From: Darklight on
John Bowling wrote:

> I had 11.2 32 bit installed and ran into a problem with ext4 (/ partition
> only) and as expected, the installation DVDs repair system wouldn't even
> try to fix it.
>
> So I did what I should have done - reinstalled (with 64 bit) and changed to
> ext3. I had kde 4.4 installed, but now the repository where it was is no
> longer, so I've got kde 4.3 and have a couple of problems:
>
> Even though I have set the default browser to Firefox, it always defaults to
> Konqueror except when I specifically start Firefox. I didn't have that
> problem with the 32 bit version with either kde 4.3 or 4.4.

you will find kde4.4.3 here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.2/
From: David Bolt on
On Thursday 10 Jun 2010 10:13, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Darklight painted this mural:

> John Bowling wrote:
>
>> I had 11.2 32 bit installed and ran into a problem with ext4 (/ partition
>> only) and as expected, the installation DVDs repair system wouldn't even
>> try to fix it.
>>
>> So I did what I should have done - reinstalled (with 64 bit) and changed to
>> ext3. I had kde 4.4 installed, but now the repository where it was is no
>> longer, so I've got kde 4.3 and have a couple of problems:
>
> Is both your root directory and home directory ext3.

Does it matter? On this system, my file systems are a mix of ext3 ( /
/usr /tmp /var/log ), xfs ( /home /local/photographs /local/DVD_temp
/local/ISOs /local/videos ), and ext4 ( /srv ). Oh, and /boot is
separate and uses ext2. So far, I've not had a single issue caused by
having a mix of different file systems.

> I had problems with
> 11.2 when i first installed it. 11.2 converted my root directory to ext4
> and left my home directory ext3.

That's probably because you didn't ask it to reformat /home .

> This caused me problems no end,

Why? What problems? How did you determine that the problems were
specifically due to having / as ext4 and /home as ext3? Are you certain
that it wasn't old settings being carried over that caused you
problems?

> did you
> format your home partition when you reinstalled the 64bit version.

Why would you do that, unless you want to remove the contents of /home
and start afresh. Or you want to change the underlying file system.

> Check
> you home directory and see what are 32bit packages compared to 64bit
> packages.

How on earth is looking at the contents of /home going to tell you if
you have 32bit or 64bit packages installed? I'll give you a hint, it
won't.

> Second as you went from 32 bit to 64 bit. I would suggest using a third
> party partition manager to do a secure delete then reinstall, os of
> choice.

Just formatting the partitions when performing a fresh install works
just as well. At least, it has done with all eleven of my machines when
I've performed fresh installs on them.

> For i have suffered from bleed through in the past.

This sounds more like an issue with doing a fresh install and not
reformatting / , and /var if it's on a separate partition.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3M7 32b

From: John Bowling on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:59:28 +0200, houghi wrote:

> Darklight wrote:
>> you will find kde4.4.3 here:
>>
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/
openSUSE_11.2/

> You see the word 'Factory' in there which means it can and most likely
> will break at some point. Thanks for testing the software, please don't
> forget to give feedback if you notice a problem.
>
> houghi

I did not have some of the problems with 4.4 that 4.3 has.

This post is to test the newserver 202.177.16.121 posting. It works well
to receive.

John

From: Darklight on
David Bolt wrote:

> On Thursday 10 Jun 2010 10:13, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
> Darklight painted this mural:
>
>> John Bowling wrote:
>>
>>> I had 11.2 32 bit installed and ran into a problem with ext4 (/ partition
>>> only) and as expected, the installation DVDs repair system wouldn't even
>>> try to fix it.
>>>
>>> So I did what I should have done - reinstalled (with 64 bit) and changed to
>>> ext3. I had kde 4.4 installed, but now the repository where it was is no
>>> longer, so I've got kde 4.3 and have a couple of problems:
>>
>> Is both your root directory and home directory ext3.
>
> Does it matter? On this system, my file systems are a mix of ext3 ( /
> /usr /tmp /var/log ), xfs ( /home /local/photographs /local/DVD_temp
> /local/ISOs /local/videos ), and ext4 ( /srv ). Oh, and /boot is
> separate and uses ext2. So far, I've not had a single issue caused by
> having a mix of different file systems.
>
>> I had problems with
>> 11.2 when i first installed it. 11.2 converted my root directory to ext4
>> and left my home directory ext3.
>
> That's probably because you didn't ask it to reformat /home .
>
>> This caused me problems no end,
>
> Why? What problems? How did you determine that the problems were
> specifically due to having / as ext4 and /home as ext3? Are you certain
> that it wasn't old settings being carried over that caused you
> problems?
>
>> did you
>> format your home partition when you reinstalled the 64bit version.
>
> Why would you do that, unless you want to remove the contents of /home
> and start afresh. Or you want to change the underlying file system.
>
>> Check
>> you home directory and see what are 32bit packages compared to 64bit
>> packages.
>
> How on earth is looking at the contents of /home going to tell you if
> you have 32bit or 64bit packages installed? I'll give you a hint, it
> won't.
>
>> Second as you went from 32 bit to 64 bit. I would suggest using a third
>> party partition manager to do a secure delete then reinstall, os of
>> choice.
>
> Just formatting the partitions when performing a fresh install works
> just as well. At least, it has done with all eleven of my machines when
> I've performed fresh installs on them.

if he left his home partition untouched it would have left packages from the 32bit
install which might be causing him problems.

for in the past i went from kde3.5 to kde4 and left my home partition untouched
it gave me no end of problems. when i went though my home directory i found packages
from kde3.5. reinstalled and formated the home partition and the problems were gone
checked my home directory and the packages which i listed were no longer there.

>> For i have suffered from bleed through in the past.
>
> This sounds more like an issue with doing a fresh install and not
> reformatting / , and /var if it's on a separate partition.

in the past when i done a fresh install i always had problems. not
so much with my present pc.

From: Ulick Magee on
Darklight wrote:

> if he left his home partition untouched it would have left packages from the 32bit
> install which might be causing him problems.

Not unless he compiled them himself and stupidly installed them into his
home partition.

No point having a separate /home partition if you're going to do that.

You can put stuff wherever you like and ignore how the filesystem
hierarchy is supposed to work, but sooner or later you will encounter a
problem if you do.

> for in the past i went from kde3.5 to kde4 and left my home partition untouched
> it gave me no end of problems. when i went though my home directory i found packages
> from kde3.5. reinstalled and formated the home partition and the problems were gone
> checked my home directory and the packages which i listed were no longer there.

Not my experience (including going from 32-bit 11.0 to 64-bit 11.1
without reformatting /home and with no problems) and I've never heard of
anyone else experiencing that either.

--

Ulick Magee

Free software and free formats for free information for free people.
Open Office for Windows/OSX/Linux: http://www.openoffice.org
openSUSE Linux: http://en.opensuse.org