From: David Brown on
Rod Speed wrote:
> Daniel Prince wrote
>
>> In your opinion, what is the most reliable two-terabyte hard drive?
>
> It isnt possible to say that yet, they are too new to have much history yet.
>
> It is clear that Samsung has done a hell of a lot better than Seagate with say 1TB drive reliability.
>
>> Which hard drive makers have the best warranty service?
>
> Best in what respect ? Do you mean length of warranty or how easy it is to make a warranty claim ?

Surely the best warranty service is the one you never have to call?

From: Rod Speed on
David Brown wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Daniel Prince wrote

>>> In your opinion, what is the most reliable two-terabyte hard drive?

>> It isnt possible to say that yet, they are too new to have much history yet.

>> It is clear that Samsung has done a hell of a lot better than Seagate with say 1TB drive reliability.

>>> Which hard drive makers have the best warranty service?

>> Best in what respect ? Do you mean length of warranty or how easy it is to make a warranty claim ?

> Surely the best warranty service is the one you never have to call?

Nope. Thats the best reliability, stupid.

From: larry moe 'n curly on

Daniel Prince wrote:

> How easy it is to make a warranty claim and get a replacement drive.
> Which drive makers will cross ship a replacement drive? (Sometimes
> a drive will partially fail and it is possible to copy some data off
> the drive.)

I believe all of them cross ship, and I've had no problems with
Seagate, Hitachi, or Western Digital except for some long delays for
replacement with the latter company, several years ago.

OTOH Samsung US tech support was rather bad for me when I tried it in
mid 2008 and late 2009. On both occasions, Samsung's phone system
often connected me to the wrong departments, and when I did get to
speak with HD support I found that most of their employees were
clueless. And in my 2009 calls, two people in HD support said their
dept. didn't handle HD support and that I had to instead speak with
their laptop computer dept. They said that, even though I gave them
the model number of a 3.5" desktop drive and told them it was a 3.5"
desktop drive being used with a desktop computer. Then a person in
the laptop computer dept. said Samsung offered no HD support over the
phone at all (not true).

And then there's the matter of Samsung changing the terms of the
warranty. My older Samsung has a 5-year factory warranty, where
claims are made through the dealer (located 500 feet from home). I
learned that when I checked the warranty at Samsung's website in 2008,
but in 2009 it said I had to ship the drive to Samsung, and there was
no mention of the duration, only whether the warranty was in effect or
not (could have been a problem with extended warranties offered by
credit cards). Nobody at Samsung could give me the expiration date.
A few minutes ago, I checked the warranty again online, and now a
definite expiration date is listed, only it's two years shorter than
it should be. The moral is, always get the original warranty in
writing, and keep multiple copies of it.

If you have older hardware that supports SATA only up to 1.5 gigabytes/
second speed, it may not recognize current SATA drives, which are
configured by their manufacturers for 3.0Gb/s maximum. Not all slower
SATA ports have this problem -- my Dell Pentium 4 with Intel
motherboard chipset works fine, but my old VIA- and Nvidia-based
motherboards require drives set to 1.5Gb/s max. That's easy with
Seagate and WD drives, which simply require adding a jumper across a
pair of pins, but Hitachi and Samsung drives don't use jumpers for
this (even though Samsungs have jumper pins, and their tech info says
the pins work for this) but instead have to be set through a program
-- which won't work unless the computer recognizes the drives.

From: David Brown on
On 11/02/2010 06:31, Rod Speed wrote:
> David Brown wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Daniel Prince wrote

>>> It isnt possible to say that yet, they are too new to have much history yet.
>
>>> It is clear that Samsung has done a hell of a lot better than Seagate with say 1TB drive reliability.

>>> Best in what respect ? Do you mean length of warranty or how easy it is to make a warranty claim ?
>
>> Surely the best warranty service is the one you never have to call?
>
> Nope. Thats the best reliability, stupid.

I guess I should have included a smiley as a hint for the
humour-impaired :-)

From: Rod Speed on
David Brown wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> David Brown wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Surely the best warranty service is the one you never have to call?

>> Nope. Thats the best reliability, stupid.

> I guess I should have included a smiley as a hint for the humour-impaired :-)

Mine in spades, stupid.