From: me on
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:44:14 -0700, "Bill in Co."
<not_really_here(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>me(a)privacy.net wrote:

>>> What is the make and model?
>>>
>> Medion E1210
>>
>>> Are you saying that Windows won't boot? Or that the PC won't boot? (That
>>> is, you are unable even to access the BIOS?)
>>

>> Windows won't boot. A file is missing in "System" folder.
>>>
>>> Is there a problem with the battery? Is there an AC adapter you can use?
>>>
>> No

>>> Was this from the official documentation?
>>
>> It is from the original setup of Windows

>>> If those are the instructions, that is the only option. You will need to
>>> attach an external optical drive and configure the BIOS to boot off of
>>> it. This information should be in the documentation. If you can't find
>>> it, we should be able to guide you.

>>> Probably not if the manufacturer supplied a CD.
>>>
>>> Speaking of...
>>
>> No. I only had a quick look but I believe that it is a bootable CD
>> that will allow me to access a recovery partition.
>
>Why would a CD be needed for a recovery partition on the HD? You should be
>able to access the recovery partition directly at bootup by entering the
>proper key sequence. Like for a Dell, it's F11 or Ctrl-F11, as I recall.

There was no such indication from within the BIOS. There was a
partition called Recovery but I couldn't see it untill the recovery
disk ran in the external player.

Initialy I went for a repair but the original problem was still there
- IE and some others would not load but created shortcuts instead..

I had to resort to a fresh install.

Colin
From: Jim on
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:13:13 +0000, <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:37:43 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>>me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>>> A friend has brought me his XP netbook which will not boot.
>>
>>What is the make and model?
>>
>Medion E1210
>
>>Are you saying that Windows won't boot? Or that the PC won't boot? (That
>>is, you are unable even to access the BIOS?)
>

>Windows won't boot. A file is missing in "System" folder.

What is the file name ?

From: Bill in Co. on
me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:44:14 -0700, "Bill in Co."
> <not_really_here(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> me(a)privacy.net wrote:

>>> Medion E1210

>>> Windows won't boot. A file is missing in "System" folder.

>>> No

>>> It is from the original setup of Windows

>>> No. I only had a quick look but I believe that it is a bootable CD
>>> that will allow me to access a recovery partition.
>>
>> Why would a CD be needed for a recovery partition on the HD? You should
>> be
>> able to access the recovery partition directly at bootup by entering the
>> proper key sequence. Like for a Dell, it's F11 or Ctrl-F11, as I
>> recall.
>>

> There was no such indication from within the BIOS. There was a
> partition called Recovery but I couldn't see it untill the recovery
> disk ran in the external player.

There won't be any such indication. You have to know which keys to press
at bootup ahead of time to even see it.

From: me on
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:14:34 +0000, Jim <bojimbo261(a)aol.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:13:13 +0000, <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>>>What is the make and model?
>>>
>>Medion E1210
>>
>>>Are you saying that Windows won't boot? Or that the PC won't boot? (That
>>>is, you are unable even to access the BIOS?)
>>

>>Windows won't boot. A file is missing in "System" folder.
>

>What is the file name ?

None specified. Only the system folder was named. I have done a fresh
install but the drivers are missing. I shall try to speak to Medion
tomorrow.

From: Jose on
On Dec 29, 6:50 pm, <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:14:34 +0000, Jim <bojimbo...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> >>Medion E1210

> >>Windows won't boot. A file is missing in "System" folder.
>
> >What is the file name ?
>
> None specified.  Only the system folder was named. I have done a fresh
> install but the drivers are missing.  I shall try to speak to Medion
> tomorrow.

> >>No

> >>It is from the original setup of Windows

> >>No.  I only had a quick look but I believe that it is a bootable CD
> >>that will allow me to access a recovery partition.

> >>I can borrow one but ideally I need to convert the CD to a memory
> >>stick.>

You should look at the message again.

Most messages of this nature mention a specific missing or corrupt
file in c:\windows\system32 but your situation could be different.
Often the file is not really missing or corrupt - XP is just a little
confused at the moment...

If you contact the manufacturer, their solution will likely be what is
the least effort for them - usually a complete reinstall and you don't
want to do that (I don't think).

Oops! Too late is sounds like. Too bad. The original problem goes
unresolved.

Do you still have the problem of booting on a USB device or is that
sorted out?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Visual Basic