From: Folkert Rienstra on
ROTFLOL!

From: Rod Speed on
fjh <farshidjh(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> with thanks for your reply ,
> i did tried DiskPatch and GetDataBack they also didn't detected the Drive.

> Still couldn't try the PowerMax -which i hope the most-
> because it needs to write at floppy drive at B and this
> damn thing i've have as a floppy Drive only detects at B: :(

Can't understand that bit, try rephrasing it.

> i was being asked for atleast $300 for the recovery fee (recovery
> in my terriority is cheaper) but this is also too much for me.

OK.

> putting my ear really near the HDD when powering it up, i could hear
> a sound which is very like the head seeking sound (these are really a
> damn quiet HDD's) so if the head is seeking and disk are rotaiting and
> board is OK there should be a way of lowlevel talking with the HDD
> making it able to write at the LBA track 0 'HDD idenetification info'

Not necessarily. It may still be there, but just not readable
anymore, because of a failure in the electronics.

> (which should be the way producer company
> -Maxtor- programs that track on a fresh unit)?

That isnt necessarily done with the electronics you have on the drive tho.

> don't tell me it is impossible to write at this track with its current board
> :(

> i'm into Electronic's so designing a interface for IDE/ATA using
> a MCU -preferably 8051- wouldn't take me so much time.

Wont help if say the head preamp inside the sealed chamber has died.

> then i use this thing to write on the specified
> track then using a Data Recovery Software

That assumes that the data on that track has just gone away and that
you can replace it. That isnt the only possibility, and in fact isnt very
likely.

> i'll deal with the probably deleted FAT data and so on...
> any sort of info/professional HDD electronic message
> board/good websites on the web would help .

I havent noticed any that would be any help in
that area, but then I havent looked for them either.

> Unfortunately searching on HDD's in Google
> mainly lead into data recovery companys.

Yep.

From: fjh on
> Can't understand that bit, try rephrasing it.

'PowerMax ' is one of the maxtor's utility which does some test on
their HDD's ,after downloading from their website it runs on a windows
platform to make a bootable Disk which will contain the diagnostic
program.so my FDD -which is not alright- is not configured to Drive
name A: and this utility persis on writing the Floppy drives only at A:
..

> That isnt necessarily done with the electronics you have on the drive tho.

if so ,their dealers should be able to do 'reprogramming' it for me ?
:D

> That assumes that the data on that track has just gone away and that
> you can replace it. That isnt the only possibility, and in fact isnt very
> likely.

I am wishing not to be in such situation.

thanks or your reply.

From: Rod Speed on
fjh <farshidjh(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> putting my ear really near the HDD when powering it up, i could hear
>>> a sound which is very like the head seeking sound (these are really a
>>> damn quiet HDD's) so if the head is seeking and disk are rotaiting and
>>> board is OK there should be a way of lowlevel talking with the HDD
>>> making it able to write at the LBA track 0 'HDD idenetification info'

>> Not necessarily. It may still be there, but just not readable
>> anymore, because of a failure in the electronics.

>>> (which should be the way producer company
>>> -Maxtor- programs that track on a fresh unit)?

>> That isnt necessarily done with the electronics you have on the drive tho.

> if so ,their dealers should be able to do 'reprogramming' it for me ?

Nope, they dont do anything like that. Even with Maxtor warranty
claims, the drive has to go back to a Maxtor factory in Singapore etc.

And I bet they dont bother to do that themselves in the factory
either, the data on that track wont just go away for no good reason.

>>> i'm into Electronic's so designing a interface for IDE/ATA using
>>> a MCU -preferably 8051- wouldn't take me so much time.

>> Wont help if say the head preamp inside the sealed chamber has died.

>>> then i use this thing to write on the specified
>>> track then using a Data Recovery Software

>> That assumes that the data on that track has just gone away and that
>> you can replace it. That isnt the only possibility, and in fact isnt very
>> likely.

> I am wishing not to be in such situation.

Welp, you are anyway.

From: fjh on
Good news is 'PowerMax' -The Maxtor utility Software- recognises the
drive and drive passes 3 tests, it stops at reading the Partiotion data
info . :D :D i am so happy . but it states to contact the Maxtor for
repair :( .
i'll look carefully what testes is being passed and will report.

> > I am wishing not to be in such situation.
>Welp, you are anyway.

By situation i mean having a Defected Track0 , there is no more than 14
months from using this drive it shouldn't fail this soon.so i am
guesing something overwrited my Important Track info.it seems to me
more like a New virus?? Damn you Virus writers ,don't they just have
some usefull thing to do instead in the whole world?(by this i mean
Crakers not Hackers)