From: Leythos on
In article <agp_m.925$pV.79(a)newsfe23.ams2>, royeast(a)example.invalid
says...

> Hi, After recently coming off McFee Anti virus, I have now gone over to
> Microsoft Security Essentials Anti Virus. Can it be recommended? Also should
> I download anything else (bearing in mind I can only get DialUp in this
> area).

I like Avira Antivir - I've seen it block malware from sites while
browsing using IE and FireFox where most of the Corporate versions of
the major players didn't even notice or let the machine be compromised.

I specifically went to a couple sites where Symantec End Point
Protection (Corporate version) let the machine get compromised, with
Avira Free edition it detected the malware and blocked it.

Trust yourself.
From: Cronos on
David H. Lipman wrote:

> I have not see ONE statemnt made to thart effect.
>
> I have seen many statemnts to the contrary in various Usenet groups.

Yea, neither have I and Avira is very light on system resources so I say
he may be a Microsoft employee spreading FUD.
From: PajaP on
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 14:27:53 -0800, Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid>
wrote:

>David H. Lipman wrote:
>
>> I have not see ONE statemnt made to thart effect.
>>
>> I have seen many statemnts to the contrary in various Usenet groups.

How many is many? I am looking through the likely suspects and I don't
see that many. What do you think the ratio to these posts is to the
amount of installs?

>Yea, neither have I and Avira is very light on system resources so I say

I took it off my system and others as it used too many system resources
in combination with MalwareBytes. Though Avast was far worse than Avira.

>he may be a Microsoft employee spreading FUD.

Sigh.... Pathetic.
I could reply with "You sound more like an MalwareBytes and Avira shill
to me", but I won't.

MalwareBytes is good for cleaning up an infection but used too many
resources on mine to have it running (and yes I did buy it).
Either way I find having one program running (MSE) uses less resources
on my system than MalwareBytes and either Avira or Avast.
That is what I found which I why I use MSE and one of the reasons
**many** others do.
From: Cronos on
PajaP wrote:

> I took it off my system and others as it used too many system resources
> in combination with MalwareBytes. Though Avast was far worse than Avira.

I have free versions of Malwarebytes and Avira so no added resources
used by Malwarebytes because free version has no TSR and free version of
Avira does not scan web sites so it doesn't slow web browsing down like
all AVs I have tried do when they protect your browsing. I use noscript
and adblock+ in FF so have little to worry about with bad wwebsites. I
can run games with Avira running and no noticed slow down even. MSE on
the other hand slows down the Windows explorer even and is why I
stopped using it. Avira doesn't, none that I can detect anyway.

You can set Malwarebytes not to run in the background.
From: PajaP on
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 17:22:20 -0800, Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid>
wrote:

>PajaP wrote:
>
>> I took it off my system and others as it used too many system resources
>> in combination with MalwareBytes. Though Avast was far worse than Avira.
>
>I have free versions of Malwarebytes and Avira so no added resources
>used by Malwarebytes because free version has no TSR and free version of
>Avira does not scan web sites so it doesn't slow web browsing down like
>all AVs I have tried do when they protect your browsing. I use noscript
>and adblock+ in FF so have little to worry about with bad wwebsites. I
>can run games with Avira running and no noticed slow down even. MSE on
>the other hand slows down the Windows explorer even and is why I
>stopped using it. Avira doesn't, none that I can detect anyway.

I have installed MSE on numerous systems and not had any issues with it.
Others that have installed it on my recommendation have had no issues
with it. Some of these same people have complained both Avira and Avast
have caused issue on the same systems especially with MalwareBytes
running too.
MSE obviously works on a much higher percentage of systems without
issues. The same would apply to Avira, Avast and MalwareBytes.
Everyone's system is different.
Does now make someone an MS shill just because they prefer an MS product
and are not afraid to recommend it here.

>You can set Malwarebytes not to run in the background.

Which I have done. Some might call this a waste of money buying the full
product though.

I also have the same FF set-up as yourself :)