From: Hillbilly on
Which is why I rarely participate as they are ALWAYS FUBAR and BIASED.

From: Nick Keighley on

From: James Kanze on
On Feb 5, 12:23 pm, Richard Cornford <Rich...(a)litotes.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Feb 5, 11:19 am, Stefan Kiryazov wrote:

> > I am doing a research about motivation in software
> > development, the most efficient practices to motivate
> > software engineers, their popularity, etc.

> Strange question; the most efficient motivator of
> professionals is money, and money is very popular.

Yes and no. Obviously, money plays a role---some of us have
expensive habits, like eating regularly, that have to be paid
for. But it has its limits, and I've rarely seen money alone
motivate the best performance (in anything).

--
James Kanze
From: James Kanze on
On Feb 5, 12:39 pm, Anthony Williams <anthony....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard Cornford <Rich...(a)litotes.demon.co.uk> writes:
> > On Feb 5, 11:19 am, Stefan Kiryazov wrote:

> >> I am doing a research about motivation in software
> >> development, the most efficient practices to motivate
> >> software engineers, their popularity, etc.

> > Strange question; the most efficient motivator of
> > professionals is money, and money is very popular.

> Whilst people like money, it's not necessary the most
> efficient motivator. Developers also like interesting,
> challenging, varied work, work with new technologies, flexible
> hours, freedom to do what they feel is technically best
> without being hampered by management dictat and many other
> things.

Amongst other things. Two of the most important motivaters are
peer approval and admiration, and personal satisfaction with the
results.

--
James Kanze
From: James Kanze on
On Feb 5, 3:14 pm, Patricia Shanahan <p...(a)acm.org> wrote:

[...]
> That said, by definition professionals are, to some extent, in
> it for the money. If they were not, they would be amateurs as
> I am now. How that is balanced against interesting work,
> physical working conditions, status, etc. varies.

I'm not sure if the word "professional" has the same conotations
in English as it does in French, but from the French meaning, I
don't think you can be truely a "professional" if you're only in
it for the money. "Professional" implies being paid for what
you do, but it also implies a certain degree of personal
standards with regards to quality and such---a "professional"
will take pride in his work.

--
James Kanze