From: Baron on
Gordon Inscribed thus:

> chrisv wrote:
>

>> I don't think you're being totally fair, Jed. There is some overlap
>> between what these tools can do, and for some people it makes sense
>> to use the tool that they are more familiar with, rather than attempt
>> to master yet another tool that may provide a more elegant solution
>> in the end.
>
> I think this is the problem isn't it - MS Office is so ingrained into
> the computing world psyche that people are (probably) scared to try
> something else in case "it doesn't work" - in similar vein I am
> increasingly worried that schools in the UK are teaching "Microsoft"
> not "computing" and the pointy-click generation will have grown up
> from infants not knowing that there ARE alternatives...

You've only got to look at the deal John Major did with M$ to see that
its exactly what the schools are doing.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Baron on
Conor Inscribed thus:

> In article <pan.2010.01.14.22.38.12.518987(a)stovell.nospam.org.uk>,
> Phil Stovell says...
>
>> The UK Government used to have (may still have) a policy of only
>> using software that is ISO standards compliant. OO is, I'm not sure
>> about MSO.
>
> UK Govt runs on MSO.

You might think so !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Baron on
Martin Inscribed thus:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:29:09 +0000, Ivor Jones
> <ivor(a)thisaddressis.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 16/01/10 00:29, Nix wrote:
>>> On 14 Jan 2010, Baron stated:
>>>
>>> Not that likely actually. The UK's laws regarding juries are fiercer
>>> than just about any others anywhere else in the world. Much, much
>>> fiercer.
>>
>>Indeed. I did jury service last year, the warnings issued about
>>discussing any aspect of the trial outside the jury room even after
>>the trial had finished were *very* dire indeed.
>>
>>Ivor
>
> Now that you have told us, they will have to kill you and every other
> instance of Ivor Jones. :o)

Actually his admission of doing JS isn't a problem. Its the "Any
aspect" bit that gets you in contempt.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Conor on
In article <pan.2010.01.16.19.13.35.31007(a)stovell.nospam.org.uk>, Phil
Stovell says...
]
> > I'm not posting from an advocacy group.
>

> Newsgroups:
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.os.linux
>
> Can't read eh?

I can. Only one of those groups is an advocacy group. You don't need to
be posting from it for your post to appear in it.

> Don't bother replying, I'm ignoring this thread from now on, CTRL+I.

Only because you've just shown yourself to be as thick as pigshit.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
From: Gordon on
Conor wrote:

> In article <20100115221137.2112.7338.XPN(a)gordon-laptop>, Gordon says...
>>
>> Conor wrote:
>>

>> > It doesn't have to. MSO is the defacto standard,
>>
>> No - it's what MS has imposed. It's not any sort of "standard" at all.
>
> Microsoft didn't force people to buy MSO. WP had the market, Lotus gave
> away Smartsuite for free. MSO still won despite costing shitloads more.

WRONG. MS "won" because it ALSO gave away free copies, with server OSs.
And I don't recall Lotus giving away free copies untill MS had locked
people into Office...