From: Mick on
Stefan Kiryazov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am doing a research about motivation in software development, the
> most efficient practices to motivate software engineers, their
> popularity, etc.
>
> As a part of the research, I am doing an online survey for software
> engineers and managers in software development. It takes just several
> minutes and filling it is a good opportunity to share your opinion
> about the motivation practices being used in the software industry
> today:
> http://ask.wizefish.com/en/MotivationSurvey.aspx
>
> Anyone who does the survey and leaves any contacts will be sent the
> results.
>
> Also, if someone is running a web site or blog dedicated to any aspect
> of software development we can do some link exchange.
>
> Regards,
> Stefan Kiryazov
Gotta pay the bills!
From: Anthony Williams on
Richard Cornford <Richard(a)litotes.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Feb 5, 11:19 am, Stefan Kiryazov wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am doing a research about motivation in software development,
>> the most efficient practices to motivate software engineers,
>> their popularity, etc.
>
> Strange question; the most efficient motivator of professionals is
> money, and money is very popular.

Whilst people like money, it's not necessary the most efficient
motivator. Developers also like interesting, challenging, varied work,
work with new technologies, flexible hours, freedom to do what they feel
is technically best without being hampered by management dictat and many
other things.

Anthony
--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
just::thread C++0x thread library http://www.stdthread.co.uk
From: JR on
On Feb 5, 9:19 am, Stefan Kiryazov <stefan.kirya...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am doing a research about motivation in software development, the
> most efficient practices to motivate software engineers, their
> popularity, etc.
>
> As a part of the research, I am doing an online survey for software
> engineers and managers in software development. It takes just several
> minutes and filling it is a good opportunity to share your opinion
> about the motivation practices being used in the software industry
> today:http://ask.wizefish.com/en/MotivationSurvey.aspx
>
> Anyone who does the survey and leaves any contacts will be sent the
> results.
>
> Also, if someone is running a web site or blog dedicated to any aspect
> of software development we can do some link exchange.

I suggest reading about the "Two Factor theory of emotion", also known
as "Herzberg's motivation-hygiene theory". I studied this concept in
1984 for the first time, and I think it is still acceptable today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-factor_theory

Cheers,
JR
From: John B. Matthews on
In article
<dabc5b6d-f342-466a-a4b6-8e7034956bd4(a)a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Stefan Kiryazov <stefan.kiryazov(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I am doing a research about motivation in software development, the
> most efficient practices to motivate software engineers, their
> popularity, etc.

[...]

This reminds me of "Drescher and the toaster":

A disciple of another sect once came to Drescher as he was
eating his morning meal.

“I would like to give you this personality test”, said the
outsider, “because I want you to be happy.”

Drescher took the paper that was offered him and put it into
the toaster, saying: “I wish the toaster to be happy, too.”

<http://catb.org/jargon/html/koans.html#id3141308>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com
From: John Bode on
On Feb 5, 6:39 am, Anthony Williams <anthony....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard Cornford <Rich...(a)litotes.demon.co.uk> writes:
> > On Feb 5, 11:19 am, Stefan Kiryazov wrote:
> >> Hi all,
>
> >> I am doing a research about motivation in software development,
> >> the most efficient practices to motivate software engineers,
> >> their popularity, etc.
>
> > Strange question; the most efficient motivator of professionals is
> > money, and money is very popular.
>
> Whilst people like money, it's not necessary the most efficient
> motivator. Developers also like interesting, challenging, varied work,
> work with new technologies, flexible hours, freedom to do what they feel
> is technically best without being hampered by management dictat and many
> other things.

This is definitely true for me; I will trade some pay for more
interesting work or a better working environment, at least up to a
point.