From: 7 on
Micoshaft oriffice no more! - Use OpenOffice

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1585700/microsoft-falls

Open Office is cheaper than micoshaft oriffice and exports
in PDF format for free.

http://www.openoffice.org

Built into most liveCDs...

http://www.livecdlist.com
http://www.distrowatch.com

From: richard on
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:34:06 GMT, 7 wrote:

> Micoshaft oriffice no more! - Use OpenOffice
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1585700/microsoft-falls
>

> Open Office is cheaper than micoshaft oriffice and exports
> in PDF format for free.
>

> http://www.openoffice.org
>

> Built into most liveCDs...
>
> http://www.livecdlist.com
> http://www.distrowatch.com

I hate to say this, but I think some highly paid attorneys snowed one over
an uneducated judge and jury.
First of all, no person or company can claim copyright on xml, or any part
thereof, because it is in public domain. One of the features of xml is to
be able to create your own customiseable tags. Which means, thousands of
users can use the precise same custom tags at will.

Just like with html, no one can claim an exclusive copyright on the code
because that would deny millions of web pages to be in existance.

Copyright belongs to the creator. Neither i4i nor microsoft created xml and
therefor have no claims to its content.

There may also be other reasons why i4i can't claim the copyright. I'll bet
that if it had been heard in a US court, i4i would have lost.
From: Zu Arsschlaark! on

"7" <website_has_email(a)www.,
<snip>

Shut Your Orifice!

From: chuckcar on
7 <website_has_email(a)www.enemygadgets.com> wrote in

> Micoshaft oriffice no more! - Use OpenOffice
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1585700/microsoft-falls
>

> Open Office is cheaper than micoshaft oriffice

Of course it is. It's bloody GPL. It's *free*.

> and exports
> in PDF format for free.

Why would *anyone* want to do that FCS?

Learn what you're talking about before you post

http://gnu.org

Besides, none of the above means the product is leaving the market or
that GNU/GPL has anything to do with it. They tried outthinking
Canadians, and of course they didn't have a chance.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
From: The Old Sourdough on
richard mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:30:05 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

snip
>> Someone who doesn't even know the difference between patent and
>> copyright should not be speculating on the education level of others.

> Still, xml can not be patented.

Nobody claimed to have patented XML, St00pid. Read the article again.
Now read it again. Now, read it a third time.

> Now you may sound all knowing about everything, but certain information
> about jurors are just not available. Next you'll post their home addresses
> and phone numbers.

In a trial of that nature, names are a matter of public record. If you
know the names, the rest is easy. After all, this wasn't a sensational
criminal trial.

> When I first read the story posted, I was under the impression the case was
> heard in Canada since that is where i4i is located, and most likely the
> patent as well.

You mean when you looked at the pictures, since you obviously didn't
*read* the article.

> I don't understand <snip>

That's obvious.

--
The Old Sourdough
No Microsoft products were used in any way for the creation of this