From: Helene.Boucher on

Torkel Franzen wrote:
> Helene.Boucher(a)wanadoo.fr writes:
>
> > > So what do you take "intensionally equivalent" to mean?
>
> > That S1 and S2 mean the same thing.
>
> This is a traditional and very problematic concept in philosophy,
> but I think it's clear that it's too strong when we're talking about
> the intensional adequacy of formalizations. I at any rate would not
> claim about any formalization that it "means the same thing" as the
> informal mathematical statement it formalizes.

Then what do you take it to mean?

> > For every question a question in turn: do you believe that the
> > successor axiom is true?
>
> Sure, I am a fanatical believer in the truth of all the axioms of
> ZFC, PA, ACA, and so on.

On what grounds?

From: Torkel Franzen on
Helene.Boucher(a)wanadoo.fr writes:

> Then what do you take it to mean?

I have no answer. Repeating my earlier response to Tim: in practice,
we recognize formalizations as adequate, but there are many different
ways of formalizing informal mathematical statements, and it is far
from clear how to characterize what counts as an adequate
formalization.

> On what grounds?

How is this relevant?

From: Helene.Boucher on

Torkel Franzen wrote:
> Helene.Boucher(a)wanadoo.fr writes:
>
> > Then what do you take it to mean?
>
> I have no answer. Repeating my earlier response to Tim: in practice,
> we recognize formalizations as adequate, but there are many different
> ways of formalizing informal mathematical statements, and it is far
> from clear how to characterize what counts as an adequate
> formalization.

OK. I would say that one can be sure that two terms do not mean the
same thing if one can imagine a possible world in which their
extensions are different. So "human being" and "rational biped" do not
mean the same thing, because one can imagine a world in which there are
non-human rational bipeds. Similarly, two sentences are not
intensionally equivalent if there are worlds/environments in which one
is true and the other not. That is not to contradict anything you
have said, just to explain my position and what I was arguing for.

> > On what grounds?
>
> How is this relevant?

Relevant to what? Anyway, even if it is not relevant to anything
(although clearly it seems to touch on points of our discussion) I
would like to know, On what grounds?

From: Torkel Franzen on
Helene.Boucher(a)wanadoo.fr writes:

> I would say that one can be sure that two terms do not mean the
> same thing if one can imagine a possible world in which their
> extensions are different.

This is all highly problematic, and its relevance to the question of
adequate formalization is moot. Who would argue that some standard
formalization of the fundamental theorem of arithmetic in PA or in ZFC
is correct because one cannot imagine any possible world in which the
extensions of two terms (which terms?) are different?

> Relevant to what?

To the question posed by Tim Chow. To keep the discussion on track,
questions regarding the grounds for accepting this or that theory are
best pursued in other threads.

From: Helene.Boucher on

Torkel Franzen wrote:
> Helene.Boucher(a)wanadoo.fr writes:
>
> > I would say that one can be sure that two terms do not mean the
> > same thing if one can imagine a possible world in which their
> > extensions are different.
>
> This is all highly problematic, and its relevance to the question
of
> adequate formalization is moot. Who would argue that some standard
> formalization of the fundamental theorem of arithmetic in PA or in
ZFC
> is correct because one cannot imagine any possible world in which the
> extensions of two terms (which terms?) are different?

I don't know, who? On the other hand if one could show that S1, which
purported to be a correct formalization of the FTA, was not true under
the same conditions as FTA, then that would be good grounds for
rejecting that S1 is a correct formalization.

> > Relevant to what?
>
> To the question posed by Tim Chow. To keep the discussion on track,
> questions regarding the grounds for accepting this or that theory are
> best pursued in other threads.

I find that cowardly and, while technically correct, not in the spirit
of newsgroups. But fair enough, I have to sign off here anyway !