From: Aatu Koskensilta on
tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:

> Or maybe, "Informal mathematical statements are adequately
> expressed by formal sentences"? Help me out here.

There are usually numerous different ways of formalizing a given
informal mathematical statement which are not logically equivalent. So
we must have a qualifying clause saying something like "relative to the
relevant background theory". But what is the relevant background theory?
Something like this springs to mind:

T is the relevant background theory if all obvious formalizations of
the informal mathematical statement are equivalent according to T

But this is still a far cry from the Church-Turing thesis when it comes
to usability or level of trust one should place on the thesis. For
example, we should have some notion of what exactly are the obvious
formalizations of a given mathematical statement before the above
determines any theory at all. I for one have no idea how such a notion
could be mathematically defined.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta(a)xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"
From: Torkel Franzen on
tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu writes:

> Then how about, "All informal statements of ordinary mathematics are
> expressible by formal sentences in ZFC"?

The Church-Turing thesis only requires that for every function
computable by an algorithm, there is a Turing machine that computes
the same function. It is not required that the Turing machine embodies
the same algorithm. The above is a lot more problematic to make
precise. What is it we require of a formal sentence in ZFC if it is to
express a given informal statement of ordinary mathematics? In
practice, we recognize formalizations as adequate, but there are many
different ways of formalizing informal mathematical statements, and it
is far from clear how to characterize what counts as an adequate
formalization.
From: tchow on
In article <41fbf294$0$566$b45e6eb0(a)senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>, I wrote:
>Then how about, "All informal statements of ordinary mathematics are
>expressible by formal sentences in ZFC"?

Sorry, scratch that...that's not at all what I meant, because it sounds
like a statement about ZFC in particular, not about expressibility in
the language of set theory. Something like what Aatu Koskensilta said
is better. Or maybe, "Informal mathematical statements are adequately
expressed by formal sentences"? Help me out here.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
From: Aatu Koskensilta on
tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:

> I agree that it's far from clear how to characterize what counts as
> an adequate formalization. In fact, a large part of the point of
> articulating the thesis is to draw attention to this difficulty.

The problem with the thesis under consideration is that, unlike the
Church-Turing thesis, it doesn't equate a mathematically defined concept
with an informal one, it equates two equally informal and vague
concepts. Unless this can be remedied the level of usefullness must
remain at that of a seemingly good heuristic principle, instead of a
generally relied on thesis. Of course, I don't mean that one shouldn't
try to come up with a clear formulation of the thesis! In fact, such a
project seems to me to be very interesting, even if in the end we do not
get a clear generally accepted thesis but only a series of interesting
mathematical and conceptual results and analysis.

From: tchow on
In article <vcbr7k4j7it.fsf(a)beta19.sm.ltu.se>,
Torkel Franzen <torkel(a)sm.luth.se> wrote:
>tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu writes:
>> Then how about, "All informal statements of ordinary mathematics are
>> expressible by formal sentences in ZFC"?
[...]
>The above is a lot more problematic to make
>precise. What is it we require of a formal sentence in ZFC if it is to
>express a given informal statement of ordinary mathematics? In
>practice, we recognize formalizations as adequate, but there are many
>different ways of formalizing informal mathematical statements, and it
>is far from clear how to characterize what counts as an adequate
>formalization.

I agree that it's far from clear how to characterize what counts as
an adequate formalization. In fact, a large part of the point of
articulating the thesis is to draw attention to this difficulty.

But by saying that it's "problematic to make precise," are you *objecting*
to my project of formulating the thesis? The very nature of my proposed
thesis prevents it from being *mathematically* precise, just as the
Church-Turing thesis isn't *mathematically* precise. That doesn't mean
that it's too imprecise to formulate as a snappy thesis.