From: David J. Littleboy on

"Floyd L. Davidson" <floyd(a)apaflo.com> wrote:
> John A. <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>That's what assistants are for.
>
> Intrepid Arctic explorers do not have assistants. They
> do have colleagues, who expect them to perform their
> assigned tasks without stripping the film's sprocket
> holes...
>
> That is especially true when the colleague is fighting
> off marauding polar bears and wants a picture so that
> his family will know how they spent their last moments.

Hmm. I see the formation of a joke: how do you tell the difference between a
tame panda and a man eating polar bear? The latter has P&S dcams in its
turds.

OK, that needs some work; the original* is way better.

*: http://www.mikesclark.com/climbing/bears.html

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

From: bugbear on
RichA wrote:
> Realistically, a
> manual film camera is basically foolproof, even if the meter battery
> dies.

No - unless they're spec'd for extreme cold, many fine,
delicate mechanical mechanisms (e.g. apertures, shutters)
can have "issues", including lubrication going solid.

BugBear
From: RichA on
On Mar 16, 5:00 am, bugbear <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> >  Realistically, a
> > manual film camera is basically foolproof, even if the meter battery
> > dies.
>
> No - unless they're spec'd for extreme cold, many fine,
> delicate mechanical mechanisms (e.g. apertures, shutters)
> can have "issues", including lubrication going solid.
>
>     BugBear

Since everything seems to be designed for a California climate, it's
no surprise.
From: whisky-dave on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
I've used entry-level Olympus DSLRs in -20 weather for hours on end.
My D300 I used one night at -25C. The only problems were that the
batteries got cold and the LCD got slow, but with a warm battery,
everything functioned perfectly. But then Arctic or Antarctic weather
is a bit worse...There are still resonances of the Canon-Antarctic-
Luminous Landscape debacle of the year or so ago. Realistically, a
manual film camera is basically foolproof, even if the meter battery
dies.

Well fool proof doesn;t actually mean much does it ?
I';d have thought they would have sent a foolproof camera to Mars
but they didn;t they sent a digital camera that could work down to
around -80F or less.

From: Dudley Hanks on
The arctic is a bit more extreme than what I shoot in during the winter, but
I have used my XSi in -25C weather without problem.

The XSi actually outperforms my old A2 in cold weather, which used to die
whenever the temp dipped below 0C. Couldn't seem to keep even a new battery
working in that camera below freezing.

Still, if I was doing scientific research, I'd probably want the reliability
of a mechanical cam in that extreme of an environment.

Take Care,
Dudley

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
I've used entry-level Olympus DSLRs in -20 weather for hours on end.
My D300 I used one night at -25C. The only problems were that the
batteries got cold and the LCD got slow, but with a warm battery,
everything functioned perfectly. But then Arctic or Antarctic weather
is a bit worse...There are still resonances of the Canon-Antarctic-
Luminous Landscape debacle of the year or so ago. Realistically, a
manual film camera is basically foolproof, even if the meter battery
dies.

Amateur Photographer

Monday 15th March 2010
Chris Cheesman

Leica MP

An arctic photographer has chosen a film-based Leica MP camera to
record his latest expedition because he says digital cameras are
unreliable in extreme conditions.

Explorer Martin Hartley, who has set off on a three-month trek to the
North Pole as part of the Catlin Arctic Survey, said: 'At the start of
every expedition on the Arctic Ocean in late February/March, it is
difficult to survive let alone operate a camera, due to the severe
conditions. Below minus 40�C electronic circuits slow down and become
unreliable.'

Martin added: 'The mechanical Leica MP will give me the best chance of
capturing those elusive photographs� maybe our last opportunity to do
so.'

The Leica MP was first produced in 2003.

The Catlin Arctic Survey aims to capture scientific data relating to
the way CO2 affects marine life in the Arctic.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Travel around USA
Next: Photos in PDF format