From: Snit on
Rick stated in post iZOdnW2SccEEANLWnZ2dnUVZ_uFi4p2d(a)supernews.com on
1/14/10 3:41 PM:

>>> Possibly. But, AGAIN, OO.o apparently meets the needs of most of those
>>> using it well enough to keep using it instead of using other sofftware.
>>
>> Well, several german cities seemed to be quite content with OO. Seems OO
>> provided everything they needed. For example: The computers in Munich
>> which still run windows have OO installed
>

> ... and now watch the trolls start with their "yeah, but"...

But what?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

From: RonB on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:57:29 +0000, Gordon wrote:

> Conor wrote:

>>> ...which as I said before is the vast majority of users.
>>>
>> Wrong. The vast majority of office users are in a corporate
>> environment. OOo is not suitable for their needs.
>>

> And your reasoning for that is?
> OO 3.1 is as every bit as suitable as Office 2003, which you would know
> if you'd used it. Your comments so far tell us you've NEVER used it.

Exactly. Most people who use Microsoft Word don't even know how to use its
spellchecker (or they ignore it). When I had to use Word for something at
work, I would just fire up WordPad -- nothing I wrote needed any kind of
polish -- if it had I would have brought Word Pro to work or downloaded
OpenOffice.

Except for special departments, who uses a word processor anymore anyhow?
Almost everything is email.

But, of course, I don't do that mythical "serious" work where Windows and
Microsoft Office are "absolutely necessary," that some folks here (on
COLA) keep yammering on about.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
From: RonB on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:40:15 +0000, Gordon wrote:

> Conor wrote:
>

>> Quite probably. You'll also find they're using MS Office as well.
>>

> For the few users only who need functions which are not in OO. And
> that's not many.

That's exactly how we used in one of the places I worked that went to Open
Office. A couple folks needed specialized macros, so they kept using
Microsoft Office. Everyone else went to Open Office. And this was over
three years ago -- Open Office has gotten much better since then.

From: RonB on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:59:38 -0800, Tom Shelton wrote:

> Funny, because here in the US - every company I've worked for from large
> to small had some office automation being used. Again, VBA and Macro's
> are not all there is to Office Automation. For instance, the stuff I'm
> going to be doing is in C# not VBA.

Nowhere that I have worked have we used any kind of automation with
Microsoft Office.

From: RonB on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 01:44:15 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Hadron wrote:

>> I use OO. But I find it over weight and sluggish to the extreme.
>
> Only thing is, it is about as "fast" or "sluggish" as MSO is

For what I need, I use AbiWord and Gnumeric. Both very light and fast.