From: David Bolt on
On Saturday 12 Jun 2010 08:48, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Darklight painted this mural:

> David Bolt wrote:

>> Just formatting the partitions when performing a fresh install works
>> just as well. At least, it has done with all eleven of my machines when
>> I've performed fresh installs on them.
>>
> if he left his home partition untouched it would have left packages from the 32bit
> install which might be causing him problems.

Just what packages do you believe would be installed in a users home
directory? You won't find packages installed into a users home
directory, not unless the user explicitly made rpm install them there,
or the built the binaries and then install into their home. If that is
the case, then they are advanced enough to be able to know that a
change of version and/or architecture would need the packages replacing
or rebuilding.

> for in the past i went from kde3.5 to kde4 and left my home partition untouched
> it gave me no end of problems.

I did the same for three of my systems, one to 11.0 and two to 11.1.
One of those running 11.1, and the one running 11.0, have been upgraded
to 11.2. None of them had problems with KDE3.5 and KDE4 being on the
same machine.

> when i went though my home directory i found packages
> from kde3.5.

Are you sure you aren't mistaking the presence of the directory .kde in
$HOME with packages being installed in $HOME? Packages do not get
installed in $HOME by default.

> reinstalled and formated the home partition and the problems were gone
> checked my home directory and the packages which i listed were no longer there.

I think it would be a good idea if you actually define what you mean by
packages. I get the distinct idea that what you are calling packages
are really the config files used by various applications.

>>> For i have suffered from bleed through in the past.
>>
>> This sounds more like an issue with doing a fresh install and not
>> reformatting / , and /var if it's on a separate partition.
>
> in the past when i done a fresh install i always had problems. not
> so much with my present pc.

Again, I've not had a problem with fresh except where I haven't made
sure the old rpm database is wiped. And that was caused by me ignoring
the warning about installing into a partition that wasn't going to be
reformatted. A very simple cure was to remove the directory
/var/lib/rpm and all its contents.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3M7 32b

From: Darklight on
David Bolt wrote:

> On Saturday 12 Jun 2010 08:48, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
> Darklight painted this mural:
>
>> David Bolt wrote:
>
>>> Just formatting the partitions when performing a fresh install works
>>> just as well. At least, it has done with all eleven of my machines when
>>> I've performed fresh installs on them.
>>>
>> if he left his home partition untouched it would have left packages from the 32bit
>> install which might be causing him problems.
>
> Just what packages do you believe would be installed in a users home
> directory? You won't find packages installed into a users home
> directory, not unless the user explicitly made rpm install them there,
> or the built the binaries and then install into their home. If that is
> the case, then they are advanced enough to be able to know that a
> change of version and/or architecture would need the packages replacing
> or rebuilding.
>
>> for in the past i went from kde3.5 to kde4 and left my home partition untouched
>> it gave me no end of problems.
>
> I did the same for three of my systems, one to 11.0 and two to 11.1.
> One of those running 11.1, and the one running 11.0, have been upgraded
> to 11.2. None of them had problems with KDE3.5 and KDE4 being on the
> same machine.
>
>> when i went though my home directory i found packages
>> from kde3.5.
>
> Are you sure you aren't mistaking the presence of the directory .kde in
> $HOME with packages being installed in $HOME? Packages do not get
> installed in $HOME by default.
>
>> reinstalled and formated the home partition and the problems were gone
>> checked my home directory and the packages which i listed were no longer there.
>
> I think it would be a good idea if you actually define what you mean by
> packages. I get the distinct idea that what you are calling packages
> are really the config files used by various applications.

your correct on that! my lack of wording