From: Jeff Strickland on
I think yo are barking up the wrong tree, Bobb.

You hsould be looking to a computer-based solution that gives you greater
flexibility and control. Some of the stuff (one might argue most of it) that
runs for several minutes tell a story that can be told in 45 seconds. The
computer-based solution allows you to add interesting affects such as sound,
page transitions, and you can build menu items to display on the main
screen.

The VHS to DVD players simply drag the VHS presentation to DVD and don't let
you add sound or narration. I suppose you can clip the portions you want,
but this is not very interesting for your viewers.

From: - Bobb - on
Hi Jeff,

My intent was not to make it fancy, but merely migrate 20 -25 yr old VHS
tapes to DVD and IF I could edit it even better.
Nieces, nephews have no VCR - need on DVD.
I found that using PC for video took MANY hours to get it off tape, then
into a file format, then into DVD format, lots of disk space .... going
from 4 hr tape to 4 hr DVR I can do while I got out for the morning or even
while sleeping - literally - just press VCR->DVD, and go to bed.
Or if old VHS-c tapes , load them during the day and then cut/edit unwanted
material, click Make DVD button before dinner. Dinner over - so is DVD. PC
took HOURS to do that.

BTW, just back from store- got a refund. I wanted to look at others but no
other DVR/VCR combos. Without Circuit City, Tweeter, etc , electronics
buying in Boston area is either Best Buy ( they have 2 - I tried both) and
Ultimate Electronics ( new store - only had the Panasonic as DVR/VCR).
I guess I'll have to read more reviews/ buy online - but would prefer
retail ( so easy to return if a problem, as has happened twice in this
case).

From: Peter Able on

> It's been months so, re- asking:
>
> Trying to co-ordinate my media. I have hundreds of VHS tapes (TV shows,
old
> ball games, home movies etc), PC videos in AVI, WMV, MOV format I'd like
> get onto DVD / be 'indexable'. Also have lots of PC files I'd like in DVD
> format for viewing on TV as well as in wmv or mpg format
>
> Any users out there familiar with apps/ appliance that would make this
easy.
> You have it / use it and like it ?
> I have bought a few combo VHS > DVR's and not happy with any.
>
> The LG - was OK but remote works with only 5 models of TV. Not my model.
>
> The Panasonic has the VCR > DVD and DVD> VHS button but too 'fussy' being
> searchable ( if I record a 5 hr tape that HAD no index mark on the tape,
> then I cannot make an index mark on the DVD) - have to FF thru 4 hrs of
DVD
> to get to spot - oops too far - resets back to start. World Series tape
had
> lots of index marks ( commercials skipped) and DVD can only hold 99 of
> them - and cannot combine them . ( 1 index every 15 minutes would be nice
is
> automatic)
> And lousy remote - lots of useless buttons but none to do common tasks.
>
> I tried a WDTV - worked fine but no MOV.
>
> I have made a dozen or so with the latest ( Panasonic VHS/DVR) but it's
> tedious. AND since it cannot cut/splice , can't pop in a VHS - press COPY
> to DVD. and then return later, cutting out what I don't want - as many
model
> allowed. With this one I have to start COPY, then press STOP, then record
> next video ...
>
> How much fits on a DVD isn't an issue for me - priority is ease of use.
> Ideally device can CUT , CUT , delete that piece of video. Then record
some
> more until max time is reached . then burn DVD.
>
> Also would like analog/digital tuner.
>
> Thanks folks.

I've done a fair bit of this, Bobb. You're asking two different things (I
think!): How to capture analog audio/video to a PC and how to process PC
audio/video files so that they can be written to a commercial-style DVD with
menus and chapter-marks. Actually, the first leads into the second, and
maybe inbetween, you want to know how to edit the material, too - things
like getting the sound in sync with the video and chopping out breaks in a
captured TV programme.

The first thing to buy is a good analog-capture video card. I've tried a few
and think that, comparing video-capture quality and supplied software,
Leadtek products are head and shoulders above other cards in the sub-$100
range. By the way, the following notes assume that you want, and are ready
to spend the cash and time to obtain, good quality. Any fool can make a
slapdash transfer which only he/she can bear to watch.

Having obtained and installed then configured a capture card and its
software, you connect your player to the card, video lead to capture card,
audio leads either to the capture card or to the PC's Audio Line In. The
common video/audio cables are Phono-to-phono, so you may need to buy
adapters. It'll depend upon your player. You then play with the setup,
getting used to starting the player then the capture card's record
function - and vice versa, making sure that you capture BOTH sound and
video, etc. etc..

When you're happy that you're competent, the next thing to choose is the
recorder software codec. Codecs trade off picture and sound quality against
space taken up on your hard disk - and your PC's processing ability. Raw
capture codecs require very little of the PC's processor and provide the
best audio/video quality - but require about 75 Gigabytes Hard Disk space
per hour of recording - and that means a pretty high-performance HD. At the
other end of the scale real-time mpeg2 codecs produce files which are ready
to be authored (I'll explain that later) to a DVD, can be adjusted to
provide a range of qualities ranging from just adequate to pretty close to
raw - and will only require about 1 to 5 Gigabytes HD space per hour. They
do require more processing power, though. I just scrape by in high-quality
mpeg2 mode with a 2.0 GHz processor.

