From: RichA on
I've used entry-level Olympus DSLRs in -20 weather for hours on end.
My D300 I used one night at -25C. The only problems were that the
batteries got cold and the LCD got slow, but with a warm battery,
everything functioned perfectly. But then Arctic or Antarctic weather
is a bit worse...There are still resonances of the Canon-Antarctic-
Luminous Landscape debacle of the year or so ago. Realistically, a
manual film camera is basically foolproof, even if the meter battery
dies.

Amateur Photographer

Monday 15th March 2010
Chris Cheesman

Leica MP

An arctic photographer has chosen a film-based Leica MP camera to
record his latest expedition because he says digital cameras are
unreliable in extreme conditions.

Explorer Martin Hartley, who has set off on a three-month trek to the
North Pole as part of the Catlin Arctic Survey, said: 'At the start of
every expedition on the Arctic Ocean in late February/March, it is
difficult to survive let alone operate a camera, due to the severe
conditions. Below minus 40ºC electronic circuits slow down and become
unreliable.'

Martin added: 'The mechanical Leica MP will give me the best chance of
capturing those elusive photographs… maybe our last opportunity to do
so.'

The Leica MP was first produced in 2003.

The Catlin Arctic Survey aims to capture scientific data relating to
the way CO2 affects marine life in the Arctic.
From: Scott W on
On Mar 15, 1:22 pm, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've used entry-level Olympus DSLRs in -20 weather for hours on end.
> My D300 I used one night at -25C.  The only problems were that the
> batteries got cold and the LCD got slow, but with a warm battery,
> everything functioned perfectly. But then Arctic or Antarctic weather
> is a bit worse...There are still resonances of the Canon-Antarctic-
> Luminous Landscape debacle of the year or so ago.  Realistically, a
> manual film camera is basically foolproof, even if the meter battery
> dies.
>
> Amateur Photographer
>
> Monday 15th March 2010
> Chris Cheesman
>
> Leica MP
>
> An arctic photographer has chosen a film-based Leica MP camera to
> record his latest expedition because he says digital cameras are
> unreliable in extreme conditions.
>
> Explorer Martin Hartley, who has set off on a three-month trek to the
> North Pole as part of the Catlin Arctic Survey, said: 'At the start of
> every expedition on the Arctic Ocean in late February/March, it is
> difficult to survive let alone operate a camera, due to the severe
> conditions. Below minus 40ºC electronic circuits slow down and become
> unreliable.'
>
> Martin added: 'The mechanical Leica MP will give me the best chance of
> capturing those elusive photographs… maybe our last opportunity to do
> so.'
>
> The Leica MP was first produced in 2003.
>
> The Catlin Arctic Survey aims to capture scientific data relating to
> the way CO2 affects marine life in the Arctic.

I try not to go anywhere where it might get colder then 60F.

Scott
From: Rich on
On Mar 15, 9:53 pm, Peter Huebner <no....(a)this.address> wrote:
> In article <9301c5da-543c-43b7-b9a9-9cd19e0c27e4
> @d2g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, rander3...(a)gmail.com says...
>
> >  Below minus 40ºC electronic circuits slow down and become
> > unreliable.'
>
> LOL. Go tell that to the superconductor people and the extreme
> overclockers who cool their 'puters with liquid nitrogen.

Well, they don't run off batteries and they don't put batteries into
liquid nitrogen.
But, sensors do exhibit lower noise at colder temps.
From: Floyd L. Davidson on
The current temperature outside my door at this moment
is -32F. It was -40 for much of last night. I can't
say that is exciting, and I did spend several hours
outside today.

Your intrepid Arctic explorer is about to learn a few
things about living in cold weather if he actually does
make a "manual film camera" his only camera. After he
changes the film at -40, he can tell us all about how
"basically foolproof" it is!

RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>I've used entry-level Olympus DSLRs in -20 weather for hours on end.
>My D300 I used one night at -25C. The only problems were that the
>batteries got cold and the LCD got slow, but with a warm battery,
>everything functioned perfectly. But then Arctic or Antarctic weather
>is a bit worse...There are still resonances of the Canon-Antarctic-
>Luminous Landscape debacle of the year or so ago. Realistically, a
>manual film camera is basically foolproof, even if the meter battery
>dies.
>
>Amateur Photographer
>
>Monday 15th March 2010
>Chris Cheesman
>
>Leica MP
>
>An arctic photographer has chosen a film-based Leica MP camera to
>record his latest expedition because he says digital cameras are
>unreliable in extreme conditions.
>
>Explorer Martin Hartley, who has set off on a three-month trek to the
>North Pole as part of the Catlin Arctic Survey, said: 'At the start of
>every expedition on the Arctic Ocean in late February/March, it is
>difficult to survive let alone operate a camera, due to the severe
>conditions. Below minus 40�C electronic circuits slow down and become
>unreliable.'
>
>Martin added: 'The mechanical Leica MP will give me the best chance of
>capturing those elusive photographs... maybe our last opportunity to do
>so.'
>
>The Leica MP was first produced in 2003.
>
>The Catlin Arctic Survey aims to capture scientific data relating to
>the way CO2 affects marine life in the Arctic.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: Floyd L. Davidson on
John A. <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:48:50 -0800, floyd(a)apaflo.com (Floyd L.
>Davidson) wrote:
>
>>The current temperature outside my door at this moment
>>is -32F. It was -40 for much of last night. I can't
>>say that is exciting, and I did spend several hours
>>outside today.
>>
>>Your intrepid Arctic explorer is about to learn a few
>>things about living in cold weather if he actually does
>>make a "manual film camera" his only camera. After he
>>changes the film at -40, he can tell us all about how
>>"basically foolproof" it is!
>
>That's what assistants are for.

Intrepid Arctic explorers do not have assistants. They
do have colleagues, who expect them to perform their
assigned tasks without stripping the film's sprocket
holes...

That is especially true when the colleague is fighting
off marauding polar bears and wants a picture so that
his family will know how they spent their last moments.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Travel around USA
Next: Photos in PDF format