From: Rick on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 23:33:25 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Rick wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:16:43 -0700, Snit wrote:
>>
>>> Rick stated in post aMGdnROUzbJNDtLWnZ2dnUVZ_v1i4p2d(a)supernews.com on
>>> 1/14/10 2:59 PM:

>>> And many companies switched from WordPerfect to MS Office... at least
>>> those who have been around a while. And, I am sure, they have changed
>>> other things that do not serve them well... don't you agree?
>>
>> Possibly. But, AGAIN, OO.o apparently meets the needs of most of those
>> using it well enough to keep using it instead of using other sofftware.
>
> Well, several german cities seemed to be quite content with OO. Seems OO
> provided everything they needed. For example: The computers in Munich
> which still run windows have OO installed

.... and now watch the trolls start with their "yeah, but"...

--
Rick
From: Baron on
Gordon Inscribed thus:

> The Old Sourdough wrote:
>>

>> In a trial of that nature, names are a matter of public record.
>
> Interesting. Not in the UK they aren't.....

True ! Not only but its a criminal offense to publicly identify a
juror ! Its probably the same in the USA.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Baron on
Jordon Inscribed thus:

> Gordon wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I've worked for several large corporations in the UK and never
>> saw anyone using VBA or Macros, never mind automation. Most people
>> couldn't tell me what Pivot tables were either...
>
> Well, I work for a small corporation the US and
> without VBA in Excel many of my spreadsheets would
> be very user unfriendly. Average users can't be
> bothered with learning simple basics like sorting a
> list and I get constant calls from people asking me
> how to do the most mundane tasks, but add a simple
> script that sorts a 5,000 row list and the calls
> (about sorting) stop.
>
> I have spreadsheets that employees use that have
> upwards of 50 sheets that have to be protected or
> else someone will delete something they shouldn't.
> But when I have to do a global edit on all 50 sheets,
> turning off protection on each one becomes a huge
> chore. A simple script turns that into a 1 second
> job.
>
> Average users probably don't use pivot tables all
> that much but when the boss asks me who our top
> customers are and where their business takes place,
> I can give him an answer with a pivot table in about
> two minutes. That is, two minutes after the data has
> been pulled out of the database.
>
> No doubt about it, without VBA and pivot tables we'd
> be spending a lot more money to have something custom
> designed.

Obviously you don't know how to use a database either ! Since you can
do that with a simple query. No spreadsheet needed.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Snit on
Peter K�hlmann stated in post hio63l$la0$02$1(a)news.t-online.com on 1/14/10
3:33 PM:

> Rick wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:16:43 -0700, Snit wrote:
>>
>>> Rick stated in post aMGdnROUzbJNDtLWnZ2dnUVZ_v1i4p2d(a)supernews.com on
>>> 1/14/10 2:59 PM:

>>> And many companies switched from WordPerfect to MS Office... at least
>>> those who have been around a while. And, I am sure, they have changed
>>> other things that do not serve them well... don't you agree?
>>
>> Possibly. But, AGAIN, OO.o apparently meets the needs of most of those
>> using it well enough to keep using it instead of using other sofftware.
>
> Well, several german cities seemed to be quite content with OO. Seems OO
> provided everything they needed. For example: The computers in Munich
> which still run windows have OO installed

For relatively basic needs it is adequate.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

From: Snit on
Rick stated in post aMGdnQyUzbLuB9LWnZ2dnUVZ_v1i4p2d(a)supernews.com on
1/14/10 3:28 PM:

>>> ... except that, for the most part, those people/corporations have
>>> switched TO OO.o FROM MSO or some other software.
>>
>> And many companies switched from WordPerfect to MS Office... at least
>> those who have been around a while. And, I am sure, they have changed
>> other things that do not serve them well... don't you agree?
>
> Possibly. But, AGAIN, OO.o apparently meets the needs of most of those
> using it well enough to keep using it instead of using other sofftware.

Have you ever noticed how often you repeat points, even those which no
contrary view has been posted. It is an off habit of yours. Not very
endearing, really. Sorta kills any forward movement of a conversation.

In any case, it is clear you have no intention to even try to support your
claims about corporations... a shame - I figured that was an easy enough
claim to provide solid support for that you might actually try. I was
hoping to help you get practice supporting your claims - clearly you need
it.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]