From: William on

"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> wrote in message

> Re: "It is not legal to make or sell HDCP capable DVI to analog (VGA -
> Component) converters**"
>
> I don't think that's absolutely true. It depends on the format and
> resolution of the output of the conversion. If the output is "SD"
> (standard definition) then it is legal. If it's "HD" it's not legal. I'm
> not sure where or if these terms are defined precisely. But analog VGA
> 640x480 is definitely not considered HD.

HDMI doesn't even have analogue video in it to use. HDCP = High-Bandwidth
Digital Content Protection, read the words High-Bandwidth again please.
You will not find VGA inside of a HDMI signal. You are thinking of a cable
box, or DVD that has HDMI and component output for selection.

Are you aware that the content providers are asking the FCC permission to
turn off the low-definition outputs on cable boxes and dvd's as they desire.
If that happens - say goodbye to VGA and component outputs on the hi-dif
players and boxes whenever the content providers want to turn the ports off.

There are some very expensive active break-out boxes available if you know
where to go. But that is another story.

Thank you Barry for caring. William

From: Barry Watzman on
We were talking about CONVERTING the digital signal into {something};
both analog and digital can be either HD or SD.

[e.g. component video can be analog HD, while DVI at 800x600 (or lower)
is digital but SD]

My point was, it's not illegal to make a device that takes an HDMI HD
signal (with HDCP) and converts it into, for example, NTSC composite
analog (e.g. yellow RCA plug). That seems to be the capability (not
currently illegal) that you are discussing which providers are asking to
be capable of being turned off. That might work on a cable box
(although maybe not current and past production models) but it will
hardly work for DVD content, which is currently SD, but still of very
good quality.

From: Benjamin Gawert on
Am 24.02.2010 20:43, * Boris Badenov:

> Yea, but there are adapters available so he can still do it. In my
> wants SVGA though

No, he wants *SVHS* not SVGA.

Benjamin
From: Benjamin Gawert on
Am 24.02.2010 17:49, * GMAN:

> So how do you suggest the OP or anyone else for that matter be able to record
> video out from their pc?

There are programs that allow recording of screen content, for example
FRAPS.

Besides that, why should anyone want to record the video output from
their PC?

Benjamin
From: Benjamin Gawert on
Am 25.02.2010 00:50, * Barry Watzman:

> Re: "It is not legal to make or sell HDCP capable DVI to analog (VGA -
> Component) converters**"
>
> I don't think that's absolutely true. It depends on the format and
> resolution of the output of the conversion. If the output is "SD"
> (standard definition) then it is legal. If it's "HD" it's not legal. I'm
> not sure where or if these terms are defined precisely. But analog VGA
> 640x480 is definitely not considered HD.

The legality has absolutely nothing to do with the resolution of the
signal. HDMI is protected by a proprietary copy protection (HDCP) which
to circumvent is illegal in a lot of countries.

Benjamin
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: ATI and Physx?
Next: ATI AIW X1900 Record Problem, Help!