From: Ezekiel on

"Gordon" <gbplinux(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ezekiel wrote:
>
>> I really, really like OneNote. I think that it's the most *under rated*
>> application in the entire MS-Office suite. It's a great app that few have
>> ever heard of.
>
> Mainly because it comes with Office Home and Student, not the versions
> for commercial use...

It also comes with the 'Ultimate' version of MSO. I sort-of wish that they
included it with some of the other versions because it's a really, really
nice application for ad-hoc notes and stuff like that. There's a video
somewhere (probably the OneNote website at Microsoft.com) that has a short 5
minute video on OneNote. I never installed OneNote until I watched the video
and now I install it on all my PCs.

From: Jordon on
Gordon wrote:

> Hmmm. I've worked for several large corporations in the UK and never saw
> anyone using VBA or Macros, never mind automation. Most people couldn't
> tell me what Pivot tables were either...

Well, I work for a small corporation the US and
without VBA in Excel many of my spreadsheets would
be very user unfriendly. Average users can't be
bothered with learning simple basics like sorting a
list and I get constant calls from people asking me
how to do the most mundane tasks, but add a simple
script that sorts a 5,000 row list and the calls
(about sorting) stop.

I have spreadsheets that employees use that have
upwards of 50 sheets that have to be protected or
else someone will delete something they shouldn't.
But when I have to do a global edit on all 50 sheets,
turning off protection on each one becomes a huge
chore. A simple script turns that into a 1 second
job.

Average users probably don't use pivot tables all
that much but when the boss asks me who our top
customers are and where their business takes place,
I can give him an answer with a pivot table in about
two minutes. That is, two minutes after the data has
been pulled out of the database.

No doubt about it, without VBA and pivot tables we'd
be spending a lot more money to have something custom
designed.

--
Jordon
From: Jordon on
Gordon wrote:

> Hmmm. I've worked for several large corporations in the
> UK and never saw anyone using VBA or Macros, never mind
> automation. Most people couldn't tell me what Pivot tables
> were either...

Well, I work for a small corporation the US and
without VBA in Excel many of my spreadsheets would
be very user unfriendly. Average users can't be
bothered with learning simple basics like sorting a
list and I get constant calls from people asking me
how to do the most mundane tasks, but add a simple
script that sorts a 5,000 row list and and give it
a shortcut and the calls (about sorting) stop.

I have spreadsheets that employees use that have
upwards of 50 sheets that have to be protected or
else someone will delete something they shouldn't.
But when I have to do a global edit on all 50 sheets,
turning off protection on each one becomes a huge
chore. A simple script turns that into a 1 second
job.

Average users probably don't use pivot tables but

From: Peter Köhlmann on
Jordon wrote:

> Gordon wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I've worked for several large corporations in the UK and never
>> saw anyone using VBA or Macros, never mind automation. Most people
>> couldn't tell me what Pivot tables were either...
>
> Well, I work for a small corporation the US and
> without VBA in Excel many of my spreadsheets would
> be very user unfriendly. Average users can't be
> bothered with learning simple basics like sorting a
> list and I get constant calls from people asking me
> how to do the most mundane tasks, but add a simple
> script that sorts a 5,000 row list and the calls
> (about sorting) stop.
>
> I have spreadsheets that employees use that have
> upwards of 50 sheets that have to be protected or
> else someone will delete something they shouldn't.
> But when I have to do a global edit on all 50 sheets,
> turning off protection on each one becomes a huge
> chore. A simple script turns that into a 1 second
> job.
>
> Average users probably don't use pivot tables all
> that much but when the boss asks me who our top
> customers are and where their business takes place,
> I can give him an answer with a pivot table in about
> two minutes. That is, two minutes after the data has
> been pulled out of the database.
>
> No doubt about it, without VBA and pivot tables we'd
> be spending a lot more money to have something custom
> designed.

Well, that all is fine and dandy. But nothing of it is something which
can't be done on OO too.
You do know that OO is as scriptable as MSO is, do you?
And that OO has pivot tables too?

So if you want to share your "experience" why MSO is so important to you,
better make it with something which can't be equally done with OO
--
Microsoft? Is that some kind of a toilet paper?

From: Jordon on
Peter K�hlmann wrote:
> Jordon wrote:
>
>> Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm. I've worked for several large corporations in the UK and never
>>> saw anyone using VBA or Macros, never mind automation. Most people
>>> couldn't tell me what Pivot tables were either...
>>
>> Well, I work for a small corporation the US and
>> without VBA in Excel many of my spreadsheets would
>> be very user unfriendly. Average users can't be
>> bothered with learning simple basics like sorting a
>> list and I get constant calls from people asking me
>> how to do the most mundane tasks, but add a simple
>> script that sorts a 5,000 row list and the calls
>> (about sorting) stop.
>>
>> I have spreadsheets that employees use that have
>> upwards of 50 sheets that have to be protected or
>> else someone will delete something they shouldn't.
>> But when I have to do a global edit on all 50 sheets,
>> turning off protection on each one becomes a huge
>> chore. A simple script turns that into a 1 second
>> job.
>>
>> Average users probably don't use pivot tables all
>> that much but when the boss asks me who our top
>> customers are and where their business takes place,
>> I can give him an answer with a pivot table in about
>> two minutes. That is, two minutes after the data has
>> been pulled out of the database.
>>
>> No doubt about it, without VBA and pivot tables we'd
>> be spending a lot more money to have something custom
>> designed.
>>

> Well, that all is fine and dandy. But nothing of it is something which
> can't be done on OO too.
> You do know that OO is as scriptable as MSO is, do you?
> And that OO has pivot tables too?
>
> So if you want to share your "experience" why MSO is so important to you,
> better make it with something which can't be equally done with OO

I wasn't addressing OO, only Gordons claim that he's
never seen anyone using scripts or pivot tables.

FWIW, I use Office only at work. I use OO at home and
I'm aware of it's features.

--
Jordon