From: - Bobb - on

It's been months so, re- asking:

Trying to co-ordinate my media. I have hundreds of VHS tapes (TV shows, old
ball games, home movies etc), PC videos in AVI, WMV, MOV format I'd like to
get onto DVD / be 'indexable'. Also have lots of PC files I'd like in DVD
format for viewing on TV as well as in wmv or mpg format

Any users out there familiar with apps/ appliance that would make this easy.
You have it / use it and like it ?
I have bought a few combo VHS > DVR's and not happy with any.

The LG - was OK but remote works with only 5 models of TV. Not my model.

The Panasonic has the VCR > DVD and DVD> VHS button but too 'fussy' being
searchable ( if I record a 5 hr tape that HAD no index mark on the tape,
then I cannot make an index mark on the DVD) - have to FF thru 4 hrs of DVD
to get to spot - oops too far - resets back to start. World Series tape had
lots of index marks ( commercials skipped) and DVD can only hold 99 of
them - and cannot combine them . ( 1 index every 15 minutes would be nice is
automatic)
And lousy remote - lots of useless buttons but none to do common tasks.

I tried a WDTV - worked fine but no MOV.

I have made a dozen or so with the latest ( Panasonic VHS/DVR) but it's
tedious. AND since it cannot cut/splice , can't pop in a VHS - press COPY
to DVD. and then return later, cutting out what I don't want - as many model
allowed. With this one I have to start COPY, then press STOP, then record
next video ...

How much fits on a DVD isn't an issue for me - priority is ease of use.
Ideally device can CUT , CUT , delete that piece of video. Then record some
more until max time is reached . then burn DVD.

Also would like analog/digital tuner.

Thanks folks.

From: Jeff Strickland on
I can speak to how easy it is -- it isn't difficult, but it's tedious. There
are lots of programs and hardware that do what you want.

You can use, among others, Pinnacle Systems products to allow you to connect
your VHS camera or player to a device that turns the audio & video intputs
(red, wht, yel) to USB to facilitate putting the content onto your HDD. You
then select the parts you want to put onto a DVD, and you can intersperse
still photos and other kinds of video files with your VHS movies. You can
add new tracks for narration and background music. You also can create a
menu on the front end that lets you jump around on the DVD that you are
building. Basically, the applications that do this come in a variety of
price points, the higher you go on the cost ladder the more features you
get.

At the end of the day, you can take your VHS tapes of family vacations and
your honeymoon night with your new bride (hehehe) and make them into DVDs.
You can add your still photos that you have on CD, or that you scan to
files, and put in your choice of music and add new narations that might be
missing because it didn't occur to the person operating the camera to
announce, "... here she is coming out of the bathroom on that first night.
Get a load of her huge eyes ... " You can explain the Great Ceiling Fan
Fiasco in a whole new way for your audience that will get copies of the DVD.
It will be a very long day, make no mistake, because you have to view your
footage mostly in real time. You can fast forward through some parts, but it
is a long and tedious project that comes from the sheer time frame and has
nothing to do with the program.

From: - Bobb - on
Thanks Jeff
" It will be a very long day, make no mistake, because you have to view your
footage mostly in real time."

THAT's the part I can avoid on SOME devices ( Copy the whole tape - go out
for the day. Next day open DVD device recording: cut here , cut later, then
delete the created middle, then SAVE) but those devices had other issues.

If I have to watch it using Pinnacle , then I can do the same by watching
the VHS copy to DVD and press STOP when I want to CUT. That DOES work for me
but tedious ( I have a LOT of tapes - boxes -maybe 100 - 2 hr , 4 hr , some
6 hr tapes)

I'd really LIKE to do the VHS editing on a device that I can edit, rather
than needing so much disk space, memory to get it as a file.

From: Jeff Strickland on

> Thanks Jeff
> " It will be a very long day, make no mistake, because you have to view
> your footage mostly in real time."
>
> THAT's the part I can avoid on SOME devices ( Copy the whole tape - go out
> for the day. Next day open DVD device recording: cut here , cut later,
> then delete the created middle, then SAVE) but those devices had other
> issues.

It's the "cut here, cut there" part of the process that's tedious and for
the most part unavoidable. If you just wanted to copy a couple of VHS tapes
and paste them onto a DVD, that's easy. The copy process is slow because
with the stuff I have, it can't be done on fast forward it has to be done in
real time. But you can pot the player on Play and leave it for a while then
come back and Play the next tape. When you get the tapes into the computer,
you just drop them onto the TimeLine and this will create the Menu, and you
name the menu items and click Record.

The real work comes when you want to have clips of different things, and you
have to physically watch the video to decide where to start and stop the
clip, then drop the clip onto the time line, add in a few still photos that
you have to search through your collection to find, drop in background music
and add some narration. This all takes time that can't be short circuited.
It can be eliminated by not taking these steps, but that just means you drop
the tape into the player and copy it, then paste it onto a DVD. If your
tapes are already good enough to do that, then you have it easy.

> If I have to watch it using Pinnacle , then I can do the same by watching
> the VHS copy to DVD and press STOP when I want to CUT. That DOES work for
> me but tedious ( I have a LOT of tapes - boxes -maybe 100 - 2 hr , 4 hr ,
> some 6 hr tapes)
>
> I'd really LIKE to do the VHS editing on a device that I can edit, rather
> than needing so much disk space, memory to get it as a file.

I don't know how you can edit, add narations and background music without
using a computer. If you have anything near a current technology HDD and PC
(or Mac), then you won't have any issues using Pinnacle, or the others. I'm
not here to sell Pinnacle, and clearly there are other programs and hardware
packages that do the same job and maybe do it better. I just have a Pinnacle
package so my knowledge-base is there. Once you put your final project on
DVD, you can get rid of the file(s) and recover the space.

From: - Bobb - on
Packed it up and returning the Panasonic Dvr in AM
I previously had used an LG but the remote only worked with a few brands.
THIS one turns my TV on/off but the rest of the product is the clumsy to
use
Usually Panasonic has pretty good interfacing. This one is awful. Also Tuner
is poor . I'll be watching ch 205 and change to 204 and although the front
panel changes the TV show doesn't. Tonight 204, 205 and 207 all had same NBC
show ! Then it hung .
And to do other than record the entire show from VCR to DVD, ( MOST
options, create chapters/edit video,etc) you need DVD-RAM ! anyone even know
where to BUY one now ? Not at Wal-Mart,Staples,bestbuy,radio shack, Target,
or any of the other 10 stores I tried. and this box WAS made in April so not
on shelf for 3 years. Just as well they didn't have any .
Going in the AM to get my money back before 14 day window expires
Although their remote didn't work with my TV, the LG was MUCH easier to
use/edit etc.
New store - Ultimate Electronics - just opened near me I'll check what they
have.
thanks