From: Torkel Franzen on
tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu writes:

> But by saying that it's "problematic to make precise," are you *objecting*
> to my project of formulating the thesis?

No, only that the thesis is very unclear, much more so than the
Church-Turing thesis.

From: tchow on
In article <ctgt5c$34t$1(a)phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>,
Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.koskensilta(a)xortec.fi> wrote:
>The problem with the thesis under consideration is that, unlike the
>Church-Turing thesis, it doesn't equate a mathematically defined concept
>with an informal one, it equates two equally informal and vague
>concepts.

O.K., let me try another version.

(*) Intension-preserving formalization of informal mathematical
statements is always possible.

Maybe this should be thought of not as a thesis but as a "thesis schema"?
Instances of the schema would be things like:

(+) Con("PA") is an intension-preserving formalization of "PA is
consistent."

Yeah, I know I'm abusing the term "schema" here, but I think you know
what I mean. Con("PA") is formal; "PA is consistent" is informal, so
like the Church-Turing thesis I'm equating---or at least making a tight
correspondence between---something formal and something informal.

Something like (+) is tacitly assumed by most people. Whenever we
draw philosophical conclusions from Goedel's 2nd theorem such as "The
consistency of PA cannot be proved using methods formalizable in PA"
we are tacitly assuming (+) and a whole host of statements like it.
This degree of acceptance seems to me to be very parallel to the
widespread acceptance of the Church-Turing thesis.

Failure to recognize that (+) is being assumed leads to all kinds of
confusions and misunderstandings. It seems to me that this warrants
the attempt to be more explicit about what is happening.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
From: |-|erc on
<tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu> wrote in >
> (*) Formal sentences (in PA or ZFC for example) adequately express
> their informal counterparts.
>
> Any candidates for a catchy name for (*)?

(*) The Conjecture Conjecture.

Good forward thinking, I tried to formalise something similar with

UTM(sentence, char) mod 27

There exists some t, UTM(t, true_sentence_number) that
gives all the true assertions (sentence UTM#) for some natural language.

In theory, there are very high level TMs that can parse a subset of questions in English
UTM(t100, "what is the capital of australia") = "canberra"

Herc

From: William Elliot on
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:

> (*) Formal sentences (in PA or ZFC for example) adequately express
> their informal counterparts.

A formal sentence could have an unintuitive or even incomprehensible
informal counterpart
From: William Elliot on
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, r.e.s. wrote:

> <tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu> wrote ...
>>
>> (*) Formal sentences (in PA or ZFC for example) adequately express
>> their informal counterparts.
>
> That reminds me of what Davis & Hersh say about
> Hilbert's "formalist premise" ...

It's the converse of Hilbert's thesis, that every informal mathematical
statement can be formalized.