From: Rick on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 04:18:07 +0000, Conor wrote:

> In article <slrnhkstrh.uit.jedi(a)nomad.mishnet>, JEDIDIAH says...
>>
>> On 2010-01-13, Conor <conor(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>> >

>> > In article <slrnhksal6.5sr.jedi(a)nomad.mishnet>, JEDIDIAH says...

>> > OOo is no use to anyone who wants to do more than a basic expenses
>> > spreadsheet or homework.
>>
>> ...which as I said before is the vast majority of users.
>>
> Wrong. The vast majority of office users are in a corporate environment.
> OOo is not suitable for their needs.

Why not?

I am sure there are some corporations listed here:
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/
Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments#Private_Sector>

--
Rick
From: Conor on
In article <47GdnW8NKaTfPdPWnZ2dnUVZ_uxi4p2d(a)supernews.com>, Rick
says...

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 04:18:07 +0000, Conor wrote:

> >> ...which as I said before is the vast majority of users.
> >>
> > Wrong. The vast majority of office users are in a corporate environment.
> > OOo is not suitable for their needs.
>
> Why not?
>
> I am sure there are some corporations listed here:
> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/
> Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments#Private_Sector>

Quite probably. You'll also find they're using MS Office as well.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
From: Snit on
Rick stated in post 47GdnW8NKaTfPdPWnZ2dnUVZ_uxi4p2d(a)supernews.com on
1/13/10 9:40 PM:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 04:18:07 +0000, Conor wrote:

>>> ...which as I said before is the vast majority of users.
>>>
>> Wrong. The vast majority of office users are in a corporate environment.
>> OOo is not suitable for their needs.
>
> Why not?

I would not go so far as to say it is not suitable, but I do not think it
intrinsically is the best product for most needs: it does not offer as many
features and has features not done was well (including ones which are
relatively common). Still, because of *external* factors I can see (and
have) recommended it to quite a few people - mostly based on price but also
for some who place value on the OSS principles. You repeatedly post your
link to a list of groups who use OpenOffice as if that somehow shows
something about the software... as if people using it shows it has better
intrinsic value. Your game is absurd though... if mere counts of companies
substituted for a sign of value, then MS Office and MS Windows are *clearly*
the best products in their class by *far*.

> I am sure there are some corporations listed here:
> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/
> Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments#Private_Sector>

Such as?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

From: Gordon on
Conor wrote:
> In article <slrnhksal6.5sr.jedi(a)nomad.mishnet>, JEDIDIAH says...
>
>> Open Office is good enough to apply negative price pressure to MSO.
>
> OOo is no use to anyone who wants to do more than a basic expenses
> spreadsheet or homework.

You obviously have never used it then.
From: Gordon on
Conor wrote:
> In article <slrnhkstrh.uit.jedi(a)nomad.mishnet>, JEDIDIAH says...
>> On 2010-01-13, Conor <conor(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> In article <slrnhksal6.5sr.jedi(a)nomad.mishnet>, JEDIDIAH says...

>>> OOo is no use to anyone who wants to do more than a basic expenses
>>> spreadsheet or homework.
>> ...which as I said before is the vast majority of users.
>>
> Wrong. The vast majority of office users are in a corporate environment.
> OOo is not suitable for their needs.

And your reasoning for that is?
OO 3.1 is as every bit as suitable as Office 2003, which you would know
if you'd used it. Your comments so far tell us you've NEVER used it.