From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:47:05 -0400, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>that's quite a drop to go unnoticed in your 'careful testing.'

Do try to be fair. If the difference between two adjacent bars is
less than the observed 12dB, then you won't see any change in bars.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:07:41 -0700, in
<qupj46ttf3gb82rkishr33u9srt9j6p3n4(a)4ax.com>, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:17:01 -0700, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>Update: I've now seen some change. Where I am right now the phone
>>shows -89 dBm lying on the table. When I hold it (in either hand), it
>>drops to -101 dBm.
>
>Cool. Finally some real numbers instead of useless number of bars.
>For those that want to play with numbers instead of bars, go into the
>"test mode" as documented here:
><http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=84953>
>
>That's a 12dB drop in signal level, which is signifigant, but nothing
>compared to the 24dB drop observed with the iPhone 4. Note that the
>signal level is half for every 3dB drop.

The reported signal level seems to have a granularity no better than
about 10 dBm, so the actual difference could be in the range of 5-15
dBm.

--
John

"We have met the enemy and he is us" -Pogo
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:20:02 -0700, in
<1o1k46d3hjb0a9i4q4qq88bacled0a2kgm(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:07:41 -0700, in
><qupj46ttf3gb82rkishr33u9srt9j6p3n4(a)4ax.com>, Jeff Liebermann
><jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:17:01 -0700, John Navas
>><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Update: I've now seen some change. Where I am right now the phone
>>>shows -89 dBm lying on the table. When I hold it (in either hand), it
>>>drops to -101 dBm.
>>
>>Cool. Finally some real numbers instead of useless number of bars.
>>For those that want to play with numbers instead of bars, go into the
>>"test mode" as documented here:
>><http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=84953>
>>
>>That's a 12dB drop in signal level, which is signifigant, but nothing
>>compared to the 24dB drop observed with the iPhone 4. Note that the
>>signal level is half for every 3dB drop.
>
>The reported signal level seems to have a granularity no better than
>about 10 dBm, so the actual difference could be in the range of 5-15
>dBm.

Note that the only significant and consistent difference I observed was
between holding the phone and not holding the phone -- unlike the iPhone
4, there was no significant difference holding the phone the several
ways I tried.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: Larry on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in news:230720100941289670%
nospam(a)nospam.invalid:

> actually it's more valid because if i can cause an effect where there's
> a strong signal, it can only be worse when it's weak.

But, to save face for the chief fanboi, you didn't make any phone calls
while holding it with both hands, did you?

The signal level dropped when you covered up the antenna slot.....But it
would still make a call if you had taken the time to call your iP4.

--
iPhone 4 is to cellular technology what the Titanic is to cruise ships.

Larry

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:17:01 -0700, in
<knmj469e7t65p2r9id5811nc3a1ghmli6g(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:45:15 -0700, in
><r2ej46hnk01uraa6k0rdl0enhkijnome26(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>I actually own one, have carefully tested it under low signal
>>conditions, and there is no reported drop in signal strength
>>(dBm & asu, not bars) no matter how I hold it with either hand.
>
>Update: I've now seen some change. Where I am right now the phone
>shows -89 dBm lying on the table. When I hold it (in either hand), it
>drops to -101 dBm. That appears to be the next possible value -- I've
>never seen an intermediate value. But there is no change depending on
>how I hold it (either hand) -- the usual value here is -101 dBm,
>sometimes jumping to -89 dBm or -109 dBm before returning to -101 dBm.
>This is on GSM ("E"GPRS indicated), not 3G, which may have been what
>I was measuring before.

2ND UPDATE:
I think I've now figured out what's going on with the myTouch 3G (HTC
Magic) -- the granularity I'm seeing corresponds to displayed signal
bars:
-63 dBm: 4 bars
-89 dBm: 3 bars
-101 dBm: 2 bars
-109 dBm: 1 bar
No other values displayed.
So much for accurate signal strength readings. [sigh]
This is with a 3G (W-CDMA) signal,
but I think it's the same with a GSM signal.
At the moment I'm getting:
4 bars: holding up the phone by just the top edge
3 bars: wrapping either hand around the phone
2 bars: smothering the "chin" at the bottom of the phone