From: nospam on
In article <r2ej46hnk01uraa6k0rdl0enhkijnome26(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> I actually own one, have carefully tested it under low signal
> conditions, and there is no reported drop in signal strength
> (dBm & asu, not bars) no matter how I hold it with either hand.

i was able to cause it to change by holding it wrong.
From: nospam on
In article <i2ch45$rd5$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Justin
<nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:

> > i was able to cause it to change by holding it wrong.
>
> Did holding it wrong involve a single finger touching it?

nobody holds a cellphone with a single finger so that's entirely moot.
i held it normally, like anyone would hold a cellphone.

a *lot* of phones require special procedures:
<http://dontholditwrong.tumblr.com/>
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:45:15 -0700, in
<r2ej46hnk01uraa6k0rdl0enhkijnome26(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>On 23 Jul 2010 13:28:36 GMT, in <8atjo4F6a7U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
>"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>In alt.cellular.verizon nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> bullshit.
>>>
>>> i was in a t-mobile store just the other day for an unrelated issue and
>>> they had the mytouch on display, so while i waited, i tried holding it
>>> in a normal manner and watched the signal strength meter drop.
>>
>>The entire scenario applies to low signal areas to begin with. That is the
>>premise behind the iPhone 4 issue. T-Mobile stores usually do NOT suffer from
>>low signal. I am not saying that you would have scene noticable signal
>>reduction with that phone, but I am not saying you wouldn't either. What I am
>>saying is that your test was completely invalid.
>
>I actually own one, have carefully tested it under low signal
>conditions, and there is no reported drop in signal strength
>(dBm & asu, not bars) no matter how I hold it with either hand.

Update: I've now seen some change. Where I am right now the phone
shows -89 dBm lying on the table. When I hold it (in either hand), it
drops to -101 dBm. That appears to be the next possible value -- I've
never seen an intermediate value. But there is no change depending on
how I hold it (either hand) -- the usual value here is -101 dBm,
sometimes jumping to -89 dBm or -109 dBm before returning to -101 dBm.
This is on GSM ("E"GPRS indicated), not 3G, which may have been what
I was measuring before.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: nospam on
In article <knmj469e7t65p2r9id5811nc3a1ghmli6g(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:45:15 -0700, in
> <r2ej46hnk01uraa6k0rdl0enhkijnome26(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> >I actually own one, have carefully tested it under low signal
> >conditions, and there is no reported drop in signal strength
> >(dBm & asu, not bars) no matter how I hold it with either hand.
>
> Update: I've now seen some change. Where I am right now the phone
> shows -89 dBm lying on the table. When I hold it (in either hand), it
> drops to -101 dBm.

that's quite a drop to go unnoticed in your 'careful testing.'
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:17:01 -0700, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>Update: I've now seen some change. Where I am right now the phone
>shows -89 dBm lying on the table. When I hold it (in either hand), it
>drops to -101 dBm.

Cool. Finally some real numbers instead of useless number of bars.
For those that want to play with numbers instead of bars, go into the
"test mode" as documented here:
<http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=84953>

That's a 12dB drop in signal level, which is signifigant, but nothing
compared to the 24dB drop observed with the iPhone 4. Note that the
signal level is half for every 3dB drop.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com