From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 02/02/2010 14:39, in article hk9dfh$d3b$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
"Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote:

> "Tom Ginkel" <tginkel(a)mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> I'm wowed by the neo speakers in my bass rig...light and loud.
>>
>> Does somebody make a subwoofer, preferably powered, that takes advantage
>> of neos light weight?
>
> I've heard that neodymium can permanently lose it's field strength if it's
> overheated. Anyone ever experience that?

Any magnet permanently loses it's field strength if heated beyond it's Curie
temperature.

The Curie point of iron is 768�C, the Curie point of Neodymium magnets
depends on the exact alloy, but is said to be around 310�C. However,
Neodymium magnets are also said to start losing significant field strength
at temperatures around 150�C.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: PeterD on
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:39:47 -0500, "Sean Conolly"
<sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> wrote:

>"Tom Ginkel" <tginkel(a)mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> I'm wowed by the neo speakers in my bass rig...light and loud.
>>
>> Does somebody make a subwoofer, preferably powered, that takes advantage
>> of neos light weight?
>
>I've heard that neodymium can permanently lose it's field strength if it's
>overheated. Anyone ever experience that?
>
>Sean

Many magnets will do that... The overheating must be significant
however.
From: Phildo on

"Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
> An the NdFeB magnets are not that new either,
> they were invented in 1982.

They were called Rare Earth magnets back then and I was lucky enough to work
with them close up through a summer job in the lab at a company called SG
Magnets.

Phildo

From: Ron on
On 11/02/2010 08:46, Phildo wrote:
> "Joe Kotroczo"<kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
>> An the NdFeB magnets are not that new either,
>> they were invented in 1982.
>
> They were called Rare Earth magnets back then and I was lucky enough to work
> with them close up through a summer job in the lab at a company called SG
> Magnets.
>
> Phildo

You don't ought to get too close to them there rare earth magnets young
Philip, they disorientate all your little swimmers and make you impotent ;)

Ron
From: Phildo on

"Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
> On 11/02/2010 08:46, Phildo wrote:
>> "Joe Kotroczo"<kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
>>> An the NdFeB magnets are not that new either,
>>> they were invented in 1982.
>>
>> They were called Rare Earth magnets back then and I was lucky enough to
>> work
>> with them close up through a summer job in the lab at a company called SG
>> Magnets.
>>
>> Phildo
>>

> You don't ought to get too close to them there rare earth magnets young
> Philip, they disorientate all your little swimmers and make you impotent
> ;)

Oh dear, I knew I shouldn't have mounted all those samples ;-(

Phildo