From: Phil Stovell on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:58:05 +0000, Conor wrote:

> Its shitloads. In Calc, there's shitloads of Exel functions missing and
> there's sod all macro support.

Are all Calc functions in Excel?
From: JEDIDIAH on
On 2010-01-14, Peter Köhlmann <peter-koehlmann(a)t-online.de> wrote:

> Jordon wrote:
>
>> Gordon wrote:

[deletia]
>> Average users probably don't use pivot tables all
>> that much but when the boss asks me who our top
>> customers are and where their business takes place,
>> I can give him an answer with a pivot table in about
>> two minutes. That is, two minutes after the data has
>> been pulled out of the database.
>>
>> No doubt about it, without VBA and pivot tables we'd
>> be spending a lot more money to have something custom
>> designed.
>>

> Well, that all is fine and dandy. But nothing of it is something which
> can't be done on OO too.
> You do know that OO is as scriptable as MSO is, do you?
> And that OO has pivot tables too?
>
> So if you want to share your "experience" why MSO is so important to you,
> better make it with something which can't be equally done with OO

....what I am curious about is why he isn't doing this in the source db.

--
....as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
/ | \
From: Jordon on
JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2010-01-14, Peter Köhlmann<peter-koehlmann(a)t-online.de> wrote:
>> Jordon wrote:
>>> Gordon wrote:
> [deletia]
>>> Average users probably don't use pivot tables all
>>> that much but when the boss asks me who our top
>>> customers are and where their business takes place,
>>> I can give him an answer with a pivot table in about
>>> two minutes. That is, two minutes after the data has
>>> been pulled out of the database.
>>>
>>> No doubt about it, without VBA and pivot tables we'd
>>> be spending a lot more money to have something custom
>>> designed.

>> Well, that all is fine and dandy. But nothing of it is something which
>> can't be done on OO too.
>> You do know that OO is as scriptable as MSO is, do you?
>> And that OO has pivot tables too?
>>
>> So if you want to share your "experience" why MSO is so important to you,
>> better make it with something which can't be equally done with OO

> ...what I am curious about is why he isn't doing this in the source db.

Because I don't know how, don't want to learn and don't
want to pay someone a fortune to provide that functionality.
A cheap spreadsheet gets me what I want as fast as I need
it and I'm good at it.

--
Jordon
From: Rick on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:47:44 -0700, Snit wrote:

> Rick stated in post 47GdnWkNKaSnmdLWnZ2dnUVZ_uxi4p2d(a)supernews.com on
> 1/14/10 4:47 AM:

>>> I would not go so far as to say it is not suitable, but I do not think
>>> it intrinsically is the best product for most needs: it does not offer
>>> as many features and has features not done was well (including ones
>>> which are relatively common). Still, because of *external* factors I
>>> can see (and have) recommended it to quite a few people - mostly based
>>> on price but also for some who place value on the OSS principles.
>>> You repeatedly post your link to a list of groups who use OpenOffice
>>> as if that somehow shows something about the software... as if people
>>> using it shows it has better intrinsic value. Your game is absurd
>>> though... if mere counts of companies substituted for a sign of value,
>>> then MS Office and MS Windows are *clearly* the best products in their
>>> class by *far*.
>>
>> It apparently meets the needs of those using it well enough to keep
>> using it instead of using other sofftware.
>
> And, of course, you say the same thing about Windows and MS Office - it
> meets the needs of those who use it well enough that they keep using it
> instead of other software.

.... except that, for the most part, those people/corporations have
switched TO OO.o FROM MSO or some other software.

>>> Such as?
>>
>> I do not believe any answer to that question will satisfy you.
>
> It is public info what companies are corporations and which are not!

So what? I do not believe any answer to that question will satisfy you.

>> I think you will just throw some dissenting view of why it is being
>> used at "X" corporation. So, if you truly want to know, go
>> through the list.
>
> See how bad you are at supporting your claims - even ones where the
> evidence you could bring up would be very solid if you would actually
> try!

Yada Yada yada. You want to know which corporations? Go through the list.
And, AGAIN, if I were to name a corporation (or more) I think you will

From: Jordon on
Gordon wrote:
> Jordon wrote:

>> I wasn't addressing OO, only Gordons claim that he's
>> never seen anyone using scripts or pivot tables.

> Well as I said, I've worked in several large UK corporations over some
> years, and they just haven't needed to use VBA or Macros. It does depend
> on the output from whaterver ERM system you are using - the less
> sophisticated the more the user is likley to need Macros and VBA.
> It's just my experience that these are few and far between - certainly
> not sufficiently frequent to justify the wholesale use of MS Office...

While I don't doubt what you say, understand that there
are millions of people that work for business that are
not "large corporations" that can't afford to have their
own in-house systems designers. As far as "few and far
between" goes, just open the door of your large corporation
and look across the street at all of the small business.

--
Jordon