of the topics being the
>>>differences between XP and the Win98 OSes.
>>
>>>My tasklist for Win98 went something like :
>>
>>>systray.exe
>>>explorer.exe
>>
>>>..and my tasklist for XP WITHOUT anything "custom" goes something like
>>>:
>>
>>>smss
>>>csrss
>>>winlogon
>>>services
>>>lsass
>>>svchost
>>>svchost
>>>MsMpEng
>>>svchost
>>>svchost
>>>spoolsv
>>>svchost
>>>avgwdsvc (I have to have some AV installed!)
>>>svchost
>>>jqs
>>>SMAgent
>>>svchost
>>>avgrsx (more of the AV)
>>>avgemc (and more AV)
>>>avgcsrvx (yet more AV)
>>>alg
>>>explorer
>>>avgtray (and more AV)
>>>hkcmd
>>>MSASCui
>>>Monitor
>>>jusched
>>>CTFMON
>>>Taskmgr
>>>cmd
>>>ntvdm
>>>explorer
>>>avgnsx (last bit of AV)
>>>iexplore
>>>mscorsvw
>>>cisvc
>>>cidaemon
>>>wuauclt
>>>ServiceLayer
>>>wuauclt
>>
>>>"glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote in message

>>--
>>Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
>>A+http://dts-l.net/
>

> I found 4 different versions of Process Explorer previously downloaded
> on this machine [Win98]; one is labeled specifically for the WinXP
> none of them appeared to do anything, so...
>
> Process Explorer 11.3 software download - Windows - VersionTracker
> Feb 16, 2006 ... Find Process Explorer downloads, reviews, and updates
> for ... Windows XP; Windows 2003; Windows 2000; Windows NT; Windows
> 98; Windows 95 ...
> www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/32005 -
>
> downled that version, ran it, again, nothing what's it supposed to
> do?
> I did find an entry in the ctrl-alt-del listing showing procexplorer,
> or such, was running, but other than that, nothing going on.

See here
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

From: apistomaster(nospam) on
On Jun 9, 3:39 pm, "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote:
> "apistomaster(nospam)" <apistomas...(a)clearwire.net> wrote in message

> On Jun 9, 12:40 pm, Robert Macy <m...(a)california.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 9, 8:55 am, "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > > "Robert Macy" <m...(a)california.com> wrote in message

> > > LOL! Did you look at where this post is being read, Robert? It's
> > > being
> > > crossposted to both the 98 general group AND the XP general group.
> > > Tim
> > > and others are replying from the XP group...they don't hang out in
> > > the
> > > 98 group. You're getting your help from the folks in XP general,
> > > despite what you might think.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> > > A+http://dts-l.net/
>
> > ARRRGGG!!! just noticed it too! ...with face turned red
>
> > Now, where's that sauce to make my words taste better?
>
> Still using a CRT Monitor, too, no doubt?
> All my Win 7 machines boot faster than my XP machine but I use an all
> wireless network so I probably shouldn't say much about antiques.
> PC Luddites.
>
> Pity you don't have a newsreader, so you must post via Google Groups,
> and using Quoted Printable as well, so quoted replies are fubar'd.
>
> XP SP3 is still a supported OS under the MS Lifecycle.  You think
> because someone uses or supports an older OS that they don't also use
> the newer ones?  My Windows 7 system boots faster than XP, but not by a
> lot....and the XP system is a multiple-boot so there's a delay added
> from going through the third-party boot manager.
>
> You think using ClearWire all-wireless makes you "progressive"?  LOL!
> It performs poorly in my area, with frequent down time as well.
> Everyone I know who was using it has switched to cable internet for a
> more reliable and high speed connection.  "Antiques" has nothing to do
> with it.
> PC Elitists.  ;-)
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> A+http://dts-l.net/

Dear Glen,
Over about 6 years I have posted less than 10 times so I never
bothered to set up the newsreader. Where I live, there are only 3
choices for ISP's.
1. clearwire.net not to be confused with clear.com, the erratic, short
range high speed wireless service which is not available here.
I was not clear. I run all 3 PC's on a home wireless network using
a dual channel("G" and "N") wireless router which keeps up with the
input and doesn't
drop the internet connection. I get clearwire's highest speed
package at their lowest speed price and I have never had any problem
with them.
Service is much it cheaper by far than Qwest and Cableone.
2. Qwest Only marginally faster speeds are available here but at a
much higher price than my present deal with clearwire.
3. Cableone By far the fastest available speeds in the area. But it is
the cable company, I do not like the way they do business and they
charge much more for
the same speed I am getting from clearwire. Ever try to negotiate
with a cable company? They can double my speed for almost 4 times the
price. As long as
.video streams I can afford to wait for clearwire to increase it's
local speeds.

