From: Snit on
Gordon stated in post 7r8k2rFcc8U1(a)mid.individual.net on 1/14/10 6:21 AM:

> Snit wrote:
>> Gordon stated in post 7r83jfF6tkU2(a)mid.individual.net on 1/14/10 1:40 AM:

>>> For the few users only who need functions which are not in OO. And
>>> that's not many.
>>
>> Just looking at what functions / features each has does not tell you which
>> is better suited for a task... you have to look at how well each function is
>> handled.
>
> A rather nebulous reply....

There will be some level of opinion as to what features serve you best in
each, but to *not* look at that is just insane... like the people who judge
code by the number of flaws per X number of lines - meaningless without
knowing how bad each flaw is!

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

From: Gordon on
Ezekiel wrote:

> I really, really like OneNote. I think that it's the most *under rated*
> application in the entire MS-Office suite. It's a great app that few have
> ever heard of.

Mainly because it comes with Office Home and Student, not the versions
for commercial use...
From: Hadron on
Gordon <gbplinux(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Tom Shelton wrote:
>>

>> Well, the biggest thing I can see is automation support. I know that
>> OOo has scripting capabilities - but that's not what I'm talking
>> about. MSO goes way beyond just having macro's and scripting. You
>> can completely automate the whole suite of applications from 3rd party
>> apps.. I think OOo does have an sdk for Java or something, but MSO is
>> exposes it's api as a com interfaces, making it accessible from pretty
>> much any programming language that can be used to develop on
>> windows...
>>
>> I work for a very large company, bigger then MS, and and sometimes, I
>> think this whole company runs on excel. They use access and excel all
>> the time, and use lots of automation. In fact, my next big project is
>> a whole suite of excel add-on's using VSTO - which is something I've
>> never had to do before, not normally and office guy :)
>>
>> Anyway, OOo is a capable product - a bit slow, clunky, and memory
>> hungry, but still suitable for many applications - but for many
>> enterprise needs it doesn't seem nearly as capable. For instance,
>> people here are really begining to use OneNote a lot. We are a pretty
>> distributed team with members all over the US - and OneNote makes it
>> easy to do collaborative work. Is there anything like OneNote in the
>> OOo suite?
>
> Hmmm. I've worked for several large corporations in the UK and never saw
> anyone using VBA or Macros, never mind automation. Most people couldn't
> tell me what Pivot tables were either...

You were not working with people who use Excel
daily then. Any form of data analysis with excel brings in pivots for
competent users.

From: Hadron on
Snit <usenet(a)gallopinginsanity.com> writes:

> Gordon stated in post 7r8k2rFcc8U1(a)mid.individual.net on 1/14/10 6:21 AM:
>
>> Snit wrote:
>>> Gordon stated in post 7r83jfF6tkU2(a)mid.individual.net on 1/14/10 1:40 AM:

>>> Just looking at what functions / features each has does not tell you which
>>> is better suited for a task... you have to look at how well each function is
>>> handled.
>>
>> A rather nebulous reply....
>
> There will be some level of opinion as to what features serve you best in
> each, but to *not* look at that is just insane... like the people who judge
> code by the number of flaws per X number of lines - meaningless without
> knowing how bad each flaw is!

You mean how Keith Bigshot sees his bearded army? Twice as many? Twice
as fast!

His "wait til the PhDs get started" had me laughing for ages. Yeah, all
the Phds are gonna come running to write SW for free for him
.... incredible

From: Tom Shelton on
On Jan 14, 8:29 am, Gordon <gbpli...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom Shelton wrote:
>
> > Well, the biggest thing I can see is automation support.  I know that
> > OOo has scripting capabilities - but that's not what I'm talking
> > about.  MSO goes way beyond just having macro's and scripting.  You
> > can completely automate the whole suite of applications from 3rd party
> > apps..  I think OOo does have an sdk for Java or something, but MSO is
> > exposes it's api as a com interfaces, making it accessible from pretty
> > much any programming language that can be used to develop on
> > windows...
>
> > I work for a very large company, bigger then MS, and and sometimes, I
> > think this whole company runs on excel.  They use access and excel all
> > the time, and use lots of automation.  In fact, my next big project is
> > a whole suite of excel add-on's using VSTO - which is something I've
> > never had to do before, not normally and office guy :)
>
> > Anyway, OOo is a capable product - a bit slow, clunky, and memory
> > hungry, but still suitable for many applications - but for many
> > enterprise needs it doesn't seem nearly as capable.  For instance,
> > people here are really begining to use OneNote a lot.  We are a pretty
> > distributed team with members all over the US - and OneNote makes it
> > easy to do collaborative work.  Is there anything like OneNote in the
> > OOo suite?
>
> Hmmm. I've worked for several large corporations in the UK and never saw
> anyone using VBA or Macros, never mind automation. Most people couldn't
> tell me what Pivot tables were either...

Funny, because here in the US - every company I've worked for from
large to small had some office automation being used. Again, VBA and
Macro's are not all there is to Office Automation. For instance, the
stuff I'm going to be doing is in C# not VBA.

--
Tom Shelton