From: Peter Dassow on
Bill Buckels schrieb:
> "Bill Buckels" <bbuckels(a)mts.net> wrote in message
>> Official Opening - Mix CP/M Museum
>
> http://www.cpm8680.com/mix/
>
> Peter Dassow is acknowledged and his website is linked back to from my site.
> Has Peter Dassow got links to my site? (Michael Haardt does.:)

Ok, I didn't linked to every page, but on
http://www.z80.eu/c-compiler.html I did (look for Mix C 2.1 link on the
page)...

Regards
Peter
From: Bill Buckels on
An alternate distribution of the Mix C 2.1 CP/M 80 compiler c/w the Mix ASM
Utility is available for download at the following link:

http://www.cpm8680.com/mix/mix-c21-max.zip

Freek Heite has provided us with five ADT diskette images from the original
Mix diskettes and these include the Mix ASM Utility. None of these is
bootable.

Unzip with directories intact.

1. The diskette images are:

#1: Mix C - version 2.1.0 - CP/M - Apple II with Z80 - serial
2036070849783 - disk 1 of 3 - (C) 1985 Mix Software, Inc.

#2: Mix C - version 2.1.0 - CP/M - Apple II with Z80 - disk 2 of 3 - (C)
1985 Mix Software, Inc.

#3: Mix C - version 2.1.0 - CP/M - Apple II with Z80 - disk 3 of 3 - (C)
1985 Mix Software, Inc.

#4: Mix Editor - version 1.1.0 - CP/M - Apple II with Z80 - serial
1036070852192 - (C) 1985 Mix Software, Inc.

#5: Mix Asm Utility - version 1.1.0 - CP/M 2.x or 3.0 - Apple II with Z80 -
serial 5036030356074 - (C) 1985 Mix Software, Inc.

2. Each diskette is also included as individual files in their respective
subdirectories.

3. A myz80 disk image is included called MAXMIX21.DSK.

The point of the myz80 disk image is to use the compiler on a Windows
machine or in an MS-DOS emulator to quickly compile and test programs before
transferring them to a real CP/M machine.

Everything from these 5 diskette images has been placed together on the same
disk image so no disk swapping is needed to use the compiler, the editor, or
the ASM utility.

The Mix Editor (from disk 4) has been set-up as an ASCII compatible editor
using SETEDIT and the SUBMIT files for the ASM utility (from disk 5) have
been edited and the drive letters removed. The READ.ME for the ASM utility
has been renamed to ASM.ME and the READ.ME for the editor has been renamed
to EDIT.ME to avoid naming conflicts with the compiler READ.ME.

To use this disk image, assuming you have downloaded Lee Bradley's myz80
tutorial (maxz80) from the following link:

http://primepuzzle.com/mouse/maxz80.zip

You can just place MAXMIX21.DSK and maxmix.bat in the maxz80 directory and
run maxmix.bat from the command prompt in the maxz80 directory. This will
set-up MAXMIX21.DSK as your C: drive in myz80.

4. Dan Wallace has provided us with a manual for the tools that came with
this compiler. He painstakingly transcribed the entire tools section of his
copy of the manual into a Word document which I converted to the pdf that is
included in this zip file.

Bill Buckels <bbuckels(a)mts.net>
December 2008

From: Kelli Halliburton on
Bill Buckels wrote:

> "Andreas Gerlich" <ag(a)theseus.mathematik.uni-ulm.de> wrote in message
>> In this document there is a reference to the "Reference Manual".
>> Have you also this important dokument? I can not use it without
>> this manual!!
>
> Why? It is mostly library functions. Have you tried to use it?
>
> And specifically what problems did you encounter.
>
> I don't have it. It is 450 pages long and Dan doesn't have free
> access to a photocopier. We talked about him copying it and me
> scanning it and creating pdf's but he is halfway to the equator and I
> am halfway to the North Pole and we live in different countries with
> expensive postage in between.
>
> Also there is time involved. I would like to hear your detailed
> rationale as to why you need this document specifically.
>
> The scientist often does not need the references to find the paper
> useful, the fisherman does not need a map of the lake to fish by the
> shore and the child does not need all the games to use the gaming
> console.
>
> Why then can't Andreas use this compiler?
>
> I remember that you said the same thing about Aztec C....

