From: Snit on
RonB stated in post hiofvn$8db$1(a)news.eternal-september.org on 1/14/10 6:21
PM:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:57:29 +0000, Gordon wrote:
>
>> Conor wrote:
>>> In article <slrnhkstrh.uit.jedi(a)nomad.mishnet>, JEDIDIAH says...

>>> Wrong. The vast majority of office users are in a corporate
>>> environment. OOo is not suitable for their needs.
>>>

>> And your reasoning for that is?
>> OO 3.1 is as every bit as suitable as Office 2003, which you would know
>> if you'd used it. Your comments so far tell us you've NEVER used it.
>
> Exactly. Most people who use Microsoft Word don't even know how to use its
> spellchecker (or they ignore it). When I had to use Word for something at
> work, I would just fire up WordPad -- nothing I wrote needed any kind of
> polish -- if it had I would have brought Word Pro to work or downloaded
> OpenOffice.
>
> Except for special departments, who uses a word processor anymore anyhow?
> Almost everything is email.
>
> But, of course, I don't do that mythical "serious" work where Windows and
> Microsoft Office are "absolutely necessary," that some folks here (on
> COLA) keep yammering on about.

Great argument: MS Word is not needed if you do not need a real word
processor.

Lovely advocacy. :)

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

From: Snit on
RonB stated in post hiog59$8db$2(a)news.eternal-september.org on 1/14/10 6:24
PM:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:40:15 +0000, Gordon wrote:
>
>> Conor wrote:
>>

>>> Quite probably. You'll also find they're using MS Office as well.
>>>

>> For the few users only who need functions which are not in OO. And
>> that's not many.
>
> That's exactly how we used in one of the places I worked that went to Open
> Office. A couple folks needed specialized macros, so they kept using
> Microsoft Office. Everyone else went to Open Office. And this was over
> three years ago -- Open Office has gotten much better since then.

Right: for people who do not need powerful word processing capabilities,
lesser word processors might work fine. Of course.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

From: Hadron on
RonB <ronb02NOSPAM(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:40:15 +0000, Gordon wrote:
>
>> Conor wrote:
>>

>>> Quite probably. You'll also find they're using MS Office as well.
>>>

>> For the few users only who need functions which are not in OO. And
>> that's not many.
>
> That's exactly how we used in one of the places I worked that went to Open
> Office. A couple folks needed specialized macros, so they kept using
> Microsoft Office. Everyone else went to Open Office. And this was over
> three years ago -- Open Office has gotten much better since then.

According to Willy it was ready for the prime time 10 years ago ....

No one believes your stories WrongG.

From: Hadron on
RonB <ronb02NOSPAM(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:59:38 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
>
>> Funny, because here in the US - every company I've worked for from large
>> to small had some office automation being used. Again, VBA and Macro's
>> are not all there is to Office Automation. For instance, the stuff I'm
>> going to be doing is in C# not VBA.
>
> Nowhere that I have worked have we used any kind of automation with
> Microsoft Office.

WronG, you were a bean counter. This does not mean you see the planning
an mering etc the goes on.

Automation is used all over the place.
From: Hadron on
Hadron<hadronquark(a)gmail.com> writes:

> RonB <ronb02NOSPAM(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:59:38 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:
>>
>>> Funny, because here in the US - every company I've worked for from large
>>> to small had some office automation being used. Again, VBA and Macro's
>>> are not all there is to Office Automation. For instance, the stuff I'm
>>> going to be doing is in C# not VBA.
>>
>> Nowhere that I have worked have we used any kind of automation with
>> Microsoft Office.
>
> WronG, you were a bean counter. This does not mean you see the planning
> an mering etc the goes on.

"and merging"