From: Michael on
You need to repeat this a few more times to match how many times she's
already posted this.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Daave on
It doesn't seem like you read all of my post!

Dells have two types of Product Keys.

The generic Product Key (shared by thousands of other Dells) is the one
that is on your hard drive. If you intend to reinstall Windows and
choose to use a non-Dell XP installation CD, then that product key is of
no use to you. You would have to use the key that is on the COA sticker.
That key will *not* be on your hard drive currently.

However, if you were to reinstall Windows using a non-Dell XP
installation CD, then the key on your sticker will ultimately match the
one on the hard drive.

You cannot view the product key on the hard drive unless you use a
program like Belarc Advisor or Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder. Links:

http://www.belarc.com/

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

If you do not have malware on your PC and if your anti-malware program
is warning you that these programs contain malware, that would be a
false positive and you can ignore it. If you are unable to install
either program, then surely there is something wrong with your system.

This leads us to the next question:

What specifically is wrong with your system?

If you choose to reinstall Windows using a Dell-branded XP installation
CD (Hopefully you have one! Do you?), then you don't even NEED to enter
a Product Key.

Hopefully, this explanation has cleared this up for you.

From: Bruce Chambers on
24ggirl wrote:
> I'll ask you again, can you please tell me where I would look for the key
> code manually in my computer?

It is not stored anywhere on the hard drive in a plain text format,
unless you've deliberately typed it into a text file or Word document
and saved it.

It's stored in the registry, in an encrypted format. You cannot
simply read it; you need a tools such as Magic Jelly Finder of Belarc
Advisor to decrypt it for you.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Bruce Chambers on
24ggirl wrote:
> My virus program is preventing me from using this tool.

Then you need to get a better anti-virus program, one less prone to
false positives.

From: LD5SZRA on

HeyBub wrote:

> Geeze, why do I have to think of everything...

Because what else will you do if you don't take responsibility for
your self and for others? You have to be kept busy at all times
to protect young b0y5 and g1rl5 from predators like you.

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD5SZRA 2010.