From: Tom Anderson on
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> That said, by definition professionals are, to some extent, in it for
> the money. If they were not, they would be amateurs as I am now.

Interesting. Do you think that all the non-financial rewards that are
available (if rarely!) in industry are available in academia or on
volunteer projects?

Something i find quite enjoyable, having moved from academia into
industry, is the sense that a project is actually doing something
valuable, something a business thinks is worth money. Work in academia and
the FOSS community can be very interesting, but a lot of it feels like
farting about.

tom

--
I sometimes think that the IETF is one of the crown jewels in all of
western civilization. -- Tim O'Reilly
From: Jedrin on

If money was the only motivating factor wouldn't we all want to be
wall street bankers instead ?
From: Malcolm Dew-Jones on
Jedrin (jrubiando(a)gmail.com) wrote:

: If money was the only motivating factor wouldn't we all want to be
: wall street bankers instead ?

Perhaps we all do - but until we get that chance...
From: Roedy Green on
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 04:23:41 -0800 (PST), Richard Cornford
<Richard(a)litotes.demon.co.uk> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

>Strange question; the most efficient motivator of professionals is
>money, and money is very popular.

That may be a motivator for taking a job, but I suspect is fairly far
down the list for leaving a job.

Leaving motivations might include:

personality conflict
boredom
too much pressure

Personally, the opportunity to do something I had never done before
was always the top priority. Employers usually want people who have
extensive specific experience.

In hiring, my main interest was loyalty. Employees don't get really
useful until after the first year. I don't expect them to hit the
ground running. I anticipate investing considerable effort in training
them. I looked for reasons why they would likely want to stay.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

You can�t have great software without a great team, and most software teams behave like dysfunctional families.
~ Jim McCarthy
From: Hans-Georg Michna on
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 04:23:41 -0800 (PST), Richard Cornford wrote:

>Strange question; the most efficient motivator of professionals is
>money, and money is very popular.

Don't overestimate money. My motto, to give just one example, is
that I work because it's interesting and fun, and only
secondarily I make sure I get paid properly.

Of course I need to make a living, so money is never entirely
uninteresting. I gladly admit that.

Hans-Georg