From: 24ggirl on
My virus program is preventing me from using this tool.

From: 24ggirl on

From: 24ggirl on
What is this?

From: Elmo on
24ggirl wrote:
> Do you happen to know where I can look in my computer for the key code
> manually besides the sticker that's on there. Is it in the registry and if so
> how do I get to it and look at it myself?
>
> "24ggirl" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for this. I'll let you know if I need anything else. Appreciate it.

>>> Dells come with two product keys:
>>>
>>> -- a unique one that represents your license which can be found on your
>>> Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, which is probably on the side
>>> of your desktop PC
>>>
>>> -- and a generic one that is found on both the Dell-branded XP
>>> installation CD that may have come with your PC *and* on your hard drive
>>> if use a program like Belarc Advisor of Magical Jellybean Finder.
>>>
>>> If you reinstall XP on your Dell *and* use the Dell-branded installation
>>> CD, there is no need to enter a Product Key at all because of the
>>> System-Locked Preinstallation (SLP) method that is used.

You've been informed that the key in the registry may be different from
the one on your sticker. You can't find the key by running REGEDIT,
because it's encrypted.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/243/xp-find-your-windows-product-id-cd-key-code-in-the-registry/

--
Joe =o)
From: HeyBub on
24ggirl wrote:
> My virus program is preventing me from using this tool.

So, DISABLE the virus program!

Geeze, why do I have to think of everything...