From: 24ggirl on
I have this Dell desktop computer with Windows XP professional on there and
was just wondering if you can please tell me where I would look to find the
key code. I always wondered where it would be stored on a computer. Would
that be stored in the registry and if so how would I get to it? Thank you!
From: olfart on

"24ggirl" <24ggirl(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have this Dell desktop computer with Windows XP professional on there and
> was just wondering if you can please tell me where I would look to find
> the
> key code. I always wondered where it would be stored on a computer. Would
> that be stored in the registry and if so how would I get to it? Thank you!

There should be a sticker on the outside of the computer case showing the
key. or
download and install Belarc Advisor from
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and run it

From: Bob I on
Unless she installed with a generic OEM cd, Belarc will give the wrong key.

From: Daave on
24ggirl wrote:
> I have this Dell desktop computer with Windows XP professional on
> there and was just wondering if you can please tell me where I would
> look to find the key code. I always wondered where it would be stored
> on a computer. Would that be stored in the registry and if so how
> would I get to it? Thank you!

Dells come with two product keys:

-- a unique one that represents your license which can be found on your
Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, which is probably on the side
of your desktop PC

-- and a generic one that is found on both the Dell-branded XP
installation CD that may have come with your PC *and* on your hard drive
if use a program like Belarc Advisor of Magical Jellybean Finder.

If you reinstall XP on your Dell *and* use the Dell-branded installation
CD, there is no need to enter a Product Key at all because of the
System-Locked Preinstallation (SLP) method that is used.

From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I have this Dell desktop computer with Windows XP professional on there and
> was just wondering if you can please tell me where I would look to find the
> key code. I always wondered where it would be stored on a computer. Would
> that be stored in the registry and if so how would I get to it? Thank you!

Use Produkey:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Bernd