From: fjh on
3 days before my system unexpectedly restated and HDD refused to pass
the POST test (Bios detects the HDD name but not the exact name which
was detected before the crash).it just says ***** Hard Disk Fail !
(press F1 to contiune).
i tried everything , changnig the HDD master/slave,primary/secondary.
i even found another same HDD and chanded my HDD's PCB with the other
good one ,with no luck.
showing the HDD to the repair shops around they told me that maxtor
HDD's (my HDD is a Maxtor Diamond Plus 8 40GB) stores even it's size
and serail number on the first track of tghe hdd. (some quality hdd's
use flash roms) and my problem is that track is got broken. hdd is not
recognised by windows nor Fdisk nor PowerQuest's Partiotion Magic. i
didn't tried PowerMax or Diskpatch cause they need a floppy drive which
currently i didn't have .
if repair shop's guesses was correct is there any hope of fixing the
HDD by DIY ways ?

looking forward to your help.
thanks you in advance

From: Rod Speed on
fjh <farshidjh(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> 3 days before my system unexpectedly restated and HDD refused to pass
> the POST test (Bios detects the HDD name but not the exact name which
> was detected before the crash).it just says ***** Hard Disk Fail !
> (press F1 to contiune).
> i tried everything , changnig the HDD master/slave,primary/secondary.
> i even found another same HDD and chanded my HDD's PCB with the other
> good one ,with no luck.
> showing the HDD to the repair shops around they told me that maxtor
> HDD's (my HDD is a Maxtor Diamond Plus 8 40GB) stores even it's size
> and serail number on the first track of tghe hdd. (some quality hdd's
> use flash roms) and my problem is that track is got broken. hdd is not
> recognised by windows nor Fdisk nor PowerQuest's Partiotion Magic. i
> didn't tried PowerMax or Diskpatch cause they need a floppy drive
> which currently i didn't have .

> if repair shop's guesses was correct

Its not a guess, its a fact.

> is there any hope of fixing the HDD by DIY ways ?

Nope.

She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

From: fjh on
with thanks for your reply ,
i did tried DiskPatch and GetDataBack they also didn't detected the
Drive.
Still couldn't try the PowerMax -which i hope the most- because it
needs to write at floppy drive at B and this damn thing i've have as a
floppy Drive only detects at B: :(
i was being asked for atleast $300 for the recovery fee (recovery in my
terriority is cheaper) but this is also too much for me.
putting my ear really near the HDD when powering it up, i could hear a
sound which is very like the head seeking sound (these are really a
damn quiet HDD's) so if the head is seeking and disk are rotaiting and
board is OK there should be a way of lowlevel talking with the HDD
making it able to write at the LBA track 0 'HDD idenetification info'
(which should be the way producer company -Maxtor- programs that track
on a fresh unit)?
don't tell me it is impossible to write at this track with its current
board :(
i'm into Electronic's so designing a interface for IDE/ATA using a MCU
-preferably 8051- wouldn't take me so much time. then i use this thing
to write on the specified track then using a Data Recovery Software
i'll deal with the probably deleted FAT data and so on...
any sort of info/professional HDD electronic message board/good
websites on the web would help .
Unfortunately searching on HDD's in Google mainly lead into data
recovery companys.

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously fjh <farshidjh(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> 3 days before my system unexpectedly restated and HDD refused to pass
> the POST test (Bios detects the HDD name but not the exact name which
> was detected before the crash).it just says ***** Hard Disk Fail !
> (press F1 to contiune).
> i tried everything , changnig the HDD master/slave,primary/secondary.
> i even found another same HDD and chanded my HDD's PCB with the other
> good one ,with no luck.
> showing the HDD to the repair shops around they told me that maxtor
> HDD's (my HDD is a Maxtor Diamond Plus 8 40GB) stores even it's size
> and serail number on the first track of tghe hdd. (some quality hdd's
> use flash roms) and my problem is that track is got broken. hdd is not
> recognised by windows nor Fdisk nor PowerQuest's Partiotion Magic. i
> didn't tried PowerMax or Diskpatch cause they need a floppy drive which
> currently i didn't have .
> if repair shop's guesses was correct is there any hope of fixing the
> HDD by DIY ways ?

No.

Arno

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously fjh <farshidjh(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> with thanks for your reply ,
> i did tried DiskPatch and GetDataBack they also didn't detected the
> Drive.
> Still couldn't try the PowerMax -which i hope the most- because it
> needs to write at floppy drive at B and this damn thing i've have as a
> floppy Drive only detects at B: :(
> i was being asked for atleast $300 for the recovery fee (recovery in my
> terriority is cheaper) but this is also too much for me.
> putting my ear really near the HDD when powering it up, i could hear a
> sound which is very like the head seeking sound (these are really a
> damn quiet HDD's) so if the head is seeking and disk are rotaiting and
> board is OK there should be a way of lowlevel talking with the HDD
> making it able to write at the LBA track 0 'HDD idenetification info'
> (which should be the way producer company -Maxtor- programs that track
> on a fresh unit)?
> don't tell me it is impossible to write at this track with its current
> board :(
> i'm into Electronic's so designing a interface for IDE/ATA using a MCU
> -preferably 8051- wouldn't take me so much time. then i use this thing
> to write on the specified track then using a Data Recovery Software
> i'll deal with the probably deleted FAT data and so on...
> any sort of info/professional HDD electronic message board/good
> websites on the web would help .
> Unfortunately searching on HDD's in Google mainly lead into data
> recovery companys.

What makes you think that rewriting track0 will fix the problem?
It went bad for a resson. If it is surface problems, mechanical
or head problems, a rewrite will not make the problem go away.
Also you do not know what to actually write to that track,
like e.g. the known defect list.

Don't waste your time.

Arno