In any case, I always enjoyed this newsgroup. It never fails to
entertain and I have learned a lot about XP from subscribing to this
group. I expected the curiously sarcastic style many use in their
answers so I don't think I was far from the norm by basically saying
better results are to be had by upgrading one's hard and software as
things evolve. I imagine it must be cool to be writing an extra $60 a
month to the cable company for truly fast internet speeds but what I
have beats dial up about 10 times over. I will miss this group if for
some reason it doesn't survive the changes because my ISP doesn't
somehow stay connected to one of the alternative providers. At least
I've never cross posted or top posted; things that seem to bring out
the little biters.
From: Tim Meddick on
You reckon I'll find a comparable number of running processes in Win98
installation, do you?

Well, I'll give that a try, I have a W98 installation running as in M$
Virtual PC.

But, as it's getting late, I will try that on the morrow.

BTW - I read the post by "Robert Macy" - will my copy of Process Explorer
run under Win98?

Or do I need another version - was a bit hazy about what he wrote, but
seemed to be having some problems...

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

"glee" <glee29(a)spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> Taskmgr
>> cmd
>> ntvdm
>> explorer
>> avgnsx (last bit of AV)
>> iexplore
>> mscorsvw
>> cisvc
>> cidaemon
>> wuauclt
>> ServiceLayer
>> wuauclt
>>

>> "glee" <glee29(a)spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> LOL! Tim! Are you seriously going to discuss how XP runs all these
>>> background processes, and that post a task list full of third-party
>>> processes as proof?! Please tell me you are joking!
>>>
>>> Every one of the processes I have copied below from your list are
>>> third-party processes you have added (some are NT Resource Kit or XP
>>> Power Toys processes), not XP processes:

>>> timeserv.exe
>>> RapportService.exe
>>> BlueSoleil.exe
>>> TaskSwitch.exe
>>> Monitor.exe
>>> LUNABAR.EXE
>>> WZQKPICK.EXE
>>> SAVER.EXE
>>> ZOOM.EXE
>>> PrvDisk.exe
>>> tclock.exe
>>> Diskmon.exe
>>> CLOCK.EXE
>>> UnlockerAssistant.exe
>>> TimsMGR.exe
>>> ServiceLayer.exe
>>> DATALAY.EXE
>>>
>>> NO WONDER you take so long to log on!
>>> As I stated, it isn't from XP serives and processes.
>>>
>>> These are AVG anti-virus processes:
>>> avgwdsvc.exe
>>> avgrsx.exe
>>> avgemc.exe

From: Robert Macy on
On Jun 10, 11:59 am, Bob I <bire...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Robert Macy wrote:
> > On Jun 9, 7:23 pm, "glee" <gle...(a)spamindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >>OK...we'll top post.
>
> >>1) You're still listing a few non-XP processes in your new list.
> >>2) Win98 would have shown more than what you listed if you ran an
> >>anti-virus and some other utilities shown in your XP list.
> >>3) The "task list' from Ctrl+Alt+Del in Win98 did NOT show anywhere near
> >>all processes that were actually running.
>
> >>If you still have a Win98 installation (I do), run Process Explorer and
> >>you will see the "real" task list, and it will show closer to the same
> >>number of processes as a basic XP system...it will likely even show your
> >>mscorsvw if you install .NET Framework on Win98.
>
> >>Tim Meddick" <timmedd...(a)o2.co.uk> wrote in message

> >>--
> >>Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> >>A+http://dts-l.net/
>
> > I found 4 different versions of Process Explorer previously downloaded
> > on this machine [Win98]; one is labeled specifically for the WinXP
> > none of them appeared to do anything, so...
>
> > Process Explorer 11.3 software download - Windows - VersionTracker
> > Feb 16, 2006 ... Find Process Explorer downloads, reviews, and updates
> > for ... Windows XP; Windows 2003; Windows 2000; Windows NT; Windows
> > 98; Windows 95 ...
> >www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/32005-
>
> > downled that version, ran it, again, nothing  what's it supposed to
> > do?
> > I did find an entry in the ctrl-alt-del listing showing procexplorer,
> > or such, was running, but other than that, nothing going on.
>
> > What is it supposed to do?
>
> See herehttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

nice pictures, but that version runs on WinXP and higher, doesn't run
on Win98
From: glee on
Tim,

If the email addy you are using here is legit, I can email you a .zip
file with an older version of Process Explorer that works with Win98.