From: Howard Brazee on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 12:18:12 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>Are legal penalties which deny the country the productivity of such people
>to be thought of as Sound Law? (at times folks might need to be reminded
>that it was illegal in the United States of America to teach certain other
>humans how to read or for certain otherwise competent, enfranchised adults
>to get married... what part of 'illegal' is not understood?)
>
>There are some who believe that no matter how counterproductive the
>legislation is that once something is Law it is to be obeyed as Law, there
>are others who believe that upholding a Bad Law is worse than breaking it.
>Great social debates, upsets and changes arise from the clashings of these
>views.

There are all sorts of economically expensive laws. Occasionally we
have a repeal of prohibition, but usually they stick around and we pay
for the prisons and crime and paperwork and businesses moving
elsewhere, etc.

- James Madison
From: Anonymous on
In article <5j3lv5da39tu5go58jlc3cl68m812bi6lh(a)4ax.com>,
Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:
>On Fri, 21 May 2010 12:18:12 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:
>
>>Are legal penalties which deny the country the productivity of such people
>>to be thought of as Sound Law? (at times folks might need to be reminded
>>that it was illegal in the United States of America to teach certain other
>>humans how to read or for certain otherwise competent, enfranchised adults
>>to get married... what part of 'illegal' is not understood?)
>>
>>There are some who believe that no matter how counterproductive the
>>legislation is that once something is Law it is to be obeyed as Law, there
>>are others who believe that upholding a Bad Law is worse than breaking it.
>>Great social debates, upsets and changes arise from the clashings of these
>>views.
>
>There are all sorts of economically expensive laws.

Mr Brazee, I intentionally did not refer to economics for a reason; there
are things which have been called 'Bad Law' which have nothing to do with
economics.

Maintaining a society - something which Law is supposed, in part, to be
about - is a bit more complex than keeping track of even large sums, let
alone small change.

DD

From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 16:06:56 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>>>There are some who believe that no matter how counterproductive the
>>>legislation is that once something is Law it is to be obeyed as Law, there
>>>are others who believe that upholding a Bad Law is worse than breaking it.
>>>Great social debates, upsets and changes arise from the clashings of these
>>>views.
>>
>>There are all sorts of economically expensive laws.
>
>Mr Brazee, I intentionally did not refer to economics for a reason; there
>are things which have been called 'Bad Law' which have nothing to do with
>economics.

It's harder to come to agreement on what are 'Bad laws' with so many
definitions of "good" and "bad". Even though people argue about the
economic costs, at least we have numbers.

- James Madison
From: Anonymous on
In article <shalv553sherqlabhtdkskcu8efbom2nmc(a)4ax.com>,
Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:

>>>There are all sorts of economically expensive laws.
>>
>>Mr Brazee, I intentionally did not refer to economics for a reason; there
>>are things which have been called 'Bad Law' which have nothing to do with
>>economics.
>
>It's harder to come to agreement on what are 'Bad laws' with so many
>definitions of "good" and "bad".

Hey, if it were easy then *everyone* would have done it already!

>Even though people argue about the
>economic costs, at least we have numbers.

Punchline 87,355: 'The automobile from (Nation A) fininshed in second
place and the automobile from (Nation B) finished one place ahead of the
loser.'

DD