If I had to guess, I would say that Andreas does not know the C
standard library functions, nor how to use the linker and the make
utility. Also, there may be discrepancies between K&R C and ANSI C that
Andreas is not familiar with. I believe Aztec C uses K&R syntax. I don't
know about Mix C -- but if it is a newer compiler, written as a retro
project, it might use ANSI syntax.

Andreas might be better off with a generic book on learning C, which
would probably cover ANSI C, and then try to pick up a copy of "The C
Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie, for the older syntax.

But as long as there are help files of some sort for the linker and make
utility, that should be enough. The help screen available by typing the
command with -h is usually not sufficient for proficiency.
From: Bill Buckels on

"Kelli Halliburton" <kelli217(a)gmail.corn.invalid> wrote in message
>If I had to guess, I would say that Andreas does not know the C standard
>library functions, nor how to use the linker and the make utility.

Hey Kelli!

ROFLMAO

look here...

http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/users/ag/yaze-ag/

I do love the rest of your email. It brought tears to my eyes. Honestly!

>Andreas might be better off with a generic book on learning C

<g> I love it!

>pick up a copy of "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie,
>for the older syntax.

Go get 'im Tiger:)

>But as long as there are help files of some sort for the linker and make
>utility, that should be enough.

The entire portion of the manual describing the tools including the linker
and compiler was provided in pdf format.

http://www.cpm8680.com/mix/mix-c21-cpm-tools.pdf

AG's own documentation might be smaller:

http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/users/ag/yaze-ag/yaze-ag_doc.html

A hello world program was provided with the myz80 disk image for Z-System.
To build it:

CC HELLO.C
LINKER HELLO.MIX

To run it:

HELLO

Let me say that again... "HELLO???"

Like I said to AG I wonder what he is up-to... I do get the feeling that he
is challenging my legitimacy somewhat in providing C Compilers for download
for CP/M since I have put-up quite a number now, not just this one, and I am
not an authority. Maybe what he is saying is that from a okey-dokey
scientific or historical perspective none if this is notable, citable,
referenceable, etc. and has no place in this newsgroup.

It's probably time I took a look at Yaze-AG too... no sleight intended to
AG.

But I was having too much fun playing with my Apple (oops! that didn't
come-out right:)

And one needs to question the motivation of someone who is just having fun,
right?

Bill

From: Katzy on
Hello.

Kelli Halliburton wrote in message ...

>Andreas might be better off with a generic book on learning C, which
>would probably cover ANSI C, and then try to pick up a copy of "The C
>Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie, for the older syntax.

What I found in my diskettebox:

C TUTOR is a comprehensive course for the C programming language.

This is a two-disk product.
The first diskette contains the tutorial text and it is recommended that
you print it through the included batch file. The second diskette contains
the C source code for each of the examples included throughout the
tutorial.

A description of the various compilers and their differences is
included in a text file named COMPILER.DOC to help you get the source files
compiled.

They are:

1. Aztec C86 version 3.20e (Commercial)
2. Datalight C compiler - version 1.15
3. DeSmet C Compiler - version 2.51
4. Ecosoft C compiler - ver 3.11 & 3.13
5. Lattice C compiler - version 2.15
6. Lattice C compiler - version 3.00
7. Microsoft C compiler - version 3.0
8. MIX C compiler - version 1.0.0

You can temporarily download the two diskettes:

http://www.nostalgia8.nl/tijdelijk/pcsig577.zip
http://www.nostalgia8.nl/tijdelijk/pcsig578.zip

Greetz, Katzy.