From: Parvardigar on
Hello
I work for a small retail company. This company in 1999 bought
Navision 2.01B. After the economic crash in 2000 the company became
budget minded to survive. I am not the tech person. We have none. I am
reading notes from that time, early 2000s.

We were unable to upgrade, to invest in support, to buy
'enchancements'. In short we were stuck, and are stuck. We were able
to work without any problems using Navision 2.01B in a Windows Server
2000 environment. Now we are obligated to upgrade Server 2000 by
January 2010 as Microsoft will no longer support this OS.

We simply cannot afford to upgrade Navision and all that that would
entail. As everyone knows it is very hard times in California for
small businesses. We want to keep thriving, and running. There are
workers here who need their jobs. I say this because after payroll
there is hardly any money left. We can make it, but, this forced
upgrade would be catastrophic -unless there were options,
alternatives.

What would we have to do? What OS should we choose? Server 2003 Server
2008? There must be a method that would allow us to install Navision
2.01B on the appropriate Server. How would we do that?

I'm looking at my former workers notes. She wrote out that Navision 2x
can run on 2003 Server but we would have to 'upgrade the excutables'?

I apologize for being so completely inexperience, and clueless. I need
to collect useful information with possible upgrade scenarios. Surely
in this economically compromized world there are companies running
ancient versions of Navision of new Microsoft OS platforms.

If we can somehow get our Navision 2x setup, working healthy, in an
affordable fashion, on a current Microsoft OS -we can keep this
business running.

Thanks for any support, insight.
John Marshall

From: Peter D. J�rgensen on
Why is it more important to have Microsoft to support your server OS than to
support your ERP solution?
The support for Financials 2.01b stopped years ago...

/Peter

From: Savatage on
if it runs on 2000 leave it be. No "forced" reason to change it.

From: Parvardigar on
On Oct 12, 9:00 am, Savatage <savatag...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> if it runs on 2000 leave it be.  No "forced" reason to change it.
>

> "Peter D. Jørgensen" wrote:
> > Why is it more important to have Microsoft to support your server OS than to
> > support your ERP solution?
> > The support for Financials 2.01b stopped years ago...
>
> > /Peter- Hide quoted text -

Microsoft will phase out support of Windows Server 2000 at the end of
January 2010.
If the company postpones 'upgrading' we will be without patches and
updates.
Running Server 2000 without protection would leave the company
exploitable.
From: Peter D. J�rgensen on
>If the company postpones 'upgrading' we will be without patches and
>updates.
>Running Server 2000 without protection would leave the company
>exploitable.

Are you using the Windows 2000 server as a WebServer or Terminal Server or
VPN server? Otherwise I don't see how your server is "exploitable".

I agree that your client pc's should be protected and always fully updated
if they are used for web browsing or e-mail. You should be able to use
Windows XP or XP-mode in Windows 7, so I don't quite see the problem there
either.

/Peter

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3