From: Snit on
Gordon stated in post 7r83hoF6tkU1(a)mid.individual.net on 1/14/10 1:39 AM:

> Conor wrote:
>

>> Wrong. The vast majority of office users are in a corporate environment.
>> OOo is not suitable for their needs.
>>

> Drivel. I was a Systems Accountant up till a few years ago and I can
> tell you that MOST corporate users do NOT use any functionality that is
> in MS Office but not in Open Office. Period.

People do use features which are handled better by MS Word... some that come
to mind: cropping of images, working with styles and lists, working with
bibliographies, working with themes, grammar checking, outlining, etc.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

From: Rick on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:11:08 +0000, Conor wrote:

> In article <47GdnW8NKaTfPdPWnZ2dnUVZ_uxi4p2d(a)supernews.com>, Rick
> says...
>>
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 04:18:07 +0000, Conor wrote:
>>
>> > In article <slrnhkstrh.uit.jedi(a)nomad.mishnet>, JEDIDIAH says...

>> > Wrong. The vast majority of office users are in a corporate
>> > environment. OOo is not suitable for their needs.
>>
>> Why not?
>>
>> I am sure there are some corporations listed here:
>> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/
>> Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments#Private_Sector>
>
> Quite probably. You'll also find they're using MS Office as well.

Yes? So? They are also using OpenOffice.

--
Rick
From: Rick on
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:13:04 -0700, Snit wrote:

> Rick stated in post 47GdnW8NKaTfPdPWnZ2dnUVZ_uxi4p2d(a)supernews.com on
> 1/13/10 9:40 PM:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 04:18:07 +0000, Conor wrote:
>>
>>> In article <slrnhkstrh.uit.jedi(a)nomad.mishnet>, JEDIDIAH says...

>>> Wrong. The vast majority of office users are in a corporate
>>> environment. OOo is not suitable for their needs.
>>
>> Why not?
>
> I would not go so far as to say it is not suitable, but I do not think
> it intrinsically is the best product for most needs:

It apparently meets the needs of those using it well enough to keep using
it instead of using other sofftware.
(snip)

>> I am sure there are some corporations listed here:
>> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/
>> Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments#Private_Sector>
>
> Such as?

I do not believe any answer to that question will satisfy you. I think
you will just trow some dissenting view of why it is being used at "X"
corporation. So, if you truly want to know, go through the list.

--
Rick
From: Rick on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:44:40 +0100, Hadron wrote:

> Rick <none(a)mail.invalid> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 04:18:07 +0000, Conor wrote:
>>
>>> In article <slrnhkstrh.uit.jedi(a)nomad.mishnet>, JEDIDIAH says...

>>> Wrong. The vast majority of office users are in a corporate
>>> environment. OOo is not suitable for their needs.
>>
>> Why not?
>>
>> I am sure there are some corporations listed here:
>> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/
>> Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments#Private_Sector>
>
> It can be suitable if they dont need 100% MSO compatibility.
>
> To advocate it if they do is silly.

From what I have seen, the only way to guarantee 100% MSO compatibility
is for all of the parties involved to use exactly the same version of
MSO, including service packs and add-ons.

--
Rick
From: Phil Stovell on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:49:03 -0600, Rick wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:44:40 +0100, Hadron wrote:
>
>> Rick <none(a)mail.invalid> writes:

>>> Why not?
>>>
>>> I am sure there are some corporations listed here:
>>> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/
>>> Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments#Private_Sector>
>>
>> It can be suitable if they dont need 100% MSO compatibility.
>>
>> To advocate it if they do is silly.
>
> From what I have seen, the only way to guarantee 100% MSO compatibility is
> for all of the parties involved to use exactly the same version of MSO,
> including service packs and add-ons.

We went through all this last week when somebody published a MS Word DOCX
file the OO couldn't render properly. The only thing was, MS Word viewer
with the DOCX service pack couldn't render it either, the only program
that could was the version of Word that created it.