From: nospam on
In article <8aolilFas6U2(a)mid.individual.net>, Thomas T. Veldhouse
<veldy71(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Or just watch his speech on apple.com and he goes over it in his
> >> presentation
> >> from last week. One thing that is not true is that they did indeed know
> >> about
> >> the problem for more than 22 days [as of the time of his speech]. I have
> >> already seen reports [from before the speech] that an engineer [who was
> >> named,
> >> although I don't recall it] warned of the issue, but they seem to have
> >> dismissed it; I guess in favor of aesthetics.
> >
> > it was dismissed because it's bullshit. as you can see in the videos,
> > if you touch a weak spot on *any* phone, reception will drop. if that's
> > what you call 'knowing' then yes, because *all* phones have that issue,
> > as the videos you suggest to watch indicate.
>
> I suggested one video. But in point of fact, the iPhone 4 antenna is state of
> the art [it looks like a fractal design which is the way of the future micro
> antenna designs], but, they use the outer shell for conductance and then put a
> gap in that shell which placing your finger over it short circuits
> essentially. That is the real issue. It is not truly an internal antenna

right, it's an external antenna.

> and
> that is why they are giving away these nice little $30 pieces of poly.

no, it's because of a bunch of whiners.

> NO
> other phone has a "spot" that you can touch with the tip of your finger and
> cause reception go down, but all phones suffer when gripped.

they all do, and your sentence contradicts itself.

> Steve Jobs did a
> good job at slight of hand by failing to point out that just touching that
> spot clearly scene on the phone's shell will cause a significant signal quaity
> reduction.

he pointed it out quite clearly. watch it again.

> > they're free.
>
> NOW they are, but that is because they made a mistake in the design of making
> a single point that just needs to be touched by your skin to cause a
> significant drop in signal quality. It takes a GRIP on most, if not all other
> phones.

most people do grip their phones.

> >> it's no wonder so many people skipped it and thus they touch
> >> that sweet spot so conveniently placed right where a normal person touches
> >> the
> >> phone. They should have listened to that one upstanding engineer [who I am
> >> sure is now in trouble for going public with it or otherwise leaking it].
> >
> > he is not in trouble because that story was fabricated.
>
> Since I don't have a link and I don't feel like looking it up, I will take
> your word that the story is fabricated

no need to look it up. it's in the video *you* linked. like i said,
watch it again.

> [but I have a hard time believing that
> since I work with RF engineers myself and I KNOW they would not have missed it
> and, no offense to my collegues, but I am pretty sure that Apple's engineers
> are significantly higher grade than the people I work with [which are pretty
> damn good].

nothing is perfect. for most people in most conditions, it works
better. for some people in some conditions it's worse. everyone gets a
free case or they can return it if that is not enough.
From: nospam on
In article <4c472f24$0$22159$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

> The bumper/case solves the problem and that's great. But to claim that
> other handsets have the same problem is ludicrous.

they do. watch the various videos or look at the warnings in the user
manuals.
From: nospam on
In article <4c473036$0$22125$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

> Good article that may help nospam understand is at
> "http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/07/apples-antenna-problem-is-different/".

just one person's opinion. most people don't find it to be a problem in
actual use. those that do can return it.
From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
> On 21/07/10 9:29 AM, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
>> Yes, as I have said, it is top end technology. I would put a case on my
>> phone, so if I had an iPhone 4 I am sure I would be one of the 99.5% happy
>> customers.
>
> So you subscribe to the theory that every customer that doesn't complain
> to the manufacturer about a specific problem is happy?

That is an unhappy inference on your part. I am simply referring to the other
99.5% of customers who have NOT complained about the antenna.

> If only 0.1% told the manufacturer that they were happy would that mean
> that 99.9% are unhappy?

I think I just covered the answer to your question with my previous answer.

> The bumper/case solves the problem and that's great. But to claim that
> other handsets have the same problem is ludicrous.

I didn't claim other handsets have the same problem. I claimed that other
handsets have a signal problem when gripped in "normal" ways as shown in Steve
Jobs [and apparently other] videos, but the issue with the iPhone 4 is unique
due to the nature of it's antenna and the fact that simply touching one spot
on the case/antenna can cause a very significant signal loss and that deos NOT
happen with other phones (I suppose older ones with external antennas, but I
have a hunch touching the antenna would help, not hurt reception in that
case).

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.
From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <4c473036$0$22125$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
> <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Good article that may help nospam understand is at
>> "http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/07/apples-antenna-problem-is-different/".
>
> just one person's opinion. most people don't find it to be a problem in
> actual use. those that do can return it.

That wasn't the point you were making a post or two ago ... nice try.