From: Gordon on
Conor wrote:

> Says the man who claims to have worked for the only �40m T/O company
> that has never ever used macros in Exel.

No claim. It's true.

Get back to selling laptops.
From: Gordon on
Jordon wrote:

> Gordon wrote:
>> Jordon wrote:
>
>>> I wasn't addressing OO, only Gordons claim that he's
>>> never seen anyone using scripts or pivot tables.
>
>> Well as I said, I've worked in several large UK corporations over some
>> years, and they just haven't needed to use VBA or Macros. It does depend
>> on the output from whaterver ERM system you are using - the less
>> sophisticated the more the user is likley to need Macros and VBA.
>> It's just my experience that these are few and far between - certainly
>> not sufficiently frequent to justify the wholesale use of MS Office...
>
> While I don't doubt what you say, understand that there
> are millions of people that work for business that are
> not "large corporations" that can't afford to have their
> own in-house systems designers. As far as "few and far
> between" goes, just open the door of your large corporation
> and look across the street at all of the small business.

I've also worked for a large number of small to medium enterprises as
well - from a 4-man Advertising Agency through to importing mineral
water, amd THEY didn't use macros or VBA either.
Had no need to....
From: Erik Funkenbusch on
On 15 Jan 2010 07:47:10 GMT, Gordon wrote:

> I've also worked for a large number of small to medium enterprises as
> well - from a 4-man Advertising Agency through to importing mineral
> water, amd THEY didn't use macros or VBA either.
> Had no need to....

How would you know? By your own admission you apparently don't stay at any
of your jobs long enough to know something like that, since you say you've
worked for "A large number of small to medium enterprises", unless you're
able to time travel or clone yourself, and you've got a limited time window
in which you could have worked for such companies (since about 1990 or 20
years) fitting a "large number" of companies means you're not at any of
them very long.

Or perhaps you were exagerating?

Nah.. that can't be it.
From: Gordon on
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2010 07:47:10 GMT, Gordon wrote:
>
>> I've also worked for a large number of small to medium enterprises as
>> well - from a 4-man Advertising Agency through to importing mineral
>> water, amd THEY didn't use macros or VBA either.
>> Had no need to....
>
> How would you know? By your own admission you apparently don't stay at any
> of your jobs long enough to know something like that, since you say you've
> worked for "A large number of small to medium enterprises", unless you're
> able to time travel or clone yourself, and you've got a limited time window
> in which you could have worked for such companies (since about 1990 or 20
> years) fitting a "large number" of companies means you're not at any of
> them very long.
>
> Or perhaps you were exagerating?
>
> Nah.. that can't be it.

Because I was the Systems Accountant. And NO-BODY stays in the same job
for more than a few years these days, certainly not in the fastest
moving sectors, and because this is over a time span of TWENTY
YEARS.....

I presume you are still at your clerk's job from when you left school...
From: Gordon on
Conor wrote:

> Excel is the only thing that counts.

No - Excel is the only thing that businesses have been conned into
using...