The above notes outline the first steps, so, before writing more, does this
seem to fit with what you want/are prepared to do? I've interpreted your
original in a different way from your other correspondent, and if it is me
that is wrong, particularly about investing the time, cash and care to get
it right (or that you're ready to spend thousands rather than tens of
dollars!) - I don't want to waste your time, or mine, barking up the wrong
tree ;-}

PA

From: - Bobb - on
Actually to clarify the things I'm trying to achieve:

# 1. get VHS tape to DVD via a VCR/DVR combo device in the living room (VHS
tapes are getting pretty old so want to save it.)
# 2. Get media off my PC to play on DVD in the living room.

** NOT trying to go from VHS to PC ** I think it would use WAY too much
disk space. I have a LOT of VHS.

Target for playing is DVD media - in living room.

Objective - get all my stuff / family stuff onto DVD so can burn DVD's and
just hand them to all family / watch on any DVD player. Making chapter
slides of stuff currently on PC would make sense but right now no need for
background music, fancy transitions etc . I can just write an inventory /
time stamp on the DVD label. So if ' Mike's soccer match ' is 45 minutes in
, I COULD just note that as it's recording and write that on the label.

A lot of this is old VHS stuff ... 20-30 years ago , the kids on the local
news, sporting events , Pro sports - Super Bowls, NBA Finals, Playoffs,
All-Star games, World Series etc . I have a LOT of VHS and often while
recording I'd have some concert on ... tape #5 , other concerts on tape
#47, sometimes a lot of related video on same tape BUT unrelated stuff in
the middle. So, for some DVD's I could press VHS-DVD and it would be fine
as-is : 4 hrs of related programs ( maybe World Series Games 1 and 2). For
others I'd need to pop in a VHS tape - record to DVR, eject VHS , pop in
another etc until I got all concerts I could onto that one DVD. Others I'd
record the whole tape , then delete the unrelated files.
If I can get it all onto DVD, then no need to duplicate all VHS - no need
at all family to have VCR for viewing VHS sourced stuff. ( younger ones have
never owned a VCR)

As for PC stuff,

#3. I have a LOT of travel related media - camera output ... cruises, road
trips, trips with friends, family, fishing, etc and trying to get app to
take all of that and get to DVD easiest way. I would have to do a lot of
homework to organize .... do I want by year, by category - Europe, USA ,
Cruises, Fishing etc ? Then pictures AND video of each or just a slideshow ,
then the video ...

#4. I might also want to hook up PC to TV and if I could , then just watch
directly, jpg slideshows, travel movies, home movies ... AVI, MOV, MPG, WMV
.. I found WDTV worked ok except for Apple QuickTime files. I have a lot
of them ( a few cameras I've owned recorded in MOV and of course not a
problem in the past - but to watch on TV/DVD is something else.
IF WDTV DID play MOV files then that would work for me. I checked into
Apply box, spoke to Apple rep ... he said "Our Apple TV box will do it ..
but you need to convert all MOV files to H264 format". I looked at him and
said, If I wanted to do THAT, I could convert to another format and use the
WDTV box - I don;t need your box at all. Why doesn't APPLE TV box support
APPLE QuickTime ? I got a quizzical look. I thought it would be OBVIOUS to
anyone at Apple that the DIFFERENCE between them and others is APPLE
formatted media and why they would make a box that DOESN'T support it was
beyond me.

I tried a few "movie maker" apps/programs and found that they took f o r e
v e r to compile the material, (AVI, MPG, WMV) then burn onto a DVD ( like
the good part of a day on a 2 ghz PC). Task mgr shows CPU pegged and nothing
else going on.

So - to put it in " Nero Burning Rom " app equivalent, I'd like to grab
Pictures folder and drag to new DVD - burn - done.

Then grab files in My Videos folder and drag to new DVD until shows full -
burn - done.

But for me, the conversion from "whatever format" to DVD VIDEO_TS formatting
takes way too long.

Bobb

From: Jeff Strickland on
You can stuff the VHS tapes into the VHS/DVD recorder and walk away. At the
end of the day, you get your VHS tape on a DVD. Period. No edits, no
narration, No new audio tracks. What you have is what you get. End of story.
Not very exzciting or interesting.

For the same time invested, you can put the tapes onto the PC, then (this is
where the extra time demands build) do your edits, add narration and
background music, and create an interesting DVD to play on your TV. Once the
DVD has been created, you can delete the source files because they don't
hold much interest anymore anyhow. And, you've still got the source files on
VHS, if you care.

You are stuck on the VHS/DVD player machine. What you really want is a
computer based solution that lets you put your soundtracks and narrations
into old, boring family movies. The machine will copy the tapes to DVD, but
it will not facilitate making the tapes interesting.