From: Arved Sandstrom on
Seebs wrote:
> On 2010-02-08, Arved Sandstrom <dcest61(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Seebs wrote:
>
>>> This strikes me as the polar opposite of an engineering mindset, which
>>> would be that a thing is what it is, and isn't what it isn't, regardless
>>> of any labels.
>
>> Insofar as competent and professional engineering societies set real
>> standards for qualifications and conduct to be able to use the title
>> "Engineer", and insofar as the vast majority of software developers have
>> nothing like this at all, I see no problem here.
>
> Membership in an organization is not the same thing as meeting the formal
> standards that would be required by such an organization if it existed.
>
> In short, if there exists a set of qualifications and conduct which would
> be necessary to be a member of an organization, and membership confers the
> title "engineer", then having that set of qualifications and conduct ought
> to confer the title *with or without* membership in the organization.
> Meanwhile, at least some members of any given organization will usually
> not actually meet the nominal or formalized standard in one way or another.

At the moment those standards do not exist for the majority of software
developers. So it's pretty much a moot point.

If the standards did exist, how would you know that a person who claimed
a title actually deserved it, without having them go through a
certification process?

[ SNIP ]

AHS
From: Seebs on
On 2010-02-09, Arved Sandstrom <dcest61(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> At the moment those standards do not exist for the majority of software
> developers. So it's pretty much a moot point.

I am not convinced that they don't; formalization is not existance.

> If the standards did exist, how would you know that a person who claimed
> a title actually deserved it, without having them go through a
> certification process?

How would you know if there WERE a certification process? Answer: You
wouldn't.

It's not as though no one's ever tried it. We have a number of certification
processes. They consistently work, if what you want is to know that someone
once managed to memorize a bunch of stuff for a test. I have seen nothing
to suggest that any other field's "certification processes" are actually
substantially better than this. Certainly, they are extremely popular,
especially among people who have already obtained those certifications.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Arved Sandstrom on
Seebs wrote:
> On 2010-02-09, Arved Sandstrom <dcest61(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> At the moment those standards do not exist for the majority of software
>> developers. So it's pretty much a moot point.
>
> I am not convinced that they don't; formalization is not existance.
>
>> If the standards did exist, how would you know that a person who claimed
>> a title actually deserved it, without having them go through a
>> certification process?
>
> How would you know if there WERE a certification process? Answer: You
> wouldn't.

How would I, or you, not know? It's not like we are discussing Masonic
rites here.

I myself have chosen not to get any software development certifications,
except for one that I got from the technical campus of Dalhousie
University for a series of software development courses. It's not that I
consider many of the MS and Java etc etc certifications to be
individually useless - many are not - but lacking a larger professional
development framework to plug them into, and because the accountability
of software developers currently is risible, why bother?

> It's not as though no one's ever tried it. We have a number of certification
> processes. They consistently work, if what you want is to know that someone
> once managed to memorize a bunch of stuff for a test. I have seen nothing
> to suggest that any other field's "certification processes" are actually
> substantially better than this.

I can only comment on engineering (I am not one myself but I have a
diploma in engineering, and most of the credits for a baccalaureate in
engineering - I eventually decided to concentrate on a physics degree; I
am also reasonably familiar with how APENS, the Association of
Professional Engineers of Nova Scotia, does these things).

Engineering "certification" processes are considerably better and more
comprehensive than anything that most software developers are ever
exposed to. Starting with education - there's no requirement at all that
software developers have a relevant degree or associate degree, or
indeed any real SD training at all. Try that with prospective
professional engineeers.

It's not just entry-level certification that software developers lack.
It's code of conduct, professional education, duty to the client,
professional discipline and so forth. These are all standards. In order
for software "engineering" to really be engineering it has to adopt
similar standards.

Certainly, they are extremely popular,
> especially among people who have already obtained those certifications.
>
> -s

_What_ are extremely popular? Professional engineering accreditations or
software development certifications? I expect both are.

AHS
From: debra h on

From: Mike Duffy on
Roedy Green <see_website(a)mindprod.com.invalid> wrote in

> Leaving motivations might include:
>
> personality conflict
> boredom
> too much pressure

- Working hours
- Lack of access to training
- Lack of privacy (email snooping, sharing a desk with others.)

And don't forget work-related health problems or an unhealthy work
environment that management refuses to address. (Harassement, A/C
ventilation, lack of ergonomic furniture, employee security etc.)

Death is always the most compelling reason for not continuing to work.