From: Julie Bove on

"Colin Trunt" <colin(a)trunt.com> wrote in message

> "Colin Trunt" <colin(a)trunt.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Colin Trunt" <colin(a)trunt.com> wrote in message

>>> Why does it matter? For the value of your time that it takes you to
>>> figure it out you could go to WalMart and buy a better one. Nobody in
>>> the free world should be using a wired mouse or wired keyboard anymore.
>>> Get with the '90s!
>>>

>> Maybe so I just don't like paying more then I need or waste.
>> Like to have a go at fixing it.
>>
>> Also I imagine it is very very easy to lose a wireless mouse!!
>>
>> + how loneg do batteries last?
>

> Update, wel I took it apart and it you can see the outer covering
> of the wires near the mouse is broken exposing the inner wires,
> I managed to shirt that area inside the mouse.
> I didn't think I would ever get the mouse back togeather such that
> it worked (clicked) properly, it's a horrible design.
> Anyway when I tried it again I USB device nor recognised.
> So I think I better start looking for a new one!!
> It could be all the messing about broke the inner wires which might be
> fixable
> but I think I will give up because I really think I would be risking
> damaging
> my computer via the usb port.
>

> So I will have to find the most suitable one on the net and then go to
> the store to find it is out of stock :O)

I have a Dell Optical mouse and I love it!

From: Colin Trunt on

"Julie Bove" <juliebove(a)verizon.net> wrote in message

> "Colin Trunt" <colin(a)trunt.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Colin Trunt" <colin(a)trunt.com> wrote in message

>>> Why does it matter? For the value of your time that it takes you to
>>> figure it out you could go to WalMart and buy a better one. Nobody in
>>> the free world should be using a wired mouse or wired keyboard anymore.
>>> Get with the '90s!
>>>

>> Maybe so I just don't like paying more then I need or waste.
>> Like to have a go at fixing it.
>>
>> Also I imagine it is very very easy to lose a wireless mouse!!
>>
>> + how loneg do batteries last?
>
> I had a wireless mouse years ago. Hated the thing. Yes, I did lose it.
> A lot. Worse yet, my husband was constantly sticking something in front
> of the controller thingie with the antennae on it.

Yea I bet wehen you desperately need to find it it will be down the
back of the sofa or in the microwave so somewhere silly.
When I used to lose the TV remote control I was thinking it would be a good
ideea
to have a long 'tail' on it.

> I can't remember how long the batteries lasted. Maybe less than a year?

Not really a problem then.

From: Colin Trunt on

"baron" <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Colin Trunt Inscribed thus:

>>> Well I tested all the connections with my multimeter and there
>>> seems to be no break, could be intermittant though.
>>> It's a bit weird really, maybe a loose connection on the board?
>>
>> You obviously did not test them throughtly enough Colin ;)
>> Just talking to myself cos I tested them agian after I inspected the
>> wires again and became convinced one of them was broken.
>> On that test that wire did seem to be an open circuit (broken wire).
>> So I broke the wire fully, stripped the insulation, twisted wires
>> togeather, re-tested and success a buzz from my meter indicitating a
>> circuit!!
>> I pulled into USB port, no error message, and cursor moved!!
>>
>> I have put the mouse back togeather how and it works, although it now
>> seems all 'wrong' compared to the other much lighter and faster mouse
>> - lol. I think it wll take a while for my brain to re-adjust to the
>> dynamics of it again.
>>

>> I think I may have got a false positive before because you can lose
>> track of which connection you are testing if the connector flips over.
>>
>> What made me try again was because the symptoms of the fault matched
>> a breaking/broken wire, it did seem inconcievable it could have been a
>> chip as that would have been instant and permanent.
>> Also the curcuit board looked rock solid, further more even a short
>> circut burning something out seemed unlikely it's only 5V I believe,
>> plus no indication of a burning on the circuit board!!
>>

>> I may open it up agan to adjust the wires because the one I broke is
>> shorter then the other 4, but I will probably wait untill I have a
>> probelm with it.
>>
>> Only problen now is it seems so slow and sluggish compared to the
>> previous one (which seemed to sensitive at first!!).
>>

>> I guess I will guess used to it!!
>>
>> Saved myself a few quid!!
>
> Glad to hear you found the problem & fixed it. :-)

Yes I was pretty pleased because I had written the thing off but I just
thought I would
give it one more try because I could not believe anything inside the mouse
had magically failed,
especaiilly so when I found it needs no driver so it could not be software
either.

I have gotten used to the dynamics of the mouse again too now, so all is
well!

From: baron on
Colin Trunt Inscribed thus:

From: Baron on
Colin Trunt Inscribed thus:

> Well I did find it earlier and I think it's the same except for
> colours swapped around.
> http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Mice/Trust-Optical-Mouse/invt/0262971
>

> Can't go too far wrong at that price! Not wireless though.

Most of their mice use the same circuit board.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.