From: larry moe 'n curly on

Ed Light wrote:

> On 2/10/2010 11:34 PM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:
>
> > I believe all of them cross ship, and I've had no problems with
> > Seagate, Hitachi, or Western Digital except for some long delays for
> > replacement with the latter company, several years ago.
>
> For warantee replacement, Western Digital sent me a recertified that was
> pretty old, and had experienced 52C. What's your experience in that regard?
>
> I'm hoping it's fixed up like new.

I don't know any details about the WD replacements, except none of
them failed quickly.

Did your recertified WD have its original SMART information, or did WD
erase it (I mean the SMART power-on hours, reallocated sectors count,
on/off cycle count, not the sectors)? The company told me that they
erased the SMART info, but they didn't recertify drives older than
27,000 hours.
From: Arno on
Ed Light <nobody(a)nobody.there> wrote:
> On 2/12/2010 3:32 AM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

>> I don't know any details about the WD replacements, except none of
>> them failed quickly.

> Mine had a small "Recertified" on the label.

>> Did your recertified WD have its original SMART information, or did WD
>> erase it (I mean the SMART power-on hours, reallocated sectors count,
>> on/off cycle count, not the sectors)?

> I'm looking in HD Sentinel but can't find an hour count in the SMART data.

Look for "Power On Time Count" (hours, attribute 9),

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Arno on
Ed Light <nobody(a)nobody.there> wrote:
> On 2/12/2010 4:12 PM, Ed Light wrote:

>>> Look for "Power On Time Count" (hours, attribute 9),
>>>
>>> Arno
>>
>> Thanks, Arno.
>>
>> Value: 99
>> Data: A zillion zeros and 3A0
>>
> I found "decimal data fields" (had to right-click on the data), so it's
> 928 hours. Probably that's the amount of hours I've run it.

So likely reset and they overlooked the temperature or made it
intentionally non-resettable.

Arno
From: chrisv on
Rod Speed wrote:

>It is clear that Samsung has done a hell of a lot better than Seagate

That's like saying that someone is smarter than George W Bush.