From: Daniel Prince on
In your opinion, what is the most reliable two-terabyte hard drive?
Which hard drive makers have the best warranty service? Thank you
in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
From: Rod Speed on
Daniel Prince wrote

> In your opinion, what is the most reliable two-terabyte hard drive?

It isnt possible to say that yet, they are too new to have much history yet.

It is clear that Samsung has done a hell of a lot better than Seagate with say 1TB drive reliability.

> Which hard drive makers have the best warranty service?

Best in what respect ? Do you mean length of warranty or how easy it is to make a warranty claim ?

From: Daniel Prince on
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Daniel Prince wrote
>
>> In your opinion, what is the most reliable two-terabyte hard drive?
>
>It isnt possible to say that yet, they are too new to have much history yet.
>
>It is clear that Samsung has done a hell of a lot better than Seagate with say 1TB drive reliability.
>
>> Which hard drive makers have the best warranty service?
>
>Best in what respect ? Do you mean length of warranty or how easy it is to make a warranty claim ?

How easy it is to make a warranty claim and get a replacement drive.
Which drive makers will cross ship a replacement drive? (Sometimes
a drive will partially fail and it is possible to copy some data off
the drive.)
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
From: Arno on
Daniel Prince <neutrino1(a)ca.rr.com> wrote:
> In your opinion, what is the most reliable two-terabyte hard drive?
> Which hard drive makers have the best warranty service? Thank you
> in advance for all replies.

Impossible to say. I would say the most reliable one is
one that is with another one in a RAID1. Apart from that,
these are consumer grade devices and up to 5% die per year.

There are some rumours about Seagate still having problems,
so maybe stay away from them.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Arno on
Daniel Prince <neutrino1(a)ca.rr.com> wrote:
> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>Daniel Prince wrote
>>
>>> In your opinion, what is the most reliable two-terabyte hard drive?
>>
>>It isnt possible to say that yet, they are too new to have much history yet.
>>
>>It is clear that Samsung has done a hell of a lot better than Seagate with say 1TB drive reliability.
>>
>>> Which hard drive makers have the best warranty service?
>>
>>Best in what respect ? Do you mean length of warranty or how easy it is to make a warranty claim ?
>>
> How easy it is to make a warranty claim and get a replacement drive.
> Which drive makers will cross ship a replacement drive? (Sometimes
> a drive will partially fail and it is possible to copy some data off
> the drive.)

Depens on where you are. You may pay more in S/H and customs fees than
the drive is worth.

Arno