From: keithr on
Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I need to replace my scanner and inkjet printer with a new device. My major
> printing is accomplished with a laser printer, but I sometimes need to print
> photos and other colour stuff. I don't want to spend a great deal, given the
> life of these things. I've short listed the following units:
>
> Canon MX870
> Epson TX710
> Brother MFC5890CN
>
> The Canon appears to have the edge in print quality (according to published
> specs). If anyone has any suggestions, they would be welcome.

Our local post office has printers on special, mostly Canon and HP.
Could be worth checking your local one out.
From: David on
In article <86br2mFp4nU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
"Trevor Wilson" <trevor(a)rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

> I need to replace my scanner and inkjet printer with a new device. My major
> printing is accomplished with a laser printer, but I sometimes need to print
> photos and other colour stuff. I don't want to spend a great deal, given the
> life of these things. I've short listed the following units:
>
> Canon MX870
> Epson TX710
> Brother MFC5890CN
>
> The Canon appears to have the edge in print quality (according to published
> specs). If anyone has any suggestions, they would be welcome.

Canon is - forget the other two

Otherwise go HP 0 they are good too

David
From: Trevor Wilson on

"Trevor Wilson" <trevor(a)rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
>I need to replace my scanner and inkjet printer with a new device. My major
>printing is accomplished with a laser printer, but I sometimes need to
>print photos and other colour stuff. I don't want to spend a great deal,
>given the life of these things. I've short listed the following units:
>
> Canon MX870
> Epson TX710
> Brother MFC5890CN
>
> The Canon appears to have the edge in print quality (according to
> published specs). If anyone has any suggestions, they would be welcome.

**Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I went with the Canon MX870.
Impressive device. The scanning/copying function is very fast. Colour
printing (on plain paper) is impressively good and fast. Connectivity (Wired
and wireless LAN) is also good. All for $250.00. Gotta be happy with that.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

From: Trevor Wilson on

" Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF "
<""does.tholen.have.many.kook.outs\"@kangarooistan.com.au ."> wrote in
message news:4c046cc1$0$14138$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com...
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> "Trevor Wilson"<trevor(a)rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
>>> I need to replace my scanner and inkjet printer with a new device. My
>>> major
>>> printing is accomplished with a laser printer, but I sometimes need to
>>> print photos and other colour stuff. I don't want to spend a great deal,
>>> given the life of these things. I've short listed the following units:
>>>
>>> Canon MX870
>>> Epson TX710
>>> Brother MFC5890CN
>>>
>>> The Canon appears to have the edge in print quality (according to
>>> published specs). If anyone has any suggestions, they would be welcome.
>>
>> **Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I went with the Canon MX870.
>> Impressive device. The scanning/copying function is very fast. Colour
>> printing (on plain paper) is impressively good and fast. Connectivity
>> (Wired
>> and wireless LAN) is also good. All for $250.00. Gotta be happy with
>> that.
>
> How much are the consumables?

**About the same as the other brands (give or take a couple Bucks). About 18
Bucks for the small carts. No one seems to be forthcoming regarding number
of pages per cartridge, so I can't be certain of the cost per page. Frankly,
I don't care all that much, as my 16 year old(!) HP Laserjet 5MP is still
churning out text (which is the vast majority of my printing requirements)
at phenomenally low cost per page anyway (ca; $0.014/page). My only
complaint about the HP is that the damned thing not only refuses to break
down, but still prints with stunning clarity and resolution, even with
recycled cartridges. On plain paper, with text, no ink jet can compete.

That said, I'm pretty happy with my Canon. It seems ink jet have come quite
aways since I played with the first ink jet I ever saw. It was back in 1973
(ish). It cost a small fortune (ca: $2.5k) and used very high Voltages
behind the paper to accelerate the ink. The result was horrible, slow and
messy. My next sighting was in 1987 and with my first ink jet printer. It
was an IBM and printed on fancy clay coated paper. It was nice, but very
slow and very costly to operate. Drivers were, of course, almost
non-existent for the software at the time.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

From: SolomonW on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 07:49:16 GMT, David wrote:

> In article <86br2mFp4nU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> "Trevor Wilson" <trevor(a)rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I need to replace my scanner and inkjet printer with a new device. My major
>> printing is accomplished with a laser printer, but I sometimes need to print
>> photos and other colour stuff. I don't want to spend a great deal, given the
>> life of these things. I've short listed the following units:
>>
>> Canon MX870
>> Epson TX710
>> Brother MFC5890CN
>>
>> The Canon appears to have the edge in print quality (according to published
>> specs). If anyone has any suggestions, they would be welcome.
>
> Canon is - forget the other two
>
> Otherwise go HP 0 they are good too
>
> David

Looking quickly though Harvey Norman's collection I thought on
specifications that the HP multifunction printers were the best value.