From: Roy East on
Hi, After recently coming off McFee Anti virus, I have now gone over to
Microsoft Security Essentials Anti Virus. Can it be recommended? Also should
I download anything else (bearing in mind I can only get DialUp in this
area).

From: siljaline on
Roy East wrote:
> Hi, After recently coming off McFee Anti virus, I have now gone over to
> Microsoft Security Essentials Anti Virus. Can it be recommended? Also should
> I download anything else (bearing in mind I can only get DialUp in this
> area).

Many are now using MSE, Roy - the question is if your connection can handle the update
packages that are generally available several times daily.

See more here: >
<https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/HowToMSE.aspx>

Good luck with MSE, I hope you enjoy it.

Silj

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

From: Roy East on

Thank you silj,
I am a dumb dumb when it comes to computers. Questions questions. How do I
tell if I operate a 32bit or 64 bit system? I set MSE to update once per
week, but are you saying I should update daily? Also do I need to download
an Adware program?

Roy
P.S. I like that bit about '"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the
Internet....' So true.

"siljaline" <spam(a)uce.gov> wrote in message
Roy East wrote:
> Hi, After recently coming off McFee Anti virus, I have now gone over to
> Microsoft Security Essentials Anti Virus. Can it be recommended? Also
> should
> I download anything else (bearing in mind I can only get DialUp in this
> area).

Many are now using MSE, Roy - the question is if your connection can handle
the update
packages that are generally available several times daily.

See more here: >
<https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/HowToMSE.aspx>

Good luck with MSE, I hope you enjoy it.

Silj

-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
time."
- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

From: siljaline on
Roy East wrote:

> Thank you silj,
> I am a dumb dumb when it comes to computers. Questions questions. How do I
> tell if I operate a 32bit or 64 bit system? I set MSE to update once per
> week, but are you saying I should update daily? Also do I need to download
> an Adware program?

How often you update is up to you, Roy - I suspect several times weekly would be sufficient.

Determine your system build this way >
<http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN523>

They are no current anti-malware programs out there that I currently recommend.
Though MSE has some anti-malware functionality.

Regards,

From: siljaline on
Point your Browser here for MSE chat & support >
<http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse>