From: Eddie on
On 11 Oct, 15:15, Parvardigar <parvardi...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello
> I work for a small retail company. This company in 1999 bought
> Navision 2.01B. After the economic crash in 2000 the company became
> budget minded to survive. I am not the tech person. We have none. I am
> reading notes from that time, early 2000s.
>
> We were unable to upgrade, to invest in support, to buy
> 'enchancements'. In short we were stuck, and are stuck. We were able
> to work without any problems using Navision 2.01B in a Windows Server
> 2000 environment. Now we are obligated to upgrade Server 2000 by
> January 2010 as Microsoft will no longer support this OS.
>
> We simply cannot afford to upgrade Navision and all that that would
> entail. As everyone knows it is very hard times in California for
> small businesses. We want to keep thriving, and running. There are
> workers here who need their jobs. I say this because after payroll
> there is hardly any money left. We can make it, but, this forced
> upgrade would be catastrophic -unless there were options,
> alternatives.
>
> What would we have to do? What OS should we choose? Server 2003 Server
> 2008? There must be a method that would allow us to install Navision
> 2.01B on the appropriate Server. How would we do that?
>
> I'm looking at my former workers notes. She wrote out that Navision 2x
> can run on 2003 Server but we would have to 'upgrade the excutables'?
>
> I apologize for being so completely inexperience, and clueless. I need
> to collect useful information with possible upgrade scenarios. Surely
> in this economically compromized world there are companies running
> ancient versions of Navision of new Microsoft OS platforms.
>
> If we can somehow get our Navision 2x setup, working healthy, in an
> affordable fashion, on a current Microsoft OS -we can keep this
> business running.
>
> Thanks for any support, insight.
> John Marshall

Assuming your network is behind a firewall and you have anti-virus
etc., don't worry about the server. I am still running an NT4 Domain,
Exchange 5.5 and Windows XP clients (long story) and have had ZERO
problems.

I am running Navision 3.7 on a Windows 2000 cluster and couldn't care
less about whether the server is supported or not by Microsoft. As
long as you don't make any changes to the server, it will carry on
running, they don't stop working just because Microsoft don't support
them ;)

Get yourself some third-party support from a Microsoft reseller when
you can afford it, in the meantime, don't make any changes or install
any applications on your server and you'll be fine for quite a long
time with Windows 2000.
From: Parvardigar on
On Oct 14, 2:57 am, Eddie <eddie_w...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 Oct, 15:15, Parvardigar <parvardi...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello
> > I work for a small retail company. This company in 1999 bought
> > Navision 2.01B. After the economic crash in 2000 the company became
> > budget minded to survive. I am not the tech person. We have none. I am
> > reading notes from that time, early 2000s.
>
> > We were unable to upgrade, to invest in support, to buy
> > 'enchancements'. In short we were stuck, and are stuck. We were able
> > to work without any problems using Navision 2.01B in a Windows Server
> > 2000 environment. Now we are obligated to upgrade Server 2000 by
> > January 2010 as Microsoft will no longer support this OS.
>
> > We simply cannot afford to upgrade Navision and all that that would
> > entail. As everyone knows it is very hard times in California for
> > small businesses. We want to keep thriving, and running. There are
> > workers here who need their jobs. I say this because after payroll
> > there is hardly any money left. We can make it, but, this forced
> > upgrade would be catastrophic -unless there were options,
> > alternatives.
>
> > What would we have to do? What OS should we choose? Server 2003 Server
> > 2008? There must be a method that would allow us to install Navision
> > 2.01B on the appropriate Server. How would we do that?
>
> > I'm looking at my former workers notes. She wrote out that Navision 2x
> > can run on 2003 Server but we would have to 'upgrade the excutables'?
>
> > I apologize for being so completely inexperience, and clueless. I need
> > to collect useful information with possible upgrade scenarios. Surely
> > in this economically compromized world there are companies running
> > ancient versions of Navision of new Microsoft OS platforms.
>
> > If we can somehow get our Navision 2x setup, working healthy, in an
> > affordable fashion, on a current Microsoft OS -we can keep this
> > business running.
>
> > Thanks for any support, insight.
> > John Marshall
>
> Assuming your network is behind a firewall and you have anti-virus
> etc., don't worry about the server.  I am still running an NT4 Domain,
> Exchange 5.5 and Windows XP clients (long story) and have had ZERO
> problems.
>
> I am running Navision 3.7 on a Windows 2000 cluster and couldn't care
> less about whether the server is supported or not by Microsoft.  As
> long as you don't make any changes to the server, it will carry on
> running, they don't stop working just because Microsoft don't support
> them ;)
>
> Get yourself some third-party support from a Microsoft reseller when
> you can afford it, in the meantime, don't make any changes or install
> any applications on your server and you'll be fine for quite a long
> time with Windows 2000.- Hide quoted text -

I really appreciate the comments. We use Navision in house ; and use
Navision through Citrix Term Server for our workers in Europe to
access their Navision accounts, on our Server. I agree to keeping
Windows Server 2000 and letting go any serious considerations to
upgrade the Server. That is not my decision. I have to collect useful
information ; and present to management all options. Management feels
inclined to follow Microsoft's upgrade policies. However, that is
becoming extremely unrealistic.
From: Parvardigar on
On Oct 14, 6:55 am, Parvardigar <parvardi...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > them ;)
>
> > Get yourself some third-party support from a Microsoft reseller when
> > you can afford it, in the meantime, don't make any changes or install
> > any applications on your server and you'll be fine for quite a long
> > time with Windows 2000.- Hide quoted text -

> I really appreciate the comments. We use Navision in house ; and use
> Navision through Citrix Term Server for our workers in Europe to
> access their Navision accounts, on our Server.  I agree to keeping
> Windows Server 2000 and letting go any serious considerations to
> upgrade the Server. That is not my decision. I have to collect useful
> information ; and present to management all options.  Management feels
> inclined to follow Microsoft's upgrade policies. However, that is
> becoming extremely unrealistic.- Hide quoted text -

I shared your comments with the only person who was directly involved
back in 2003. Here's my translation from that conversation:
Hello

The person who has very loose information on our Navision story gave
me his notes from 2003.
The company ended Navision tech support in 2002.
They were given opportunities to buy 'support plans' with retractive
fees. 2003
They were given opportunities to purchase the 'enchancements'. 2003.
The costs were prohibited.
They were encouraged to upgrade Navision.
And this is how the accountant explained it. All these factors stated
above were fully discussed in 2003.
The company was unable to move forward on any options because they had
spent a very large sum of money in 1999-2001 on (and my terms and
language may be inaccurate) 'Customized commission reports and several
other reports'.

As the Navision representatives back then (Aston Tate) explained it
there would be no strait forward easy upgrade of Navision without
'rewritting the code, without a series of procedures.' The quotes are
my language from what the accountant had stated. He went on to say
that if we had a native Navision without the customizations we could
have proceeded our upgrades back in 2003.
From: Peter D. J�rgensen on

"Parvardigar" wrote

> and use Navision through Citrix Term Server for our workers in Europe

As I wrote in another thread, then the usage of Citrix on the Windows 2000
server could be an issue. I expect you are using a different server as
Citrix server? Or atleast are using a fully updated VPN solution to provide
the connection?

PS: Please reduce your quoting, thanks :-)

/Peter

From: Parvardigar on
On Oct 16, 1:18 am, "Peter D. Jørgensen"
<pdj1...(a)hotKILLSPAMMERSmail.com> wrote:
> "Parvardigar" wrote
>
> > and use Navision through Citrix Term Server for our workers in Europe
>
> As I wrote in another thread, then the usage of Citrix on the Windows 2000
> server could be an issue. I expect you are using a different server as
> Citrix server? Or atleast are using a fully updated VPN solution to provide
> the connection?
>
> PS: Please reduce your quoting, thanks :-)
>
> /Peter

Two Servers. 1. Domain Controller. 2. Term Server / Citrix Metaframe.
Europe logs in with a Citrix Session accessing Navision on the DC.

I'm certain Microsoft Server 2008 is not an option. That is Vista
architecture. There may be hope that Navision 2.01B can run on
Microsoft Server 2003.
John
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3